What (Speccy) game are you currently playing ?

Comments

• edited August 2010
    After the other thread I've been having another go at Head over Heels.

Have also had a few minutes on Factory Breakout..
  • edited August 2010
    Hercules wrote: »
    Years ago back in '86 I had a cassette recorder I nick named chewy with good reason... the fookin' thing would chew up my tapes. It were some crap Dixon's data recorder that Dixon's included as part of their Spectrum 128 package my parents bought me that christmas... I went through three replacement data recorders. The last one I punched so hard i smashed the tape window to bits. Happy times were they... as for chewy...

That's incredible. I had the exact same problem with the same model of tape recorder with the Spectrum 128K+ in 1986. More proof that Dixons were evil.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited August 2010
    ... 24 years later and their still crap. I went into my local Curry's (was Dixons) and the shame shop I bought the Spectrum and tape recorder from all those years back). Here's what happened at another eventful day at that very store:

I had a browse at the some netbooks. It listed the type of processors each netbook on the display had, and their was a notice on the display marked 'ask staff about battery performance'. I go over to sales assistant at the till and ask how long the battery life would last on an Atom N450 compared with the Atom N270. He moans 'How do we suppose to now that?'. I said "Well, you are supposed to know, the sign says Asks assistant for details".... The nob then tried to google my question. Spent 10 minutes waiting, got pissed off, left the store. PC World is even worse... they fool you into buying a copy of Norton Internet Security which is the biggest pile of scrote of an anti virus program money can buy...
  • I've been playing a lot of Stop the Express on ZXDS. It's such an addictive game!
  • edited August 2010
    Hercules wrote: »
    That's unlucky Graz. I quite surprised why you still load up with tapes when their IDE solutions for Speccy to load up stuff from compact flash card...

Yeah, I know, but that's just not how I play Speccy games. The choosing method is also very important to the enjoyment of the game, and so I like to scour the shelves and pull out the cassettes to view the covers before I make a decision on what game to play. CF cards are a bit big to fit in with the cassettes, but I might be able to slot an SD card in each case. I'd have to buy 1 card per game though. :D

I do play Speccy stuff on my GP2X though... But I don't count that. :)

Sooo, currently no Speccy games for me as I've got a few busy days ahead. May get a bit o' Gameparkin' on the train tho, so that'll be a dose of Cybernoid practice for when I play it properly next week. :lol:
  • edited August 2010
    This week, I have mostly been working my way through "C" games, trying to sort out names, double files, etc....so....

Cannon Bubble
    Captain Trueno
    Catch 23
    Castle Master
    Chuckie Egg 1&2
    CJ 1 & 2
    Crackdown
    Cybernoid 1 & 2
    Cabal
  • Today I have mostly been playing...

Horace Goes Skiing
    Mikie
    Tapper
  • edited September 2010
    Recently I downloaded some games I've never played before:

- Batman the Caped Crusader, great game by Joffa.

- Formula One by CRL, interesting game.

- The Games, Summer/Winter Edition: Another multi-load sport games, boring.

- A Day in the Life, simple & funny game. I've never played a game where the main character is uncle Clive!

- Jewels of Babylon. Text adventure with good graphics. Stuck in the first screen, as always! :smile:
  • edited September 2010
    Recently I downloaded some games I've never played before:

- Batman the Caped Crusader, great game by Joffa.

- Formula One by CRL, interesting game.

- A Day in the Life, simple & funny game. I've never played a game where the main character is uncle Clive!

- Jewels of Babylon. Text adventure with good graphics. Stuck in the first screen, as always! :smile:

some nice games there , have a look at c5 clive , its the main man - in a c5 !

been playing Velnors Lair today and Sherlock .
  • fogfog
    edited September 2010
    [QUOTE=JuanF. Ramirez;472496

[/QUOTE]

I used to like it on c64.. disk version, summer edition :)

it's a port of an epyx c64 game.. so sometimes they don't work as well .. should

try it on that machine perhaps
  • edited September 2010
    Daley Thompsons Decathlon - been hammering it , didn't remember it being so easy ?
  • Rescue, Survivors and Strangeloop have been getting a workout recently.
  • edited September 2010
    Oracles Cave! Got it today courtesy of the preservation shop, aint played it in years!
  • Macc wrote: »
    Oracles Cave! Got it today courtesy of the preservation shop, aint played it in years!

