Most Disappointing Speccy Sequel

13»

Comments

• MinerWilly wrote: »
    How about Fairlight II? It could have been a great game, if just finished properly and not hastely thrown together when Bo left.

Nah it helps if the first game is actually good as well...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Willy and the Taxman, we never even got to see it let alone play it. Very disappointing.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • morph wrote: »
    The Sam Coupe.

I consider the Sinclair PC200 the direct sequel. Although is is disappointing because it had only 512Kb and not very expandable, it was stilish...
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • Wizkid was a brilliant game. I think it was unfairly criticised because it was related to Wizball, which tbh it never should have been , completely different games. Anybody expecting more arcade shoot emp up style Wizball was bound to be disappointed by what (at first look) appeared to be a glorified game of Breakout. Scratch beneath the surface though and you find an utterly enthralling, genuinely humorous game.

Beachhead II was predominantly a 2 player game. Yes it could be played 1 player, but it simply was designed for that. Absolutely brilliant on the C64, not so great on the Speccy.

Worst sequel ever is definitely Magnetron, partly because the original game was so good. How can you go from so right to so wrong in one game. Just a few tweaks, a few new weapons and upgrades, different maps and maybe a proper end to the game and it would have been a brilliant sequel. But instead all the best bits were thrown out, the simple-but-brilliant mini-transfer game swapped for something that was a complete mess and there you have it - a disaster.

Other poor sequels? I think President was a sequel to Diktator? The original was a brilliantly simple little game; lots of fun and playability. The sequel was a lot more complex, but lost the fun element. I never got on with Football Manager 2 either.
  • Turrican 2 was terrible.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited May 16
    Dan Dare 3 (though it has to be said - the graphics were very polished)
    Post edited by dmsmith on
  • Starstrike II - looked amazing, but was too slow and just not as fun and frantic as the first one.
  • Pobbit wrote: »
    Starstrike II - looked amazing, but was too slow and just not as fun and frantic as the first one.

Yes another game that replaced everything that was great about the original then overcomplicated it. It was probably technically brilliant, but not as fun to play as the first one.
  • I always enjoyed Technician Ted, even though it's very hard to actually complete the tasks it is fairly easy to just wander around and find new screens.

From memory (I haven't played it in years) Costa Capers was far more punishing when it came to just navigating your way around, let alone achieving anything, which is why I've never gone back to it (but I still play Technician Ted every now and then).
  • Everyones A Wally. The opening screen, with the characters wondering around, and the fountain breaking down, is magnificent. But the game then just becomes a grind, having to chase characters down, then find the object you need which could have been picked up and dropped anywhere. I will happily load Pyjamarama and play through it to completion every couple of years. I never really make it past the first couple of tasks in EAW.
  • Zup wrote: »
    morph wrote: »
    The Sam Coupe.

I consider the Sinclair PC200 the direct sequel. Although is is disappointing because it had only 512Kb and not very expandable, it was stilish...
    For a supposed gaming machine it needed a better graphics chipset than the one from the PPC512. Even Plantronics (which could do 320x200x16) would have been something, or preferably MCGA (320x200x256). And a Spectrum-on-a-card accessory so it could be a true upgrade.
  • I've seen Gauntlet III mentioned further up -- was that any better on other platforms? My recollection of it on the Spectrum was that it was not only slow and linear, but buggy too.
  • Zup wrote: »
    morph wrote: »
    The Sam Coupe.

The launch for that machine was a disaster, it was a shame as that or the SAM could have extended the Spectrum's lifespan by several years.
  • edited May 21
    As a supposed sequel to Green Bert, The Vindicator was pretty disappointing.
    Post edited by Bluce_Ree on
  • For me, SCI, the sequel to Chase HQ, was a bit disappointing after the original.
  • I've seen Gauntlet III mentioned further up -- was that any better on other platforms? My recollection of it on the Spectrum was that it was not only slow and linear, but buggy too.

I liked the third one, not played it for many years though.
  • edited May 23
    Gauntlet 3 is by far the worst game in the entire series...on any platform, not just the Speccy.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I'll need to looks into this further!
  • The Pyramid

Was better than

Doomsday Castle

Was better than

Backpackers Guide
  • What games have we got were the original was poor (or at best average), but the sequels were really great? IK+ would be one. Cauldron II is another and (whatever you think of Finders Keepers) Spellbound is vastly superior (imho).
  • edited July 6
    What games have we got were the original was poor (or at best average), but the sequels were really great?.

Automania and then pyjamarama.
    Zx81 and then zx spectrum
    Is rebelstar raiders a prequel to rebelstar?
    Post edited by morph on
  • Sorry have to disagree with you there. :)
    Automania was a solid arcade game, which played well and was challenging.
    Pyjamarama just took it to a different level and was a much bigger but different game.
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • edited July 14
    Automania is one of my go to pick up and play Speccy games, has been since the 80’s. It’s great even if the Laurel and Hardy theme tune makes you feel like your head’s going to burst after about 10 minutes.
    Post edited by dm_boozefreek on
  • What games have we got were the original was poor (or at best average), but the sequels were really great? IK+ would be one. Cauldron II is another and (whatever you think of Finders Keepers) Spellbound is vastly superior (imho).

Not sure if I would say it was super great, but I find Turbo Outrun is much better than Outrun.

• I thought that Action Force 2 was better than its prequel.