Ok, I'm going for 3 of the most obvious:

Impossamole
Renegade 3
Chase H.Q 2

Post edited by Swainy on

Comments

• edited October 2003
    Definetely Magnetron (Quazatron 2).

Travel with Trashman, Barbarian II, Beach Head II, Bomb Jack II and Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge also spring to my mind.

[ This Message was edited by: Paul van der Laan on 2003-10-13 15:48 ]
  • edited October 2003
    On 2003-10-13 15:46, Paul van der Laan wrote:

Travel with Trashman, Barbarian II, Beach Head II, Bomb Jack II and Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge also spring to my mind.

Slightly of topic,

now I really know that I have to try Trashman (crashes right away in the emulator that I've used), because I really liked Travel with Trashman already in the 80's and I still play it every now and then. It has a certain atmosphere and ingenuity, which builds my expectation for the original Trashman game.

SpecMem
  • edited October 2003
    monty is innocent was pretty poor compared to the 1st , i know some say that it wasnt the true follow up but at the time of release it sure was billed that way. Way of the exploding fist 2 was dreadful compared to the 1st one and also dare i say - Jet set willy 2 , i remember loading it up and thinking , what the hell is this ? felt like id be severly ripped off , not a terrible game but it felt like a con at the time (i was only 14 at the time and money had to be spent carefully ).
  • edited October 2003
    Got to agree with Travels with Trashman and Bombjack II (and mighty bombjack too).

Very poor.
  • edited October 2003
    Strider 2. Utter Pish.
  • edited October 2003
    Wizkid!

Admittedly it's not a Speccy game, but after Wizball... oh dear...

[ This Message was edited by: The Mighty Dopethrone on 2003-10-13 21:24 ]
  • edited October 2003
    On 2003-10-13 15:46, Paul van der Laan wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Paul van der Laan on 2003-10-13 15:48 ]

I really liked Beach Head 2 (hated Beach Head) once you got past the first bit. The second stage was a bit like Action Force 2 but about 50 times slower!!

I've played some crap sequels which have already been named (Magnetron, Bomb Jack 2) but for me the most disappointing sequel to a game I loved would have to be Lunar Jetman.

It should have been a game I fell in love with (it was the sequel to Jetpac after all), but I found it hard, then irritating, then downright boring all within about 15 minutes.

Even now I can't bring myself to enjoy it even though I can complete the objective, I just can't forgive it!!!
  • edited October 2003
    I'd say Renegade 3 would be my first choice, but also found dissapointing:

Airwolf 2
    Alien Highway
    Freddy Hardest in South Manhattan
  • edited October 2003
    Well, I agree with Renegade 3, but liked Travel with trashman and Beach Head 2... Also didn't like Alien Highway too much...
  • edited October 2003
    Lunar Jetman defintitely! After the simple but maddeningly addictive Jet Pac, I had trouble getting into Lunar Jetman.

• edited November 2003
    Ye gods, how could I forget...

Crystal Kingdom Dizzy!

I never saw the original release... I lost track of how many Diz games had been released when Codemasters started churning out "The Dizzy Collection" and the like, so this one completely passed me by. But then, shortly after discovering the wonderful world of Speccy emulation, I found CKD.

What an absolute, complete and utter turd!

With no instructions, it took a while to figure out that I could go into the houses... but after that I had the game cracked first time round...

...and don't even get me started on the Dizzy-spins-three-times-then-falls-straight animation, or the Nintendoesque floaty numbers when Diz picked up a cherry (which also seemed utterly pointless)...

In terms of dead-easy games that I finished far too soon, only Super Mario Land 2 comes close, and I beat that within a few days of its release.
  • edited November 2003
    On 2003-10-13 21:23, The Mighty Dopethrone wrote:
    Wizkid!

Really? I thought it was a corking game. Especially the bit where the dog is sat on the toilet reading the newspaper.
  • edited November 2003
    Not so much a sequel, but who can remember parting with ten quid for Bubbler and Martianoids.
  • edited November 2003
    Bearing in mind that I only owned my Speccy from January '84 to April '85, I would have to nominate Alien 8. After Knight Lore, it just seemed like a reprise in a SF setting. I didn't play it for long.....
  • edited November 2003
    Hmm, I've double-posted!

I thought Jet Set Willy was inferior to Manic Miner. Having recently played them both, I think I'll stick to my guns. Manic Miner's tighter gameplay is a lot better IMO.

