How to join PC to ZX Spectrum via IF1?

Hello All,

I've failed miserably :-? at getting even a hint that the Spectrum and PC I have connected together are indeed connected. I followed the instructions from Chapter 8 in the Interface 1 manual and I?ve used Putty on the PC to try and get a ?hello world? win, but alas? I?ve read countless threads, installed vast amounts of software, some so old I?m shocked they even ran on the Win 7 PC and I?m still no further!

So here I am yet again on WoS asking for some help :oops:

I have:
I would like to do two things:
  • Use the PC to send code (machine code) to run it on the Spectrum and send results back to the PC
  • Use the PC to send game snapshots to the Spectrum to store on the Microdrive so I can ditch the tape player.

Any help would be really appreciated please!

TIA!
Post edited by Korinel on

Comments

• edited March 2012
    What do you have between the usb-serial adapter and the interface 1? I'd have thought you'd require a null modem cable or similar.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited March 2012
    guesser wrote: »
    What do you have between the usb-serial adapter and the interface 1? I'd have thought you'd require a null modem cable or similar.

It's actually a cable rather than an adapter, the USB side goes into Win 7 PC and the serial bit into IF1.

I use it because I don?t have a PC with serial or parallel ports.
  • edited March 2012
    Korinel wrote: »
    It's actually a cable rather than an adapter, the USB side goes into Win 7 PC and the serial bit into IF1.

I use it because I don?t have a PC with serial or parallel ports.

Yes I understand, but if it is like a computer connection and the IF1 is like a computer connection you can't just connect them together, you have to cross the signals over with a null modem cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_modem
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited March 2012
    Actually, scrub that.

I just looked at the schematic and the IF1 uses a totally non standard pinout anyway. You'll definitely need a special adapter cable.
  • edited March 2012
    So you actually searched the old topics. This is a first. :-) A lot of people don't even try.
    I could swear someone here did what you're trying to do. Guesser, didn't you post a simple drawing once for the same thing but on a +2?
    A few months ago someone was experimenting with serial data transfers and trying to achieve faster speeds. My memory isn't what it used to be. :-(
  • edited March 2012
    Spectrum 9D plug pin to PC 9D socket pin:
    2 to 3
    3 to 2
    4 to 7
    5 to 8
    7 to 5

I once made up a cable with the above pinout which worked fine (http://szeligaski.blogspot.com/2006/03/zx-spectrum-pc-communication.html) and sent games to the 48K Spectrum with PC-ZX (http://szeligaski.blogspot.com/2006/03/pczx-link.html)
  • edited March 2012
    zxbruno wrote: »
    I could swear someone here did what you're trying to do. Guesser, didn't you post a simple drawing once for the same thing but on a +2?

Dunno if I've posted one, I've made a couple of adapters for the +3 in the past, but this is a different connector, let alone pinout.
  • fogfog
    edited March 2012
    zxbruno wrote: »
    So you actually searched the old topics. This is a first. :-) A lot of people don't even try.
    A few months ago someone was experimenting with serial data transfers and trying to achieve faster speeds. My memory isn't what it used to be. :-(

your thinking of "ASM" right ? he was sending data to a later machine.. BUT the cable he was using was of errm retroshack.. it was 9pin to the BT type connector..

Korinel, have a look at fruitcakes site, there might be something relating to sending data to an interface 1 , or was it via the bt connector again..

failing that you can always load from the pc to the speccy, there is a set of programs that john elliot wrote, but I guess thats for the +3 etc.
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks Gents!

Ahhh the penny drops!

Soooo I need "another" cable where this one connects the IF1 to the end of my new USB Serial cable?

Or perhaps some adapter or dongle given my cable is already 1.5 Ms long, I suppose I’ll have to build one of these myself?
    Korinel, have a look at fruitcakes site

I had looked at this site and there appears to be plenty of things related to what I'm doing and I do have a Ram Turbo Interface 2 clone but I'm not sure what else I need, I assume at least a ZXC3.

If the IF1+Microdrive route doesn't work I'll investigate the IF2+PCB route...
  • edited March 2012
    Korinel, drop Paul an email on that site, he shipped me the very cable you need (I use it to program my ZXC3)
  • edited March 2012
    Paul Farrow is a master of RS232 and he will also help you with any questions or projects you might have. For the IF1 you don't need to add another cable. You just need one, wired right (I think). :-)

@fog: yes. :-)
  • edited March 2012
    Get a Spectranet, :p :D
    So far, so meh :)
  • edited March 2012
    Thanks guys, I dropped Paul an email!