Games translation to English

edited August 2012 in Games
In this thread will released translated games to English (for example Czech/Spanish games...)

Here is first:

PEDRO NA OSTROVE PIRATOV
original version is here: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0003640
PedroNaOstrovePiratov.gif

translated version:
PEDRO ON THE PIRATE ISLE
- translation SLOVAK>EN by Fikee
- tap version by Roman Borik
- english title screen + logo by Pavero

Pedro1_en.png

http://velesoft.speccy.cz/other/Pedro1_en.zip
Post edited by velesoft on

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Great news !

Czech and Slovak games, especially from Proxima or Ultrasoft are very good.
    And there are some adventure ones like three parts of Pedro, Towdie or Kliatba Noci where language skills are necessary.

Try this Pedro game people, if you like Dizzy or Seymour style games you'll like this one.
  • edited September 2011
    And I would have a linguistic question to native English speakers :)

When do we say isle and when island? What's the difference?
  • edited September 2011
    Ralf wrote: »

Not much difference really. They mean the same thing. In the general sense, either can be used interchangeably.

Perhaps isle may sound slightly more poetic in some contexts.

Both isle or island can be used for large or small islands.

It's just that some islands happen to be called (something) island e.g. "Easter Island" and some are called isles e.g. "British Isles". In those cases, you would always use the correct word depending on the name. e.g. you would never say "I live on the British Islands" - it's just wrong, because the name is wrong. (It's not grammatically wrong).

For very small islands, islet is sometimes used.
  • edited September 2011
    well done, velesoftpaveroromanborikfikee.
  • edited September 2011
    Good news! Thanks for the effort, now there is no excuse to not play them ;)

And by the way, it would be great o be able to play this translated version in cassette, like Quadrax and Kliatba (which I have in original tapes), but since its a commercial game, there would be no chance for it to be distributed/published??
  • edited September 2011
    Yay! More games getting translated! Nice work, chaps!

I started a thread a couple of years ago requesting new translations to English, so I'm happy to see more stuff happening! :)

The more games translated to more languages the better, in my opinion! Then everyone can enjoy these gems! :D
  • edited September 2011
    Now if some gentle soul would care to translate from Russian the unofficial Spectrum versions of X-COM Ufo Defense and Terror From The Deep, I'd be very grateful :)
  • edited September 2011
    velesoft wrote: »
    PEDRO ON THE PIRATE ISLE
    - translation SLOVAK>EN by Fikee
    http://velesoft.speccy.cz/other/Pedro1_en.zip

sorry, but are you sure that credit for translation is correct ? i remember i wanted to translate it because someone was curious about Pedro games but i really don't remember that i did it.
  • edited September 2011
    Fikee wrote: »
    sorry, but are you sure that credit for translation is correct ? i remember i wanted to translate it because someone was curious about Pedro games but i really don't remember that i did it.

Pavero release this version of PEDRO with info about your translation :)
  • edited September 2011
    Very nice! If a translation project gets started, imagine how many "new" games we would get? :D

I remember starting a topic in Speccy.org asking for help with translating Spanish games to English but gave up because most games had the text stored a special way. But if someone sends me the text and just needs the translation (from Spanish to English or Portuguese to English) I can help.
  • edited September 2011
    This is great! There are lots of games that could do with being translated into English, to take them to as large an audience as possible, so thanks for this, and I look forward to seeing any other games you translate.

Do you have plans to translate Towdie, by the way, as that has always looked an interesting game?
  • edited September 2011
    What do you think of it ? (this is small piece of incomplete translation of russian adventure)
    control keys - Q,A,space/enter

http://zx.pk.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=18517&d=1276801188
  • edited September 2011

Didn't you translate it? I know, you published SNA snapshot with English translation on this forum some years ago. ;-)
  • edited September 2011

Island was too long, that's why 'isle' was used. ;-)
  • edited September 2011

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20360
  • edited September 2011
    g00db0y wrote: »
    What do you think of it ? (this is small piece of incomplete translation of russian adventure)
    control keys - Q,A,space/enter

http://zx.pk.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=18517&d=1276801188

Just had a quick go, and that is looking pretty good! I like the fact that it's got music...I always wondered why more 128k versions of adventure games didn't add it!
  • edited September 2011
    Great news !