[ This Message was edited by: Blunderbuss on 2003-11-06 21:46 ]
  • edited November 2003
    On 2003-11-06 04:14, chaosmongers wrote:
    On 2003-10-13 21:23, The Mighty Dopethrone wrote:
    Wizkid!

Really? I thought it was a corking game. Especially the bit where the dog is sat on the toilet reading the newspaper.

I agree, if anything wizkid was one of the most underated sequels EVER!!!!

Catching bricks with your gob and chucking them around was great fun....I played it recently on winuae(tv out)and it's as good as ever....nice soundtrack too!
  • edited November 2003
    Bombjack 2 for me, i was so looking forward 2 this game after thoroughly enjoying the first one, but there we go :(
  • edited November 2003
    Crystal Kingdom Dizzy was the worst for me.

I was a great fan of the Dizzy games (the proper ones - Treasure Island, Fantasy World, Magicland, Spellbound, Prince of the Yolkfolk - not the spin-offs - Fast Food, Kwik Snax). Each one brought something different and they were all budget price.

CKD was the first full-price dizzy game, but I got it anyway. What a major rip off. It was nothing like the others, it was set in different locations with only a few things to do in each. Utter crap.
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • edited January 2004
    Have to agree with Renegade 3. It was turd. Operation Thunderbolt was terrible as well (I quite liked Op Wolf) and Yi Ar Kung Fu 2 was a disaster.
  • edited January 2004
    I agree with Bomb Jack II being disppointint, although this is not the fault of Elite as the arcade version it is based on is also rubbish. I still love the original though.

Arkanoid 2 was a bit messy graphically compared to the first one and Batty.

At the time, I loved JSW but going back to the games now I find it fairly pointless compared to the challenge that is Manic Miner.
  • edited January 2004
    Am I the only one here who liked Travel with Trashman more than the first Trashman? Lunar Jetman more than Jetpac? Barbarian II more than Barbarian? And please come on, how can you compare the bland and sketchy graphics of the first Arkanoid with the superbly detailed and colourful ones of its follow-up? Bomb Jack II was not a bad game in itself but went pretty pale when compared with the first instalment.

Anyway, for worst sequels, in my opinion:

- Renegade III: pretty much like flogging a dead horse, plus a weak parody/comic book style that didn't quite fit in with the two previous games.

- Out Run Europa: The Spectrum version of Out Run still seems one of those "love-it-or-hate-it" games; I absolutely love it! And Turbo Out Run was even better. But Out Run Europa... a waste of a licence, 'nuff said.

- Freddy Hardest in South Manhattan: I loved the first Freddy Hardest, so imagine how disappointing it was for me to find poor Freddy thrown into a load of rubbish like that horrible sequel.

- Yie Ar Kung Fu II: besides having cruder graphics than the first, I finished it on my second go or something...

- Magnetron: Steve Turner is a genius, but I guess he has his low moments like everybody else. Magnetron is one of these. A disappointing sequel with a terrible sub-game - how different from the frantic battles of Quazatron.

- BMX Simulator II: the first game was a little gem, the second one has messy graphics, badly designed courses and sluggy controls.
  • edited January 2004
    alessandro - you are not alone dude ! i love travels with trashman and lunar jetman.
  • edited January 2004
    Bad Sequels... hmmm? Renegade 3 was dreadful also thought Turrican 2 was a washout as well. Adding to this, considering that Agent X was very good the same cannot be said for it's sequel. (rips off Side/Crosswize, JSW and Arkanoid if I remember). And Lastly Duet (Elite's Commando sequel).
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-28 10:19, sirclive1 wrote:
    alessandro - you are not alone dude ! i love travels with trashman and lunar jetman.
    Phew! Thank you mate, looks like there's something we agree upon after all :)
  • edited January 2004
    Have you tried the remake of lunar jetman on the retrospec website ? plays really well.
  • edited January 2004
    I thought people would forget about Bomb Jack II but I guess not! A major letdown for sure (why the hell did they take his powers and bombs away?! That's the anti-Bomb Jack!)

Renegade III of course, though I have to admit it only dawned on me later because I tried ever so hard to love that game.

I knew some of you would say JSW II but I have to disagree. I think the further you get into that game you are rewarded (the stuff with the Beach, the space screens and you could actually complete the thing being the payoff). JSW III, though not an official sequel was a pile of tosh.

The last Dizzy game was awful.

Guantlet II was a bit of a let down also. After the Deeper Dungeons you might wish to put the blame on the Guantlet II coin-op but I was expecting US Gold to at least improve the graphics, sound, etc. And if not, as they didn't, they could have just released it as an add on to Guantlet! Obviously not an option when you think about sales.

How about CJ In The USA? Wasn't a patch on the original IMO and didn't add anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Halfpenny on 2004-01-28 17:23 ]
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-28 17:22, Steve Halfpenny wrote:
    Guantlet II was a bit of a let down also. After the Deeper Dungeons you might wish to put the blame on the Guantlet II coin-op but I was expecting US Gold to at least improve the graphics, sound, etc. And if not, as they didn't, they could have just released it as an add on to Guantlet! Obviously not an option when you think about sales.

Gauntlet, you mean? :p Coin-op conversions sometimes actually omitted features from the original, and you wanted extra things? Come on... And how on earth could US Gold release Gauntlet II just as an add-on for Gauntlet, since
    a) Gauntlet II was another, different coin-op, thus requiring a separate license which of course costed US Gold a lot of money (while there was no Deeper Dungeons original arcade machine), and
    b) the home computer versions of it were released in December 1987, that is to say one year and a half after the first game?

BTW, the Gauntlet series is excellent and I play it still to this day :)

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-01-28 19:46 ]
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-28 19:44, Alessandro Grussu wrote:

Gauntlet, you mean? :p

Er, yeah... f'ed up there...
    Coin-op conversions sometimes actually omitted features from the original, and you wanted extra things? Come on...

No. I didn't say that. US Gold never took the time to improve over the original's graphics on the Spectrum. They just ported them over to the sequel. That's what bugged me.
    And how on earth could US Gold release Gauntlet II just as an add-on for Gauntlet, since
    a) Gauntlet II was another, different coin-op, thus requiring a separate license which of course costed US Gold a lot of money (while there was no Deeper Dungeons original arcade machine), and
    b) the home computer versions of it were released in December 1987, that is to say one year and a half after the first game?

I appreciate that as I hinted at in my last post. But in bringing up those two points, you've backed up my original claim.
    a) If Gauntlet II cost so much money there should have been more effort put into the conversion.
    b) If Ganutlet II was released a year and a half after the original game, why does it look the same? You're telling me Speccy games never improved visually? I think you'll find that they did.

In closing I would like to say that I too enjoyed all the games in this series but I did feel disappointed with the sequel. That's what Swainy asked for in this topic.
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-28 19:44, Alessandro Grussu wrote:

Gauntlet, you mean? :p

Er, yeah... f'ed up there...
    Coin-op conversions sometimes actually omitted features from the original, and you wanted extra things? Come on...

No. I didn't say that. US Gold never took the time to improve over the original's graphics on the Spectrum. They just ported them over to the sequel. That's what bugged me.
    And how on earth could US Gold release Gauntlet II just as an add-on for Gauntlet, since

I appreciate that as I hinted at in my last post. The reason I said it, which was made clear I thought, was because Gauntlet II on the Speccy was just Gauntlet with different stages, if you catch my drift. It could have been done regardless of money, licences, time of releases, etc, etc. But in bringing up those two points, you've backed up my original claim.
    a) If Gauntlet II cost so much money there should have been more effort put into the conversion.
    b) Similarly, if Ganutlet II was released a year and a half after the original game, why does it look the same? You're telling me Speccy games never improved visually? I think you'll find that they did.

In closing I would like to say that I too enjoyed all the games in this series but I did feel disappointed with the sequel. That's what Swainy asked for in this topic.

[ This Message was edited by: Steve Halfpenny on 2004-01-29 00:10 ]
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-28 23:59, Steve Halfpenny wrote:
    I appreciate that as I hinted at in my last post. The reason I said it, which was made clear I thought, was because Gauntlet II on the Speccy was just Gauntlet with different stages, if you catch my drift.

And the new monsters? And the IT factor? You found them in the coin-op, you found them in the Spectrum conversion...
    It could have been done regardless of money, licences, time of releases, etc, etc. But in bringing up those two points, you've backed up my original claim.

Not quite, my friend, because...

The conversion is as close to the arcade as you can get. See also below.
    b) Similarly, if Ganutlet II was released a year and a half after the original game, why does it look the same?

Play the original Atari game with MAME and tell me if it does not use the same sprites and overall sound and graphics style. It's Atari you should blame, if you feel so baffled.
    You're telling me Speccy games never improved visually? I think you'll find that they did.

I've been interested in Spectrum gaming for 20 years by now, so you are telling me nothing new :D

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-01-29 12:22 ]