ESXDOS v0.8.0 released (with NMI Browser)

edited November 2012 in Announcements
Hello,

To celebrate the speccy's 30th birthday, here's the latest version of ESXDOS for DivIDE users. The full changelog is too long to post here, so I'll just paste section 1 from the readme:

ESXDOS aims to be the ultimate firmware for the DivIDE interface. Here's a list of current features:

* Supports HDD/CDROM/ZIP/LS120 devices
* Device and filesystem abstraction layer
* Full FAT16/FAT32 read/write support (no 64K clusters, no extended partitions, no LFN).
* Provides extended BASIC commands
* BASIC files integration using +3DOS headers for FAT filesystems
* Support for seamless IM2 loading/saving, from BASIC and machine code
* System commands loaded from /BIN dir of system drive
* TAPE emulator supports reading/writing from/to TAP files. TAP attaching functions are available to external programs.
* POSIX-based API usable by .commands, external programs and NMI.SYS. Functions available on rst $08:
open, read, write, close, opendir, readdir, seek, sync, fstat, getcwd, chdir, unlink...
* Possibility of getting absolute LBA sector and device on an opened file (for direct I/O)
* Kernel loads modules (.KO files) on demand
* NMI.SYS support (NMI system is independent, ESXDOS kernel just provides services)

On the pipeline:

1. Virtual drives
2. TR-DOS emulator
3. LFN support

NOTE: Due to divIDE+ incompatibility with original divIDE on the $0008 entry point, ESXDOS cannot currently run properly on divIDE+ systems (only the NMI browser works).

Get it at http://www.esxdos.org/files/esxdos080.zip

phoenix
Post edited by phoenix^ra on

Comments

• edited April 2012
    phoenix^ra wrote: »
    Hello,

To celebrate the speccy's 30th birthday, here's the latest version of ESXDOS for DivIDE users. The full changelog is too long to post here, so I'll just paste section 1 from the readme:

ESXDOS aims to be the ultimate firmware for the DivIDE interface. Here's a list of current features:

* Full FAT16/FAT32 read/write support (no 64K clusters, no extended partitions, no LFN).
    * TAPE emulator supports reading/writing from/to TAP files. TAP attaching functions are available to external programs.
    * POSIX-based API usable by .commands, external programs and NMI.SYS. Functions available on rst $08:
    open, read, write, close, opendir, readdir, seek, sync, fstat, getcwd, chdir, unlink...
    * Possibility of getting absolute LBA sector and device on an opened file (for direct I/O)
    * NMI.SYS support (NMI system is independent, ESXDOS kernel just provides services)

On the pipeline:

1. Virtual drives
    2. TR-DOS emulator
    3. LFN support

phoenix

And yet we have first usable system for DIVIDE :-)
    Support of writing to FAT16 and FAT32.
    Filebrowser as in FATWARE + save snapshot support (48 or 128kB SNA files)
  • edited April 2012
    velesoft wrote: »
    And yet we have first usable system for DIVIDE :-)

Yes indeed! I think this announcement may have been a little bit understated, especially up against all the other exciting stuff happening today, so allow me to correct that...

This is the most exciting thing to happen on the DivIDE for YEARS.

A firmware with a friendly file browser on the NMI button just like the one in FATware (well, nearly - I eagerly await the long filename support...), but with write support, FAT32, and true programmer hackability. (So now it just needs people like me to pull their fingers out and build awesome stuff on top of it :-) ) Fantastic work!
  • edited April 2012
    Hello,

On the pipeline:

1. Virtual drives
    2. TR-DOS emulator
    3. LFN support

phoenix

Awesome! Does it work with OpenSE BASIC 3.06?
  • edited April 2012
    well.. you could be the one to check that ;]
  • edited April 2012
    aowen wrote: »
    Awesome! Does it work with OpenSE BASIC 3.06?

I test it in emulator SPIN with this OpenSE rom:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sebasic/files/OpenSE%20BASIC/opense.rom/download

In file browser not work auloload for TAP files. After press enter only open TAP for loading and jump to basic command line. After write LOAD "" loading work. Problem can be in fast reset emulation.... different code in OpenSE rom
  • edited April 2012
    Ohhh - can't wait to try this tonight on the old toastrack.

As GASMAN said THIS WILL BE AWESOME :)
  • edited April 2012
    Very good news, thanks!
    I will test it as fast as possible.

I have a question about using real tape: Is it possible to read/write from/to real tape for example to copy between real tape and tap-file on IDE drive?

Regards Ingo.
  • edited April 2012
    ingo wrote: »
    Very good news, thanks!
    I will test it as fast as possible.

I have a question about using real tape: Is it possible to read/write from/to real tape for example to copy between real tape and tap-file on IDE drive?

Regards Ingo.

