Beta versions of Fuse 0.6.2 and libspectrum 0.2.1 available

edited February 2004 in Emulators
Dear all,

The Fuse team is pleased to announce the release of a beta version of the upcoming 0.6.2 release of Fuse and the Fuse utilities, as well as a beta version of the upcoming 0.2.1 release of libspectrum.

For those not aware of it, Fuse, the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, is an emulator of the ZX Spectrum and various clones for Unix-ish operating systems (including Mac OS X).

These available from the main Fuse web page or directly as:

http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/fuse-0.6.2pre1.tar.gz
http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/fuse-utils-0.6.2pre1.tar.gz
http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/libspectrum-0.2.1pre1.tar.gz

For details of the changes in these versions, please look at the respective ChangeLogs: Fuse, Fuse utilities, and libspectrum.

Please report any bugs, etc either via the SourceForge tracking system or via the development mailing list, fuse-emulator-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

[ This Message was edited by: Philip Kendall on 2004-01-17 16:54 ]
Post edited by Philip Kendall on

Comments

• edited January 2004
    Looks good particularly as it emulates the +3. Two questions:-

Does it support CP/M
    Is there a package available for SUSE and Mandrake?

Nick

• edited January 2004
    To quote from the Fuse webpage (as linked to above...):

"Miguel Barrio Orsikowsky has made Mandrake 9.1 and 9.2 packages of version 0.6.1.1 available"
  • edited January 2004
    There are now OS X versions available as well, with thanks to Fredrick Meunier: binaries and source.

I've also updated the Fuse tarball so it includes the necessary ui/uijoystick.[ch] files.
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-21 19:26, aowen wrote:
    On a real Timex it is possible to switch screen modes midway through drawing the screen.

This should have worked since 0.6.1 - Phil revised the display routines which enabled mixing display modes on a single screen (only one mode per scanline at the moment tho'), and I revised the display timing for more accuracy.

The only unknown at the moment is the exact number of tstates after an interrupt that the main display starts. I hope to have this sorted out sometime this year - if anyone has a handy test program I can run on my TC2048 to test this I'd be grateful!
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-19 23:06, Philip Kendall wrote:
    There are now OS X versions available as well, with thanks to Fredrick Meunier: binaries and source.

I'd like to test, but when I click for the binary I get a 403 forbidden. Am I doing something wrong?

[ This Message was edited by: Paul van der Laan on 2004-01-22 11:51 ]
  • edited January 2004
    Nope: I just forgot to make the files world readable. Now fixed...
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-05 09:34, aowen wrote:
    Damn. I had a screen somewhere that generated a mixed display from Basic. You could probably knock something up that would do it, along the lines of the:

10 BORDER 1:BORDER 2:BORDER 3: OUT 255,6: PAUSE 1: GOTO 10

kind of thing.

This kind of code works and looks pretty much the same as on a real TC2048 - the only question is whether the timing is accurate enough to generate the same kind of display as you need for your program (with the aforementioned limitation of one display mode per scanline)...
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-05 22:27, Fred wrote:
    This kind of code works and looks pretty much the same as on a real TC2048 - the only question is whether the timing is accurate enough to generate the same kind of display as you need for your program (with the aforementioned limitation of one display mode per scanline)...

Fred, I have a split-screen program that has a calibration phase at the beginning to adjust the T-state delay before the display mode is changed. I put the calibration phase in there as I wasn't sure myself what the timings are for a real machine and I was sure that different emulators do different things as this information is not readily available.

If you give me your email address (a private message?) I'll dig it up for you this weekend.
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-05 22:33, Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
    If you give me your email address (a private message?) I'll dig it up for you this weekend.

Look at the 'mail' link under Fred's message :) or just send it to the Fuse development list, fuse-emulator-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-06 11:19, Philip Kendall wrote:
    On 2004-02-05 22:33, Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:

Look at the 'mail' link under Fred's message :) or just send it to the Fuse development list, fuse-emulator-devel@lists.sourceforge.net

Christ, I must be blind. I swear I looked for the mail link and didn't see it. I'll send to you (Fred) and the devel list in case others are interested.
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-06 20:02, Alcoholics Anonymous wrote:
    Christ, I must be blind. I swear I looked for the mail link and didn't see it. I'll send to you (Fred) and the devel list in case others are interested.

You're not going blind - I added it after :)
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-02-06 23:00, Fred wrote:
    You're not going blind - I added it after :)

I'm glad you told me because sometimes I truly believe I'm in the onset of senility :)

If anyone else is interested, I also put it here:

http://www.geocities.com/aralbrec/tidbits/tidbits.htm

The only emulators this works on are Fuse and Multimachine.

vbSpec chooses a display mode and uses it the entire time it draws the display. I was trying to get Chris to implement split-screen but then he moved on to other things.

Warajevo looks like it's busy with an epileptic seizure as it changes the PC's video mode 60 times a second to accomodate a change in the ts2068's video mode.

Since upgrading to the latest DirectX sometime last year, Multimachine slows to a painful crawl when its window has focus, but operates just fine when its window does not have focus. This makes it unuseable for me now.

[ This Message was edited by: alcoholics anonymous on 2004-02-09 23:50 ]
  • edited February 2004

There's a small update that allows measuring video timing on a real Spectrum as well as a real Timex machine:

http://www.geocities.com/aralbrec/tidbits/tidbits.htm