What (Speccy) game are you currently playing ?

Comments

• If you don't want your thumb to hurt while playing Chronos you need to Jing it Baby ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Eh?
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Exactly :)
    I'm assuming it's a reference to a way of playing a guitar or something - like the Chronos is an instrument.
    I don't know - maybe we're just missing something...

Tell you what though - my thumb really was in a hoop though(not literally.....man...hope that's not what it means)
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • The main two Spectrum games I still play to this very day (literally!) are Chaos and Chase H.Q, but with a slight twist to keep them interesting.

With Chaos I now never use illusions vs the AI. Had 2 games today, both 8 wizard death battles with level 8 enemy Wizards. The first one I played wizards 4 and 5 and got absolutely destroyed but the 2nd match I played wizard 3 and managed to just squeeze out a win thanks to an enemy wizard stepping out of a Magic Wood for no apparent reason on what may have been the final turn before a draw. I also got a 10% Green Dragon which was hype a.f!

With Chase H.Q I make sure to go the wrong way at the junction. This means (depending on stage) you have to drive almost perfectly to catch the enemy car, meaning you will more often need to use a boost just to reach them, which adds pressure to the ramming phase. I have beaten the game one time this way I think (maybe) but it is generally just beyond me and I still have yet to do it without losing a continue. Highly recommended!

I was playing Operation Wolf until fairly recently, going for non-civilian kills runs and then extending that to non-bird killing runs as well but I kinda got bored of it.

Travel With Trashman is also fun to play from time to time! I go for the most outlandish routes around the globe I can, burning as much cash as possible on unncessary flights if possible. The last one I did I actually managed to go to every region on the globe but get myself deported from Russia and "stranded" back in Blighty for the end of the game.

Will check out the thread for any games I may be missing but obviously with a PS4 here it is tough for speccy games to compete! Maybe could be fun delving into the text adventures, anyone got recommendations in that genre? :)
  • Lebowsk1 wrote: »
    Maybe could be fun delving into the text adventures, anyone got recommendations in that genre? :)

Some that I have enjoyed:

Hampstead
    Mindshadow
    The Gerbil Riot of '67
    The Great Peepingham Train Robbery
    Bugsy
    A Legacy for Alaric
    Agatha's Folly

• I always liked a bit of seabase delta.
    Also Questprobe 2: SPIDERMAN.

Prob goes without saying really - TwinKingdomValley, Urban Upstart and Jolly Jacks Run Ashore......
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • Fat worm blows a sparky - wow
  • I'm trying to play cookie but I need a interface as it doesn't use a Sinclair joystick
  • Galaxians from Artic Computing .
    Another 16K masterpiece .
    Galaxians.gif
  • Daley Thompson Supertest 128K - played it drunk recently and got my highest ever score (42000), played it earlier and lost my last life at diving. To this day i have NEVER qualified in the triple jump!
  • What is the way to qualify for the triple jump? What's the knack?
  • edited February 14
    As far as I remember get 33degrees for the first 2 button presses and about 40 for the last - and obviously SPEED IS KEEEEY.
    *EDIT*
    Actually - just realised I was thinking of Hypersports....so maybe not the best advice.....
    Post edited by alanspec on
  • Yeah i didn't think speed mattered, never got that far in Hypersports either, always failed the gymnastic section. Good game though.
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Yeah i didn't think speed mattered, never got that far in Hypersports either, always failed the gymnastic section. Good game though.
    Well if it makes you feel any better - after posting that my 9 year old son got attracted by my hammering of the keyboard and came over for a look. Fortnite got ignored as he insisted on having a go of hypersports. He got to the Archery in 2 goes........after a while he gave up on the archery though and went back to fortnite.
  • I just had a go at Supertest - same thing for the triple jump - fast as you can then try get somewhere between 33 - 45 degrees for each jump - works for me anyway. Man I forgot just how annoying the penalties is....
  • I never liked the Giant Slalom event, used to get myself disqualified on purpose!
    I'll try that process on the Triple Jump next time i play it.
  • I tried your recommendations and i got a high of 12.61 on the triple jump but the qualifier rate is 12.80. I'll keep trying!
  • Donkey Kong .
    Difficult but nice .
    DonkeyKong.gif
  • Donkey Kong .
    Difficult but nice .
    DonkeyKong.gif

Arrghhh, wrong colours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/me waits for the screaming...

So far, so meh :)
  • Tried the Triple Jump again earlier but failed again!
    It can't be done!
  • zx1 wrote: »
    Tried the Triple Jump again earlier but failed again!
    It can't be done!

There's definitely something wrong with you. Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle jump(40) jump(40) jump(45)?

Then again - I can't score a single fookin penalty.
  • alanspec wrote: »
    zx1 wrote: »
    It can't be done!

There's definitely something wrong with you. Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle (Moggy's boobs) jump(Moggy's boobs) jump(Moggy's boobs) jump(Moggy's boobs), ugh!?

I corrected it for you! :))
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • alanspec wrote: »
    zx1 wrote: »
    It can't be done!

There's definitely something wrong with you. Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle jump(40) jump(40) jump(45)?

There's something wrong with the game! I'll try again soon. Penalties can be hard, you need to get a certain angle but can't remember what it is (45 perhaps?)
  • Playing Rogue Trooper.

Is alright.

• edited March 3
    Fearless Frank. One of my personal faves. Not that hard..but seems to go on forever and ever. Usually run out of steam. However despite what the author says about it on it's page here, being rough and rushed to make..I think its a very fine game. Says it was made by Visions Software..and no info on original release before being part of some St Michael pack. Addictive for some reason.

Mad Nurse by Firebird. A random play..and its quite funny in that old time speccy way. Nice and easy to play.Neat and tidy.
    Post edited by Ælita on
    On those afternoons in utopia..
  • Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    Playing Rogue Trooper.

Is alright.

I completed that back in the day when i got in on loan from the library. It's not bad but not great.
  • Just completed Arkanoid II 128k version without cheats, another notch on the joystick, nothing more enjoyable game wise when you complete a game without cheats :-D
  • ZEUS wrote: »
    Just completed Arkanoid II 128k version without cheats, another notch on the joystick, nothing more enjoyable game wise when you complete a game without cheats :-D

Well done! You must have excellent eyesight!
    Those backgrounds make my brain hurt!
    Just completed Arkanoid II 128k version without cheats, another notch on the joystick, nothing more enjoyable game wise when you complete a game without cheats :-D
    Well done! That must have been very tricky. I'm not great at breakout type games and only tend to get a few screens done (less if it's a game without power-ups and I can't spam the laser upgrade!).

Last weekend I finally set aside time to try and complete Everyone's A Wally without cheating. I partly succeeded. I worked out all the puzzles myself...
    Spoiler:
    ...but had 2 cheats enabled - one to stop the characters walking about and messing up where to find the items, and the other for infinite energy. Now I know what to do I'll have a stab at doing it properly, and then move on to trying Herbert's Dummy Run.

Well done! You must have excellent eyesight!
    Those backgrounds make my brain hurt!

Cheers mate, It's only the green screens that are a bit sore, here's the vid if interested :-)