Which Ultimate Play the Game game's do you like (tick the ones you like)

edited December 2011 in Games
After discussing Sabre Wulf in another thread, I thought it would be interesting to see which games of theirs we liked and disliked in proportion to all their othes games, so here's a poll for you to vote for ALL of their games that you liked. This isn't a poll to see which game of theirs you liked the most, but which ones you liked, so please vote for all of the games of theirs you like.

Me, I'm voting Jetpac, Lunar Jetman, Atic Atac, and Underwurlde, as I think that they are all very good games.

I'm not voting for the rest as I think that Pssst, Tranz Am, and Cookie were good for their time, but in my opinion I had better games to spend my time on. I always felt that Sabre Wulf, Knight Lore, and Alien 8 were cases of ok-but-nothing-special games with great graphics, and I didn't like any Ultimate game after Alien 8. Nightshade was especially dissapointing, although the last two (Martianoids and Bubbler) managed to underwhelm me even further.

Which Ultimate games (on the Spectrum) did you like? And if you post a comment in this thread, then please say which Ultimate game is your favourite. Mine is probably Underwurlde, although Atic Atac comes very close.
Post edited by ewgf on

Comments

• edited November 2011
    'games' is plural, ewgf.
  • edited November 2011
    I never got on with lunar jetman. Knight lore I agree was great for its time but bored the hell out of me. Sabre wulf and atic atac, and jetpac, three of the best games on the speccy period. And underwurlde was great but too bloody hard lol.
  • edited November 2011
    As games I like Jetpac and Atic Atac. Sabrewulf is pretty good too. Alien 8 and Knight Lore are still very impressive IMO, but the gameplay could be better.

I prefer Jetpac on the VIC 20 actually, better sound.

So far I have loaded Staff of Karnath onto my C64 once, I'm not likely to again in a hurry, it looked rubbish.

Atic Atac is my favourite I would say.
  • edited November 2011
    All of them except Cyberun, which I thought was rather shallow and bland, and Martianoids - the perfect example of how not to end a spectacular career.

As for the favorite... mmm, Atic Atac maybe but that's a very hard choice, considering how long I have been playing Ultimate games. Heck, last night I even had some goes at Cookie after not having touched it for years!
  • I don't like any of them. Never thought much of Rare either.
    I guess there's a special ingredient in their games that just doesn't agree with me!
  • Jetpac, Pssst, Trans Am, Cookie and Atic Atac remind me of my early speccy-playing days and are all good, solid games and, I think, still stand up pretty well today. Those are the only ones of these that I've played extensively.

I've barely played Knight Lore, Underwurlde, Sabre Wulf etc so can't really comment.

Atic Atac is my favourite (Jet Pac being 2nd probably).
  • edited November 2011
    Lunar Jetman was way too hard for me. I'd fly up in the air and just get hit all the time.
  • edited November 2011
    shoot'n'fly, Mark :)
  • edited November 2011
    I've not played any of them!

Does Solar Jetman on the C64 count since they weren't Ultimate anymore?
  • edited November 2011
    I've not played any of them!

Does Solar Jetman on the C64 count since they weren't Ultimate anymore?

no!

My favourites have to be Knight Lore & Underwurlde. There was something magical about seeing them for the 1st time a few days after being released.
  • edited November 2011
    I like the early era and quite a lot of them upto and including Alien 8 (despite its slowdown) but after that it gets a little ropey,i did not vote for :-
    Lunar Jetman
    Underwurlde
    Nightshade
    Cyberun
    Pentagram
    Martionoids
    Bubbler
  • edited November 2011
    Atic Atac, Underwurlde and Sabre Wulf are my favourites :)
  • edited November 2011
    jetpac the rest i hate
  • edited November 2011
    jetpac: the smoothness, the playability, the laser effect, although there's not much to do: the gameplay is too repetitive.

pssst!: gameplay is much better in this one, with different approaches and and combinations of baddies in each level, and more things to do, and a lovely jingle when the flower blooms.

tranz am: okaysh, but not enough.

