Most Disappointing Speccy Sequel

Comments

• edited January 2004
    ...Just to say:
    Travel with Trashman RULES!

(while Bomb Jack 2 is an acceptable game)

Spy vs Spy 3 were bad piece of code.
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-29 12:20, Alessandro Grussu wrote:
    The conversion is as close to the arcade as you can get.

That's your opinion and I'm afraid that's all it comes down to unless someone were to re-port it or something.

I still feel as though they could have done a better job personally but you're probably right in hindsight that most of blame should go on Atari and the coin-op itself, not US Gold.

Overall, all your points, right or wrong, are still not going to take away the disappointment I once felt for this game (and I've just noticed that Crash were also a bit down on GII as well so I wasn't alone! :D).
  • edited February 2004
    By far and away the most disappointing sequel I had the misfortune to play was Starglider 2, the first game had perfect controls, great graphics for the time and was a frantic blaster unmatched in My opinion on the machine.
    It was also the first time I heard speech so clearly in a game.
    The sequel parted me with ?15 and threw away every single good thing in the original.
    Renegade 3 runs it a close second.
  • edited May 2004
    Add me to the 'Wizkid was great' pile. I actually got a reader-review of it printed in an Amiga magazine many years ago.

Bomb Jack 2 and SCI were both inferior sequels in the arcades, and both were worse conversions than the originals, and I didn't really enjoy either.
  • edited May 2004
    I play a lot of MAME titles and i've never seen a Bombjack II. Theres Bombjack Twin which is basically the same gameplay as Bombjack but different graphics etc.

Bombjack is superb both MAME and speccy but Bombjack II i've only ever seen on home computers.
  • edited May 2004
    I confirm that to my knowledge Bomb Jack II was not a coin-op conversion. Not a bad game in my opinion, but not as half as exciting as the first one.

About CJ in the USA: Yes it added something to the first CJ - a severe case of sprite flickering :p

[ This Message was edited by: Alessandro Grussu on 2004-05-11 16:06 ]
  • edited May 2004
    Starglider2 was pants on the speccy , but it was mindblowing on the amiga honest ;)
  • edited May 2004
    Bomb Jack 2 was, indeed, bollocks.

As for the Dizzy spin-offs I have to admit I loved Fast Food Dizzy! It was like a clever mans Pacman, I thought it was/is ace :)

And the animations between each level are still impressive to me...
  • PagPag
    edited May 2004
    Looks like Bomb Jack II is universally hated (also by me as well). I remember being very disappointed with Yie Ar Kung Fu 2. Loved the original, though the game did not love my joysticks (I destroyed two playing it).
  • edited May 2004
    On 2004-05-11 21:20, Pag wrote:
    Looks like Bomb Jack II is universally hated
    Not by me - please read above post more carefully :) It's OK, but not a patch on the first one.
    I remember being very disappointed with Yie Ar Kung Fu 2. Loved the original, though the game did not love my joysticks (I destroyed two playing it).
    How? :confused: It's so slow-paced, especially when compared with the first one (that being a corker instead!). BTW I completed it on my third go without using the invulnerability. Easy peasy one really. Looks like it's another sequel coming "out of the blue" in a certain way, because - to my knowledge - Konami never made a coin-op of YAKFII. Like BJII.
  • edited May 2004
    I think he meant he destroyed 2 joysticks on the first Yie Ar Kung Fu game.
  • edited May 2004
    Well i suppose in a way Jet Set Willy II could be considered one of the worst sequels. At the end of the day it was just more rooms added onto the original game.

After all the hype and looking forward to the sequel of one of the biggest ever games at the time it was a huge huge letdown
  • edited May 2004
    For me the worst sequels I ever owned were Yie ar Kung Fu 2 (truly poor graphically and gameplay wise)

To top it off being a bad game, it was so easy too just standing there, walk into your enemy and button bash to beat all opponents until you completed it.
  • edited May 2004
    For me the worst sequel was Hyper Poo Creatures.
  • edited May 2004
    Its just a huge shame that Elite didnt release another version of Bombjack with just different designs of levels or even an extra feature or two.
  • edited May 2004
    Agreed, what's the point of making a sequel where you have less abilities? BJ2 couldn't fly! More levels would have been great and even a couple of melee moves (if done well).

Strider 2 was another crap sequel.
  • Rise from your grave!

I decided to give some of these rubbish sequels another go for fairness.

Operation Thunderbolt - it's basically unplayable. Too many enemies. The forward motion adds nothing but eye strain. The side scrolling levels are nicer to look at than Op Wolf's though. 3/10.

Barbarian 2 - I don't think Barbarian 1 was all that great (once you take out the flying neck chop it's basically worse than Sai Combat for example), but this is trash. Barely playable. For a game with not much colour it has some terrible clash too. 1/10

Yie Ar Kung Fu 2 - the first still plays well to be fair but this is awful. The fighting feels random and has a horrible shaky thing going on and the walking bits are rubbish. Same pretty much goes for WOTEF2 also. 2/10

Magnetron - it's like Quazatron which is top 3 Speccy greatness but lacks the soul and feels completely off. The grappling game is awful and the controls do not map to A, Z, K, M at all. 3/10

Renegade 3 - it's the worst trash. The levels are useless, the combat is embarrassingly bad and that walking jump animation. I hate it the most. 0/1000

• And seeing as this thread has been resurrected and I've seen my comment in it from 16+ years ago...

I have long since rescinded my views on Wizkid, it's one of those games that has to be played to a fair way through to be fully appreciated, and I clearly hadn't done that at the time. Probably some time in 2005-06 or so was when I finally gave it the attention it deserved. However, even now, I would suspect it to be impossible to down-convert for the Spectrum, even though it doesn't rely on the colour-mixing aspect which was the problem with the Spectrum's version of Wizball (one of the few games where I'll willingly concede the Bread Bin had the better deal).

I remain steadfast in what I said about Crystal Kingdom Dizzy, though - but at least we can now say "what might have been..." since the 2017 Russian remake of the 16-bit version, proving that it was possible all along, and it's a far more worthy seventh episoze in the Dizzy series than the original was. I would further assume that the people contracted to make the original CKD were the same who made Potsworth & Co., and a handful of other titles round about 1991-92 as they all share the same bold version of the ROM font, the same presentation at the title screen and the same score-graphics that were seen when picking up a bonus. It's almost as if they had their own AGD-type game engine and refused to change it in any way (when it probably wasn't worth it to do so) rather than make any attempt to make CKD look like the rest of the Dizzy series, whether or not it was ever going to play the correct way.
  • Glad you changed your mind about WizKid.
    It's a fantastic game!
  • Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    Renegade 3 - it's the worst trash. The levels are useless, the combat is embarrassingly bad and that walking jump animation. I hate it the most. 0/1000

I think you might have overrated this one a bit! :))
  • Starglider 2 was pretty impressive on the ST - I never knew what you were supposed to be doing in the first one. Though nowadays the sequel shows its age with a pretty terrible frame rate. And while we're talking 16-bit sequels Elite 2 was terrible; again, far too ambitious. It used curved spaceship designs that slowed the graphics down to a crawl to process. Gauntlet II on the ST though was quite the overhaul with dragons, power-up potions, and most importantly, a 4-player mode!

Back to the Speccy, I agree about Lunar Jetman. A deeply frustrating game to play.
    I do prefer Manic Miner to JSW, but there's no way you could say it was a 'disappointing' sequel.
    Gauntlet 3, now that was tedious!
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited May 14
    Here's one for starters: Neverending Story 2.

The original was a great game. One of my first tapes ever too. Really nice music, nice graphics and it was a text adventure too!

Well, the sequel is something completely different. I think I'll leave it by that. :)
    Post edited by Timmy on
    Barbarian 2 - this is trash. Barely playable. For a game with not much colour it has some terrible clash too. 1/10

Plus the way they used mockups to advertise the game where the sprites and backgrounds looked much better (and no system font either) than in the released game, just unforgivable!
    Vampyre wrote: »
    Lunar Jetman. Even now I can't bring myself to enjoy it even though I can complete the objective, I just can't forgive it!!!

Well, can you really complete it? After all, the only progression is that a new base spawns and the missile it fires takes more laser hits to destroy. The game doesn't really ever end, does it?

If there had been less annoying enemies swarming the screen all the time and none of that "let's make the jet pack burn through its fuel supply like there's no tomorrow despite it being infinite in the first game" crap the game could have been a real corker.
  • edited May 14
    Chuckie Egg 2. Having to do that dull single screen every game to get the bone was a real pain.
    Jetset Willy 2 also had this problem by having to go through the 'Macaroni Ted' and the 'Dumb Waiter' screens each time. It should of had a hole in the floor a bit like the BBC version.
    Post edited by cole on
    Operation Thunderbolt - it's basically unplayable. Too many enemies. The forward motion adds nothing but eye strain. The side scrolling levels are nicer to look at than Op Wolf's though. 3/10.

I wasn't ever a big fan of this type of game, but I found this was a lot more playable once someone pointed out that, in one player mode, you only need consider things on the left half of the screen. "Hits" on the right hand side only count against player 2, so you don't need to bother with them.
  • AndyC wrote: »
    Bluce_Ree wrote: »

I wasn't ever a big fan of this type of game, but I found this was a lot more playable once someone pointed out that, in one player mode, you only need consider things on the left half of the screen. "Hits" on the right hand side only count against player 2, so you don't need to bother with them.

Oh! Top info!
  • How about Fairlight II? It could have been a great game, if just finished properly and not hastely thrown together when Bo left.
  • cole wrote: »
    Chuckie Egg 2. Having to do that dull single screen every game to get the bone was a real pain
    But it had a save game feature, or do I remember incorrectly?
    Chuckie Egg 2 is one of my very favourite Speccy games. Everyone seems to hate it :(
  • Through the Trap Door was so disappointing to me after the joy that was the first game.

Trap Door was inventive and at the time felt like a sandbox game - even with a limited amount of screens there were so many things you could play with and it didn't stop you trying anything. The tasks had a nicely escalating difficulty level, from the easy "can of worms" to the trickier "boiled slimies".

By contrast the sequel was far more linear, and the difficulty level had been cranked up too. I'm sure it has its fans but for me it was a hugely wasted opportunity.
  • The Sam Coupe.