The 5 games you thought you should like or should be better at playing

edited February 2004 in Games
The games i think i should really get into or should be better at but cant cos im crap at em / just dont like em are :-

1) All flight sims (really really wanna get into em, but cant, cos im crap)
2) Spy hunter
3) Elite (i know its the dogs bollocks (alledgedly) but i just cant get into it properly)
4) All those dodgy driving games such as hard driving, chase hq etc
5)hmmm i thought there was loads for me but im stuck, ill add one later when i think of another one :)
Post edited by mel the bell on
Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling

Comments

• edited January 2004
    There are whole categories of games that I've virtually ignored over the years. Sports games for a start. Really cute, kiddyish platform games for another! Most driving games. Strategy games that don't involve some sort of conflict. I can't be bothered with anything that involves stealth rather than combat, either. Blast them all, that's what I say!
  • edited January 2004
    oh.. must be strategy games then, I think they are so slow and nothing happens but they might be fun if you have time for it..
  • edited January 2004
    Ahhh add that as my number 5 :) Strategy games ...cos i try and try to play em but i find em boring and im crap at em :p i keep trying to play cossacks and stronghold BUT im just CRAP
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • edited January 2004
    As long as the combat is a stronger gameplay element than trading, diplomacy etc., I enjoy playing strategy games.

Actually, I've never been able to get into Elite either. This is strange, because I've bought the game twice (Amstrad and Amiga versions)! It was the docking at the space station that was the problem. It probably is a great game.......
  • edited January 2004
    Oh yeah id like to add 3d / isometric games to my list too.
    Cos tho all i tried i couldnt get into games like knightlore, batman, head over heels as much as i wanted to, apart from the odd quick try here and there.....especially with that damn 2 buttons to rotate and 1 to move forward AARGHHHHH!!

On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
    You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

[ This Message was edited by: mel the bell on 2004-01-19 00:02 ]
  • edited January 2004
    All the Ultimate titles, and other 3D-iso games like Batman, HOH, etc. I know they're all raved about here, but I just can't get myself hooked on them. I wish I could.

Also Elite, as mentioned.
  • edited January 2004
    How about Driller? I always hated that game, ok it was something of a breakthrough graphically but the gameplay was awful. I don't know how many times I had to switch the thing off because I was upside down and couldn't work out where I was. Another one in a similar vein was The Sentinel. How boring was that? Both got 97% in Crash too... That said, I loved Elite. Hypocrite warning!
  • edited January 2004
    I of the mask , zoids , driller , critical mass , lords of chaos, all of these looked great and i bought them eagerly only to play them once or twice , maybe i should go back and give em another go ?
  • GOCGOC
    edited January 2004
    ALL text adventures. I'm so sick of the old 'guess the verb routine' that I've never explored any Speccy adventure to its depths, although I'm sure that there are a few really well-written adventures out there... :(

Having greatly enjoyed the film (well, the first 2/3 of it, anyway), I would have given LOTR a go, but it would be futile because there never was a Part 3 written for the Speccy. F****** lazy bastards. :( :( :(
  • edited January 2004
    Definitely flight sims for me. There's nothing worse than having to read through 40 pages of instructions just to learn how to take off.
    Oh, and I'm another Elite person too - never could get into to either the Speccy or the PC version.
  • edited January 2004
    Good point about graphics, David. I wonder just how many games have been given an excellent review score purely because of the way they look? It still happens nowadays.

Underwurlde is pathetic! It's utterly unenjoyable to play, yet it was a Crash Smash. Same with Tir Na Nog and Dun Darach. I could never get any enjoyment out of those two games, yet I kept going back to them because I thought I must have been doing something wrong gameplay-wise. I don't think so now! They're just rubbish.
  • edited January 2004
    I quite like underwurlde, even tho i cant play it :p
  • edited January 2004
    For me it's Academy and Micronaut One. I'm a great admirer of Pete Cooke's work, but these games put me off everytime I tried. No matter how well presented and programmed they are, after one go I always got bored. Academy is also quite hard.
  • edited January 2004
    Tau Ceti
    Elite
    The Hobbit
    Head over Heels

Wanted to get into these games but just couldn't :(
  • edited January 2004
    I thought I would be better at the following:

Elite - 18 Years ago I could'nt play and now I cant play it. Just far too many keys.

Tir Na Nog - What the feck are you supposed to do?

Nether Earth - ?????

Wizball - I used to be excellent at this game. Now i'm shite!!!