cookie: always appreciated it, but more because of how it looks and out of nostalgia, it's a bit too hard, and, again, the gameplay is rather dull, although frantic.

lunar jetman: too bloody hard.

atic atac: supersmooth and high playability. not one of my favourites, though.

sabre wulf
    = this is tough. but i don't dislike it.

underwurlde: same as above, only tougher. your character is out of control most of the time, because of all the bouncings. i like the bubbles.

knight lore: masterpiece. i enjoyed very much mapping it, when i was a kid, and i enjoyed very much playing it again, a couple of months ago.

alien 8: hate it. an unplayable knight lore.

cyberrun: can't say for sure. had a go once or twice, and didn't understand much.

nightshade: good atmosphere, and nothing else.

gunfright: a nicer, funnier western nightshade.

martianoids: tried it a couple of times. crap.

pentagram: a mediocre knight lore with shootings and monsters falling from above (and you can't understand exactly where they're falling).

bubbler: not completely sure about this one. the few attempts i had weren't much encouraging, anyway.
  • edited November 2011
    without a doubt atic atac was always my favourite
  • edited November 2011
    pssst!
    cookie
    sabre wulf

the first 2 for being simple but fun addictive little games packed with charm, and sabre wulf for being one of the 10 best games on the speccy, period.

never got on with lunar jetman, underwurlde, knight lore or atic attac despite reading so much praise for all 3...fair enough

don't think I've played a bunch of the later releases
  • edited November 2011
    I liked Tranz Am in a sub-par kind of Rally X kind of way when I was little so I gave that a vote.

The rest is a bunch of dogsh*t unfortunately. Ultimate are up there with Players when it comes to making stuff that looks nice and has little or no gameplay.
  • edited November 2011
    Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    The rest is a bunch of dogsh*t unfortunately. Ultimate are up there with Players when it comes to making stuff that looks nice and has little or no gameplay.

Absolutely ridiculous statement !
  • Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    I liked Tranz Am in a sub-par kind of Rally X kind of way when I was little so I gave that a vote.

Couldn't agree more. Most overated developer ever.
  • zx1zx1
    edited November 2011
    I've only played a few - Cookie, Jetpack, Knight Lore and Gunfright. I think i played Tranz Am a few times but found it crap.
    They were ahead of their time initially but after Knight Lore things started to go downhill. I think they were eventually sold to US Gold.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited November 2011
    Absolutely ridiculous statement !
    Agreed, they were so far ahead of everyone else they were holding back releases to let the rest catch up.

The quality only deteriorated when they allowed other programmers to write the games.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited November 2011
    Couldn't agree more. Most overated developer ever.
    Rubbish. Most of their games were the pinnacle of speccy gaming, and without them we wouldn't have seen many other classics.
    If it wasn't for Knight Lore (boring as it is, it's still a milestone in gaming) would Bobby Bearing or Batman have been made? Games like Sabre Wulf and Atic Atac provided a template for future classics like Firelord and Wizards Lair.
    True the quality deteriorated with their last few games (Gunfright being the exception) but for a few years they produced consistently high quality games. Even when took a gamble and upped the price to ?9.95, people STILL bought the games because they knew they were buying quality. If the games were crap it would have backfired spectacularly, surely.
    Ultimate are the Beatles of Speccy gaming. Even if you don't like them, you have to appreciate how important they are.
  • edited November 2011
    I've never understood the general disdain for Alien 8. I found it much more playable than Knight Lore and spent much more time with it. Underwurlde was just irritating, it felt like you were out of control half of the time. Sabre Wulf is a game I still go back to, even though I can see that it's a fairly simplistic maze game. JetPac is a great, but simple game. Gunfright I played a lot when I was a kid and still play it occasionally. Nightshade is dull. Pentagram is dull. Lunar Jetman far too hard, though I did try to get into it once and it does get easier with a bit of practice (I probably never persisted because I didn't pay for it) I spent quite a lot of time trying to like Cyberun, and still play it occasionally today, but the onscreen playing area is too small and the enemies a bit too abundant for my taste. I used to love Cookie and Psst when they were the only games my 16K owning friend had. And Tranz Am is a bit rubbish. Martianoids looks unforgiveably bad. Bubbler seems ok but I can't be bothered to get into it. And Atic Atac I can take or leave, I'd rather play Sabre Wulf even though the game play is more simplistic.
  • edited November 2011
    My two penn'orth;

Jetpac - Great little arcade game but I was initially disappointed the platforms didn't change between levels.