Top-notch game that one!
  • edited September 2010
    Started playing the Spiderman adventure game again earlier, and I still haven't the first clue what I'm supposed to be doing!
  • edited September 2010
    One day....just one day, I'll see one of you lot playing one of my games!

An what Fog said, the games summer/winter edition, wasn't that just summer games II and winter games?

There was an original summer games on the 64, was ok, but Summer games II on the 64 was superb...California games was cack.
  • edited September 2010
    bobs wrote: »
    Horace in the Mystic Woods. ;)

Cruelty!

For shame!!! ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited September 2010
    Sock_Shock wrote: »
    One day....just one day, I'll see one of you lot playing one of my games!

Could you please visit this thread and, if possible provide an answer as to who SJS is.

BTW That was a good game ... (too bad it carried the Gauntlet name (imho).)
  • edited September 2010
    Done.
  • edited September 2010
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    Could you please visit this thread and, if possible provide an answer as to who SJS is.

BTW That was a good game ... (too bad it carried the Gauntlet name (imho).)

Y'know, I didnt really play the previous Gauntlet games...had 10 down the arcade a couple of times...don't think I ever saw the Speccy version...prolly saw the 64 one, and was left with the same feeing of nothingness form playing the arcade version.

We never set out to make a "Gauntlet" game as such, we were approached I think by US gold to do a new version of it, I think they just wanted more of the same with a few more bells and whistles.

I have no idea who came up with the 3d aspect of it, all I know is we did it...and, as much maligned at Creations as he was, Dean (Bellfield) was an excellent speccy (and Amstrad) programmer.

I kind of miss him in a funny way, last time I spoke to him, he was working for BT, and very bitter about the games industry.
  • fogfog
    edited September 2010
    Sock_Shock wrote: »
    An what Fog said, the games summer/winter edition, wasn't that just summer games II and winter games?

There was an original summer games on the 64, was ok, but Summer games II on the 64 was superb...California games was cack.

ok. there was winter games.. (48k and 128k on speccy) ... originally a 64 game by epyx (out on atari 8 bit also)

summer games 1+2... I have summer games, here on 64.. quiksilva (not US gold distributed it in the uk).. and US gold got the rights 2 second one and the other epyx games.

"the games" was a separate thing / different events. I think they only made winter / summer..

here's the lineup >

1. Summer Games
    2. Summer Games II
    3. Winter Games
    4. World Games
    5. California Games
    6. Games - Winter Edition, The
    7. Games - Summer Edition, The
  • edited September 2010
    Good lord....you "Games" nerd you.
  • edited September 2010
    CHAOS!!

+ a little football Manager and Lazer Squad.
    Also been doin' a few tunes on WHAM haha!

ROCK ON 2 CHANNEL SOUND STYLE!
  • edited September 2010
    I.D by CRL , a very odd game .
  • edited September 2010
    found the time (in-between the fallout/mass effect - 3D gallore) to play Laser Squad again..
    what a game!
    So simple, so straightforward.
    brilliant! really have to check the other Julian Gollop Strategy games someday.

greetz!
  • zx1zx1
    edited September 2010
    Been playing Monty on the run but still can't get very far into it.
    Also been getting into footie management games, have spent time playing Soccer Boss and On The Bench recently, both good football management games.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited September 2010
    Cybernoid. Made it into level 3 now and thinking I can't have too far to go before I finish the game/levels start repeating?

Cybernoid pro-tip! If you're in a room with rockets and also a troublesome plant enemy, then your seeker will annoyingly go for the rockets first. Your best bet is to get diagonal to the plant and let off a bounce shot!
  • edited September 2010
    Trying Temple Of Vran again. I remember it being difficult enough in the 80s as a youngster, but it's still as hard now!
  • edited September 2010
    Chuckie Egg
    Chiller, which Im really enjoying at the moment. :smile: