The end of the road for the CD is near

zx1zx1
edited November 2011 in Chit chat
Well, it seems that cds are now definately on the road out. There was a report last week that Mercury will stop pressing cd's at the end of next year.
It seems everyone is downloading music now and not buying cds (look at HMV's sales, the same is going for DVDs). I personally prefer buying a cd as i like to have the music in my hands rather than a virtual library, its also easier to manage (you could lose your whole collection if you hard drive packs in, not so easy with cds).
The writing has been on the wall for the cd for a few years now but i don't want it to disappear just yet, i do have an mp3 but i only use that when i'm outside. If i listen to music in the house it's usually on my hi-fi, i've also heard that hi-fi's could also be obsolete eventually.
Post edited by zx1 on
We must perform a quirkafleeg

Comments

• edited November 2011
    Vinyl is still alive and kicking(depending on your music taste) - so if enough people want to keep a format alive it has a chance of staying around - even if it's just lurking in the shadows.
    "I should use simulator loosely 'cos I don't think it's quite like this on the beach with helicopters and fires and the jumping beach buggy" - paulisthebest3uk 2020.
  • edited November 2011
    Blargh! I still listen to cassettes sometimes...and everybody I know still makes mix CDs from the tracks they download, so they'll probably be around for a bit longer yet....

Sometimes the advancement of technology really sucks though, eh!?
  • edited November 2011
    zx1 wrote: »
    Well, it seems that cds are now definately on the road out. There was a report last week that Mercury will stop pressing cd's at the end of next year.
    It seems everyone is downloading music now and not buying cds (look at HMV's sales, the same is going for DVDs). I personally prefer buying a cd as i like to have the music in my hands rather than a virtual library, its also easier to manage (you could lose your whole collection if you hard drive packs in, not so easy with cds).
    The writing has been on the wall for the cd for a few years now but i don't want it to disappear just yet, i do have an mp3 but i only use that when i'm outside. If i listen to music in the house it's usually on my hi-fi, i've also heard that hi-fi's could also be obsolete eventually.
    CD's (and vinyl) will be around for some time yet.

None of the big 5 record companies (EMI, Warner Music, Sony, Universal and BMG) have any plans to stop producing CD's any time soon.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited November 2011
    Isn't Mercury now one of Universal's labels? I think it was Universal who bought out Phonogram.
    Chris
  • edited November 2011
    hypostomus wrote: »
    Isn't Mercury now one of Universal's labels? I think it was Universal who bought out Phonogram.
    Chris
    Yep, it is.
  • edited November 2011
    Incidentally what Mercury actually said was they are to stop producing CD and vinyl singles by the end of next year.
  • edited November 2011
    karingal wrote: »
    Incidentally what Mercury actually said was they are to stop producing CD and vinyl singles by the end of next year.

12" singles will still be pressed on vinyl though, surely? I only know a handful of DJs that are happy to make the transition from vinyl to digital. I for one don't care how fancy they make these CD and mp3 decks with flywheels and whatnot, still doesn't beat having a big old vinyl disc to throw around a turntable.
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2011
    I'm actually listening to Deep Purple's Fireball right now on vinyl and i think it sounds great, i love vinyl! I've got a 18 year old cousin that has never heard or seen a vinyl record (or a cassette for that matter), a shame really.
    I have boxes of cassettes and vinyl and i'll be keeping them for a long time yet
  • I won't be buying the next Beatles album if it's not on CD.
  • edited November 2011
    I won't be buying the next Beatles album if it's not on CD.
    prolly already got it forty zillion times lol
    on 8 track cartridge, cassette, double cassett, vinyl, double vinyl, cd, double cd, double cd with dvd, double cd with dvd and book

edit - best not ****in disappear i love to hold my music, read it, listen to it and smell it :P
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2011
    prolly already got it forty zillion times lol
    on 8 track cartridge, cassette, double cassett, vinyl, double vinyl, cd, double cd, double cd with dvd, double cd with dvd and book

edit - best not ****in disappear i love to hold my music, read it, listen to it and smell it :P

You like to sniff cds?? hmmm............:smile:
  • edited November 2011
    CDs aren't going to disappear any time soon, neither will DVDs or Blu Ray or videogames in boxes or any of the other things that bored journalists will tell us is "on the way out".

What is happening is that there's a downturn in the sale of physical media corresponding with an upturn in the sale of digital media. The latter is becoming more and more firmly established and the former is losing its previous dominance of media sales.

It might be the case that digital sales will become so dominant that the main producers of media will stop selling physical media leaving it in the hands of a fringe market for people who like "collectables" or nostalgists. However I don't see that happening for at least a decade for the following reasons:

* A lot of people who buy films/music/games prefer physical media and don't see the point in changing to digital-only. There is no increase in quality with digital media (some would argue the opposite), it's simply more convenient.

* Digital media is cheaper but, in many cases, only marginally. You can get an album on CD for about the same price as downloading it to your HD.

* Physical media means you own a physical copy which nobody can take away from you. Physical media is more "fragile" and it opens the doors for "media on loan/demand" whereby the industry could use a "pay as you go" system whereby you can only "own" the music/film/game for a limited period, thereby squeezing more money out of consumers.
  • edited November 2011
    Hehehe..just wait for the predicted solar flares next year, that'll wipe out everybody's downloads...that'll show them the benefits of CD's! :D

Of course, they'll also potentially knacker all the CD players and computers and everything too...if they don't end up destroying Earth itself.... :(

...Damn....
  • edited November 2011
    wtf? It wasn't that long ago, that my brother was announcing that they were going to read data from CD's on the computers at work!