Pssst - They got the arcade gameplay perfect

Cookie - Great idea for a simple arcader but the difficulty level just puts me off a bit

Trans Am - a bit boring, not up to the standard of previous three

Lunar Jetman - too hard, never got into it at all

Atic Atac - just wonderful. The sound is exceptional

Sabre Wulf - Designed beautifully with the original concept of the swordplay. Love the atmosphere you are almost in a real jungle

Underwurlde - I like it but its a bit hard and frustrating

Knight Lore - The Best Game On Planet Earth

Alien 8 - Spent loads of time playing it but the slowdown is too much on too many screens. KL got the balance better. Those graphics are utterly beautiful though

Nightshade - An underestimated game. Yep its simple but so are other classic games. Coded wonderfully

Gunfright - Don't like as much as nightshade but fine game

Cyberun - A great, great game totally understated. Probably because its utterly unplayable without an infinite energy poke

Pentagram - Now as a massive fan of filmation I have a big soft spot for this one. Played it to death. Love the atmosphere

Martianoids - Can't really be bothered with it but not as bad as it is made out to be

Bubbler - Unplayable due to insane control system.

Favourite - Knight Lore without a shadow of a doubt. For me, the most playable game written for the spectrum. I reckon its because it was playtested to death whilst they waited to release it.
  • Rubbish. Most of their games were the pinnacle of speccy gaming, and without them we wouldn't have seen many other classics.
    If it wasn't for Knight Lore (boring as it is, it's still a milestone in gaming) would Bobby Bearing or Batman have been made?

Exactly, Knight Lore is boring. Technically, way ahead of It's time, but gameplay wise very very dull. And it's the same for all their games.
  • edited November 2011
    jetpac: One of the few 16K games I bought, and it sealed Ultimate's reputation as writers of products with serious quality. Still an excellent game, if a bit simple.

Psst: Never bought this, but found it a great game. One of the few genuine classics for the 16K machine

Cookie: like Psst this was such a cute game, gameplay a bit harder.

Tranz Am: Liked it but not as much as the earlier three.

Lunar Jetman: Difficult but brilliant in its way. I spent hours playing it. I still remember buying this with huge anticipation after the success of jetpac.

Atic Atac: Classic. 'nuff said.

Sabre Wulf: I haven't played this in nigh on 25 years, I remember it blowing my socks off with the graphics though

Underwurlde: Similar to Sabre Wulf.

Knight Lore: OMG what else can you say except possibly the best Speccy game ever and one of the finest computer games of all times.

I'm sure I played Alien 8 but really after KL I didn't buy any...I was not prepared to spend the extra money to be honest. Plus Ultimate's reputation did take a dip.

But all in all, Ultimate were a hugely important company. Maybe you had to be there at the time to appreciate it, but you knew something would be a little special with an Ultimate release. They really were apart from the competition.
  • fogfog
    edited November 2011
    the issue with jetman , was it more a case of not knowing how to play it or not liking it ?

e.g. putting the road down / using the rover / putting the teleport on top of the rover etc :)

initially I just used to fly around shooting things, but once you know how to play it , it becomes decent to play.

that and manic miner were the first 2 games I ever owned, mum bought em for me.. the 10 year old version didn't get how to play jet man initially, but after.. well it became one of my favs :)
  • edited November 2011
    I voted for all except for pssst, tranz am, cookie, bubbler and martianoids.

One of the best companies ever, maybe the best in my opinion. Sabre Wulf and Knight Lore are my two
    fave games
  • edited November 2011
    torot wrote: »
    Sabre Wulf - Designed beautifully with the original concept of the swordplay. Love the atmosphere you are almost in a real jungle

ewgf's new sig