The majority of speccy games I play these days i'm crap at. Must be my joints :)
    Get back in the sea ya pi55 guzzling spazmatron!!!
  • edited January 2004
    My bro bought Gryzor,.. I found this game deceiving becoz the nosound and the separate loaders.. Of course my opinion changed when I saw it in a 128k machine. =)

Also found terrible deceiving Desperado (GunSmoke out spain) id was really boring and slooooooooww.. Its one of the games that started to make me think that spanish software is very unprofessional, althoght screenshots seems good.
  • edited January 2004
    Tau ceti lol

funnily enuff thats wot ive been trying last night and today and......i can press start and thats about mi lot :p how the fuck do you start doing owt? lol

well so far it looks like elite may be winning the "game you really wanna love but cant do a smegging thing with it" competition
  • edited January 2004
    For me that would be:

1) Sabrewulf
    2) Elite
    3) Stormbringer and it's ilk
    4) Tir Na Nog
    5) Sweevo's world
  • edited January 2004
    Just one...

Frankie Goes to Hollywood. I have played through time and again; doing the surreal subgames time and again and getting my pleasure points right up to BANG!

However; the murder mystery. Am I being an imbecile? I can never seem to find ALL of the clues that allows me to select the murdered. I have already deduced WHO the murderer is; but, even after 15 years I STILL cannot solve this effing murder...

Any advice, fellow Spec-heads?
  • edited January 2004
    I dont think you could actually finish FGTH. I did 99% of the game but it wouldnt end (same as Megabucks).

Despite being a massive fan of Chaos and Rebelstar 1/2 (I still play them now) I could never get into Lords of Chaos or Laser Squad.
  • edited January 2004
    I can't believe all the "Elite" bashing thats going on!!
    One of the greatest games i have ever played and soooo easy to get into!

Simple graphics, simple story line, simple game play = hours and hours, nay, even days and days wasted floating around space trying to get more money or more kills just to see your rating increase by one more placing - now if thats not FUN on a spectrum i dont know what is! Wow! This is my first post! :)

[ This Message was edited by: highlandstew on 2004-01-29 09:56 ]
  • edited January 2004
    I missed the Elite thing completely until about 4 years ago. I was working in an internet centre place and my mate there made me play it on a speccy emulator. It was actually pretty decent. Have you tried Freelancer on the pc?
  • edited January 2004
    I've tried loads of games like Elite but none which capture the "atmosphere" of the Spectrum version hehe maybe thats me being a little bit biased!

From the first flight out of the Space Station and being obliterated immediately to learning little bits here and there i'm surprised theres gamers out there who can't get into it.

Other games mentioned i can understand like the 3d style HOH and Batman etc. but Elite?
  • edited January 2004
    If you like Elite check out http://www.egosoft.com/ for the PC

Theres a range of games called 'X' . I love Elite but never been able to find a game similar on the PC. To me this game is totally it and i cant believe how amazing the graphics are for the PC. The 3rd one is coming out soon and thats gonna be one of the few PC games i'll get.
  • edited January 2004
    On 2004-01-29 09:55, highlandstew wrote:
    I can't believe all the "Elite" bashing thats going on!!

I can appreciate it is a milestone in computer games but I didn't enjoy it. Similarly I can understand why bands like REM, U2 and Coldplay are loved by millions but I switch the radio off if they come on. Even though I like stuff that is pretty much in the same cultural bracket.
  • edited January 2004
    too right mikkal, its not that were bashing it....just as the thread says wed love to like it too and prolly do but just cant play it, get into it :(
  • edited January 2004
    Now that I have a fully working +2....oh sorry did I not tell you....I HAVE A FULLY WORKING SPECTRUM PLUS 2!!!!!! :) only cost me a 10er!!!!! its ever so nice..

Anywho...I might give ELITE another go. I've got a bin liner up in the attic at my Ma and Pa's house and its in there somewhere.

I remember being very good at Firelord. Just played it, any guess what?....yes thats right...I'm shit at shit. Think I'd rather shout "Bum Sex, Fanny Whacker" at an old lady!!!

[ This Message was edited by: stupidget on 2004-01-29 21:14 ]
    Get back in the sea ya pi55 guzzling spazmatron!!!
  • edited February 2004
    Firelord and Uridium, bought the double pack and then played them very little.
    I could not be bothered with Where time stood still either.
    Revolution from Vortex springs to mind, and Arc of Yesod, as I had spent enough time on the nearly identical Nodes.
  • edited February 2004
    I used to love firelord, and uridium :)
  • edited February 2004
    On 2004-01-29 20:50, Mikal wrote:

Similarly I can understand why bands like REM, U2 and Coldplay are loved by millions but I switch the radio off if they come on.

so you understand why Coldplay are loved by millions?! Well, please, explain it then because I don't :D