Tech Demo of my Latest Game (FADV)

edited April 2014 in Development
Posted in development as technically not a new release just a tech demo of a new game I'm working on.

Ok here a tech demo of my latest full game, imaginatively titled "Flynn's Adventure" a follow-up/sequel to last years Flynn's Adventure in Bombland. I have now built the majority of the core game engine so thought it would be a great time to get you all to test it out so I can iron out the bugs, improve playability etc... before diving into to finishing the story, maps, graphics, sound etc... similar to what I did with my last full release which helped me loads. Thanks again..

The game is similar to a couple of my favourite titles of all time (won't take you long to guess) and the basic premise is to wander about the full colour map taking to people, slaying monsters, collecting useful stuff and solving puzzles in order to rescue your once again captured buddies.

Keys are QAOP(bnmSpace) or Sinclair (67890). In addition to this there are 6 menu keys. 1-attack mode, 2-use mode, 3-tape menu (doesn't do anything yet), 4-look mode, 5-inventory mode. 1 and 2 will hopefully be self explanatory. 3 will enable you to save your position in game eventually. 4 activates a look mode which doesn't do an awful lot at the moment other than help you id stuff (will do more later in the game). 5 shows the players inventory where you can equip items or drink potions etc...

Couple of hints/tips. You need to equip items before they are activated i.e. swords, torches etc... To use keys on locks you need to drag them from the inventory onto the thing you need unlocking. To use swords etc... you need to be in attack mode. To manipulate objects on screen you need to be in use mode.

Big thanks go to R-Tape who kindly alpha tested this for me.

Any question or feedback please just post here, hope you enjoy

You can download the tap file here

TomD

Couple of screen grabs

fadv_s1.giffadv_s2.gif
Post edited by TomD on

Comments

• edited April 2012
    it's zelda on a speccy!

:-D

very impressed
  • edited April 2012
    that looks good man
  • edited April 2012
    cool!!

love it. =D
  • LCDLCD
    edited April 2012
    Excellent! So flynn survived all the bombs, or is it a prequel?
    I like the preview and check it further after I'm back at home.
  • edited April 2012
    Hah, i'll be watching this with interest. I'm recycling all my ZXelda graphics I did for use in my 'Berzerk : Escape from Zilog' game idea.
  • edited April 2012
    Fantastic stuff! :-)

I got used to the control system quickly, it's nice & intuitive. Looking forward to its release.
  • edited April 2012
    Great! And it's not April's Fool :)

I like it very much, especially the fact that somebody dared at last to do a RPG game for Spectrum.

I haven't found any bugs. I like the graphics. I like the playability.The sounds are worse - the walking sound is getting painful after a few seconds ;)

Please, please finish this game, it would be great.
  • edited April 2012
    By the way, will you have enough memory for your game?

I guess it could be a problem. If you have maps made of tiles and 1 tile=1 byte then it will consume memory very quickly. Make a maze 100x100 tiles (not so big really) and 10 kilobytes are already begone.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. In answer to some of the questions.
    • Yes Flynn survived the bombs :-) its just his friends that aren't so clever? or yes this is a sequel.
    • Sound/Music definately isn't my strong point. Anybody care to help me out?
    • I use a custom built compression routine to save memory so there is actually quite a bit left for other maps and graphics etc... As an example the main island map is 112 by 80 chars and it only takes up 1172 bytes. Currently have over 10kb left to play with and I've not even looked at multi-load or 128k mem-swap yet.

TomD
  • edited April 2012
    Great!!!!
  • edited April 2012
    As for 48K sound effects, this tool that went somewhat unnoticed could help you.
  • edited April 2012
    Love it.

Found fighting the plants a bit difficult. Their random movement and the way the sword only does damage on one tiny spot meant I got hit a lot. The way the old Zelda games used to have the sword cause damage in an arc region, and give the player temporary invulnerability after taking damage, helped a lot.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited April 2012
    Im not a Zelda fan, but have to say that I was very impressed with your demo there TomD... you must have spent ages coding that!!.. I particularly love the way that you have background and foreground graphics in there, and the way that the player can enter buildings.. These are things taken for granted on console games of that style, but rarely seen on a speccy... Very nice game engine there, and actually a lot of fun... This game will go far, if you manage to finish it!!!...

As for sound, Shiru is just being modest there - BeepFX is brillient for 48k beeper sounds, and certainly didn't go unnoticed... (its also being actively used in another project that I can think of right now)... It would be ideal for this sort of game, since your not expecting continuous sound play during action sequences (ie: most of your needs are well taken care of by static set piece sound effects)... The AY version of this, also found on Shiru's site, is AYEdit... Since Shiru isn't going to blow his own trumpet there, I will also recommend you look at his other tools on that website too, particularly his XM to Beeper tools (Tritune,Huby,QChan & Octode & also Stocker)(http://shiru.untergrund.net/software.shtml) as they are all very useful for porting music across to the humble Speccy beeper.. You could, for instance, find yourself some Zelda midi files online, convert them into XM files using something like OpenModPlug, then save those XM files out with something more compatible like Madtracker to pump them through his Xm 2 beeper tools for some quick and dirty musical conversions... You could also load them into OpenModPlug, use my tool (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33485444/ModPlug2VT.zip) to spit out Vortex text modules, then either use that to create AY music via .PT3 with Vortex, or feed them into Shiru's Stocker tool (above) or try feeding them into CCowley's Beepola (http://freestuff.grok.co.uk/beepola/) tool for beeper music...

Basically, your spoilt for choice these days for sound and music tools now...
  • edited April 2012
    I like it so much. Very elegant.
  • edited April 2012
    I meant to reply to this yesterday.

Anyway I'm impressed by this, I'll be watching this thread from now on :)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited April 2012
    This looks brilliant, exactly the sort of game that would keep me hooked for a good long while. A varied game world with lots to explore, that doesn't need the kind of split-second-timing arcade game skills I'm useless at. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
  • edited April 2012
    Just want to say I love this style of sprites too. The black outline drawings in the Zelda / Dragon Quest style make for some charming cartoon-like characters at such a small size. A shame that even with multicolour techniques you couldn't colour them in though.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited April 2012
    Awesome - really impressed with this.
  • edited April 2012
    I havent been able to try the beta so far, but the screenshot are amazing, I love the style of graphics and color.

As for the music, maybe of you open a new thread asking for help, there will be a few people willing to help ;) but it can be unnoticed here in the middle of this thread.

Congrats, and by the way, have you ever thought about releasing your games (Flynns in Bombland so far) in actual cassette? The game has the quality, thats for sure.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2012
    There is always room in my collection for Zelda type games and this is flippin awesome.

Well done that man. I cant wait for the full game.
  • edited April 2012
    I would like to see a larger viewport though. That does look small; surely speed isn't all that critical?
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited April 2012
    Looks really good.
  • JmkJmk
    edited April 2012
    Very nice! Stick with your vision, there's no need to overcomplicate the engine.
  • edited April 2012
    Amazing work!

I really appreciate such attention to details, such as the torch light effect and the transition when going in & out of buildings.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited April 2012
    Great work Tom!
    joefish wrote: »
    I would like to see a larger viewport though. That does look small; surely speed isn't all that critical?

You got me thinking about this when your 'scimpy screens' thread arose. 16x16 works for me, that's about the least I'd say it can be though.
  • edited April 2012
    joefish wrote: »

I'm happy with the current size, although I agree it would look better if it was possible to make it larger without causing performance issues.

For comparison, here's the current screen size:

2mpidlw.png

And here's how this game would look like, with a larger playing area (except I forgot to keep the hero at the center...):

5fmefo.png

It's possible to make this change while preserving current attribute boundaries (even for the hidden icons in the lower right corner). I uploaded the modified screen here just in case it will be useful.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited April 2012
    Thanks again for all the replies and feedback. A few replies:
    • Thanks for the sound/music links. Will take a look and see how I get on. Will post for help if I get nowhere :-)
    • On the sword fighting, very likely going to add a short short burst of invinsibility if you get hit, actually started to code it but didn't get round to finishing for this demo. On the sword sweep I actually have the graphics drawn but I got so used to fighting the way it is at the moment after a bit I decided to leave it out and save some memory. Can't make my mind up at the mo especially as I also preffered using the bow and arrow.
    • I played with many screen sizes while building the game engine and lumped with 16x16 as the optimal trade off between speed, viewable area and as always when coding on a Speccy memory. Massive change to shift to anything else including rewritting the on the fly decompression. So unfortunately 16x16 will be staying, hopefully it won't detract too much from the rest of the game
    • Would love to release both these games as real tapes, although where do you get blank 10min tapes from nowadays :-) Will give this a lot more thought before I release the full version.

TomD
  • edited April 2012
    SUPERB !
  • edited April 2012
    TomD wrote: »
    Posted in development as technically not a new release just a tech demo of a new game I'm working on.
    Ok here a tech demo of my latest full game, imaginatively titled "Flynn's Adventure" [/IMG]

Hm, actually it looks incredibly fine! Really impressive. Especially as for 48K (I hope it stays this way). Last times I saw such a good game only for 128K. Keep up the good work!!
    ZX Spectrum 48K BEEPER Music:
    http://mister_beep.republika.pl/
  • edited April 2012
    Looking very promising!!