Hi Ingo,

Yes, you can selectively redirect either tapein or tapeout from real tape to TAP files.

phoenix
  • edited April 2012
    Video of new ESXDOS:

esxdos080_video1.gif

You can see new filebrowser, automatic loading of TAP files, save and load 128kB snapshots and loading BATTLE COMMAND 128 (this TAP file use basic loader writed in 128 basic and game must be loaded from 128 menu or 128 basic. Esxdos work in USR0 mode but switch to loading from 128 basic is enable after load special snapshot...)
  • edited April 2012
    Can you make the firmeware selector menu for this new version?
  • edited April 2012
    Is there a chance we will see the source code for this or will it be closed source?
  • edited April 2012
    Encarnado wrote: »
    Can you make the firmeware selector menu for this new version?

What's the point of using a different firmware?
  • edited April 2012
    Is there a chance we will see the source code for this or will it be closed source?

Not at this time (but probably in the future, yes).
  • edited April 2012
    goodbye fatware!

When I first read the line "FULL FAT16/32 support", I didn't understand this, like "wait, I guess it was incomplete", then I realized this is *the* big thing!

I'm reading the docs to reflash my divide 57c, though I wonder when somebody make a youtube video of installation, for users of fatware who want to switch to esxdos without bricking the hardware.

I guess we can finally see true divide-ony games now. Divide manifaturers should install this into their new devices, so we can break free of read-only fatware.
  • edited April 2012
    Not at this time (but probably in the future, yes).

Would make fixing it to work with OpenSE BASIC easier, that's for sure.
  • edited April 2012
    Very good file browser!

Sim city can not save to tape. I thought Esxdos can save?

Micky
  • edited April 2012
    -Micky wrote: »
    Very good file browser!

Sim city can not save to tape. I thought Esxdos can save?

Micky

Does Sim city use ROM routine to save? Did you open a .tap file for writing (.tapeout simsaves.tap) before loading Sim city (it can be the same .tap file being used for loading, it will append)?
  • edited April 2012
    I start it with the file browser.

Micky
  • edited April 2012
    aowen wrote: »
    What's the point of using a different firmware?

Maybe testing why something doesn't work with esxdos but does work on fatware?
  • edited April 2012
    I start it with the file browser.

Micky

Micky,

The filebrowser does not yet have the option to open tape for saving (only for loading). Before running any software from which you want to save to tape, please use .tapeout command to redirect ROM tape save routine to a .tap file of your choosing.
  • edited April 2012
    Does Sim city use ROM routine to save? Did you open a .tap file for writing (.tapeout simsaves.tap) before loading Sim city (it can be the same .tap file being used for loading, it will append)?
    Ah, works fine!

Micky
  • edited April 2012
    Source code: Not at this time (but probably in the future, yes).

The reason why I ask is I am writing this now:

* Device abstraction layer

* POSIX-based API

but from the top (fprintf, fscanf, read, write, open, close, dup, etc) down to how the device drivers get associated with the file descriptor table / open file table and specifying messages to support a posix / c api. if i don't have to duplicate effort, it would be good and even better if it is compatible with something that may be usable for all z80 systems if it is to be made available that way.
  • edited April 2012
    Ah, works fine!

Micky
    It is not possible to load a saved town. Then came: Tape error.

Micky
  • edited April 2012
    How modular is the code? Is the FAT stuff separate from the partition stuff, separate from the hard disk i/o stuff.

Just wondering if the FAT stuff could be "borrowed" and wrapped up to work with my spectranet hard disk filesystem api :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited April 2012
    It is not possible to load a saved town. Then came: Tape error.

Micky

hey, in esxdos there are 2 slots for tapes. one is for loading only a second is for saving only. so try it as follows:

1) boot esxdos
    2) in basic cmdline enter: .tapeout simsave.tap
    3) enter nmi browser and load simcity
    4) play game
    5) save current state of game
    6) reset computer (no power-off, just reset)
    7) close saved tape by entering: .tapeout -c
    8) load again simcity by LOAD ""
    9) after simcity is loaded, enter nmi browser
    10) search your simsave.tap and press L (insert tape to load slot without reseting and auto loading it)
    11) in simcity menu find and execute Load game
  • Just tested ESXDOS 0.8.0 in my new divIDE: INCREDIBLY GREAT! Fast, more stable than Fatware, works fine with an 8 GB CF card....

Thanks phoenix^ra!!!
  • edited April 2012
    ingo wrote: »
    Does anyone know the exact syntax?

Micky
  • edited April 2012
    Website and original post have been changed to note the following:

Due to divIDE+ incompatibility with original divIDE on the $0008 entry point, ESXDOS cannot currently run properly on divIDE+ systems (only the NMI browser works).
  • edited April 2012
    Website and original post have been changed to note the following:

Due to divIDE+ incompatibility with original divIDE on the $0008 entry point, ESXDOS cannot currently run properly on divIDE+ systems (only the NMI browser works).

Now will you people believe me that divIDE+ is an inferior device? ;)
  • edited April 2012
    There is a way to make ESXDOS run on "native" Timex 2068 ROMs?

Boot logo appears as bright black.
    Timex, the spectrum with 16 colors.