And there are some adventure ones like three parts of Pedro, Towdie or Kliatba Noci where language skills are necessary.

English version of Towdie is on the way. But don't talk about it too much :).
  • edited September 2011
    This is right now the primary thread of awesomeness :)

There's loads of games I can't play properly because I can't understand them properly, it's like when you import Japanese games for a console, the game looks good, it's fun, but you have to guess your way through it.

Excellent! :D

.......and thanks!
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited September 2011
    Yeah, thanks from me too :)

I'm gonna give this one a go and look forward to any more that get translated. Seems like the kind of game I'll enjoy :D
  • edited September 2011
    deadpan666 wrote:
    Just had a quick go, and that is looking pretty good! I like the fact that it's got music...I always wondered why more 128k versions of adventure games didn't add it!
    this game 48/128 - all versions with music. 128k only uses for RamDisc
  • edited September 2011
    I have seen many russian games with high-quality(arcades,aventures...).
    Too bad they are not translated into English.
  • edited September 2011
    Arcade games usually don't need translations.

You just need to master the names for directions like arriba, abajo, izquierda, derecha.

There was some project about creating a table with most popular words used during redefining keyboard (like left, jump, hit, open and so on) translated into different languages. Anybody remembers where can it be found?
  • edited September 2011
    For some reason, the title does not sound quite right to me. "Pedro On The Island Of Pirates" or something like that sounds good. But it was perhaps due to the font used in the screen.

Anyway, there are a number of text adventures like Belegost, Město robotů, Podraz... that would make sence to get translated...
  • edited September 2011
    Arcade games usually don't need translations.

You just need to master the names for directions like arriba, abajo, izquierda, derecha.

There was some project about creating a table with most popular words used during redefining keyboard (like left, jump, hit, open and so on) translated into different languages. Anybody remembers where can it be found?

Google translator...

Czech > English
    VLEVO / DOLEVA -> LEFT
    VPRAVO / DOPRAVA -> RIGHT
    NAHORU -> UP
    DOLU -> DOWN
    STŘELA / AKCE -> FIRE
    PAUZA -> PAUSE
  • edited September 2011

Topic:
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16625

including a link to this wiki page in the first post:
    http://scratchpad.wikia.com/wiki/GameWords_Translation_Table
  • edited September 2011
    For some reason, the title does not sound quite right to me. "Pedro On The Island Of Pirates" or something like that sounds good. But it was perhaps due to the font used in the screen.

Oh, so I'm not the only one for whom there is something wrong with the title, but very hard to define.

You people say there is no difference but for me it feels that pirates go together with ISLAND not ISLE.

Google search:

ISLAND PIRATE - 100 million results

ISLE PIRATE - 15 million results

Nothing important however, thanks for the game!
  • edited September 2011
    maiki wrote: »

This is screen from Pavero:
    Pedro1_en.png pirate-isle.png

And here modified screen from me:
    pedro-island.png pirate-island.png
  • edited September 2011
    velesoft wrote: »
    And here modified screen from me:

And what about the title in the main menu? ;-)
  • edited September 2011
    maiki wrote: »
    Anyway, there are a number of text adventures like Belegost, Město robotů, Podraz... that would make sence to get translated...

Podraz was already translated nine years before... ;)
    Also some russian games... Abe's Escape, Dizzy X...

Check T.C.G. homepage ;)
    Speccy.cz
  • edited September 2011
    [Waking up from sleepy slumber]... er...what..?.. someone say "English Version" and "Towdie" together in the same sentence?... That might be worth waking up for!!! :p