Well, it was quite a long time ago, but. even so.
  • edited November 2011
    My vinyl collection is coming along nicely.

Next on the List U2 - The Joshua Tree.
  • edited November 2011
    there is nothing like ls vinyl and cassettes. Also with vinyl you have to use a record player that uses valves and not this cheap chip crap it really brings the sound alive for me.

Cassettes on the other hand are much better as I have a modern Sony cassette player and i have to admit the sound on it is amazing.
  • edited November 2011
    I still play the odd audio cassette and i use an old Sony walkman,although the walkmans main job is to load Starship Command on my Acorn Electron :)
  • edited November 2011
    You like to sniff cds?? hmmm............:smile:
    nobody else sniffs em?

****in weirdos
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited November 2011
    You like to sniff cds??

What an odd way to spell "bicycle seats" ...
  • CD's are crap! Far more vulnerable than vinyl, okay yes a scratched record is pretty useless but unless you're really careless it shouldnt happen. CD's though, get weird sort of shadowy blisters that make them unusable, even pristine looking ones skip, I have always hated the bloody things. I've got Sgt Pepper on vinyl - the original issue - and on CD and you can tell the difference immediately listening to them. The vinyl sounds richer, also has stuff that the CD apparently doesn't, little sounds, details that stand out when they are missing. As for DVD's I prefer them to BluRay. I notice I'm not alone in this, Walmart keeps lowering their BluRay prices and they still have great bargain bins full of them. All this techno upgrade crap is a scam in my opinion and I still use and like audio cassettes probably the most practical miniaturization of them all.
  • Note to zx1.

You can still buy CD's in shops and new ones are still being produced every month 5 years on...
  • They said that about vinyl, now it is all the rage again !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • mik3d3nch wrote: »
    As for DVD's I prefer them to BluRay.
    Why? You don't give a reason...
    While you give a reason for your preference for vinyl over CDs, I still think that's pretty subjective.
    But why would you prefer DVDs over BluRay? Even the most ignorant technophobe can see the benefit of high definition...
  • Gwyn wrote: »
    While you give a reason for your preference for vinyl over CDs, I still think that's pretty subjective.
    But why would you prefer DVDs over BluRay? Even the most ignorant technophobe can see the benefit of high definition...

The reason is surely the same? He just prefers lower quality recordings. :p
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »
    Gwyn wrote: »

The reason is surely the same? He just prefers lower quality recordings. :p
    Well not quite true, yes blu-ray have a high definition than DVD and are therefore a better quality but the same cannot be said of CD's and vinyl, you're comparing digital to analog recordings.
  • edited October 2016
    Well not quite true, yes blu-ray have a high definition than DVD and are therefore a better quality but the same cannot be said of CD's and vinyl, you're comparing digital to analog recordings.

So? The signal has to be converted from and to sound at the ends of the process whatever medium is used so you can make an apples to apples comparison :p
    Post edited by guesser on
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »

So? The signal has to be converted from and to sound at the ends of the process whatever medium is used so you can make an apples to apples comparison :p
    I could provide links to at least 100 articles which argue for both so it's quite clear analog is not inferior to digital. Each have their pros and cons.

As for DVD's I prefer them to BluRay. I notice I'm not alone in this, Walmart keeps lowering their BluRay prices and they still have great bargain bins full of them. All this techno upgrade crap is a scam in my opinion and I still use and like audio cassettes probably the most practical miniaturization of them all.
    I always used to buy cheap DVDs until I upgraded my telly. Once you get to a 50 inch screen or above, the lower quality of DVD becomes all too apparent. Lower resolution, greater motion blur, blocking/artefacting, all there and highly noticeable. So now I rarely buy either since Blu Ray prices are still too high for the most part.
    As for DVD's I prefer them to BluRay. I notice I'm not alone in this, Walmart keeps lowering their BluRay prices and they still have great bargain bins full of them. All this techno upgrade crap is a scam in my opinion and I still use and like audio cassettes probably the most practical miniaturization of them all.
    I always used to buy cheap DVDs until I upgraded my telly. Once you get to a 50 inch screen or above, the lower quality of DVD becomes all too apparent. Lower resolution, greater motion blur, blocking/artefacting, all there and highly noticeable. So now I rarely buy either since Blu Ray prices are still too high for the most part.
    Yep, once you start viewing blu-rays the difference in quality is qute alarming, I'd certainly never go back to buying a DVD unless there was no alternative.
  • Well the reason I prefer DVD's to BluRay is very simple. I can watch my DVD's on my X-Box but it won't play BluRay and I can't afford to buy a BluRay player since watching stuff is a pretty low priority and doesnt justify my buying a DVD or a BluRay player just for that function. I can live without TV/video quite happily and only bought the damn TV and XBox to keep the wife happy.

Out here in the sticks of VA theres no TV signal anyway.

I've never seen a BluRay anything so I don't know what I'm missing and am therefore quite happy with the much cheaper DVD's.