Highres Disciple pictures

edited June 2012 in Hardware
I couldn't find highres pictures on Google, so I was obliged to make them myself.
This one had some repairs: defective PAL chips replaced by GAL's, some capacitors replaced, bad soldering contacts (all in fact) renewed.

Click on the picture for magnification!

disciple_top_small.JPG

disciple_bottom_small.JPG

disciple_vs_interface_one_small.JPG

disciple_board_perspective_small.JPG

disciple_board_top_small.JPG

disciple_board_bottom_small.JPG

disciple_board_left_small.JPG

disciple_board_right_small.JPG
Post edited by bverstee on

Comments

• edited June 2012
    bverstee wrote: »
    I couldn't find highres pictures on Google, so I was obliged to make them myself.
    This one had some repairs: defective PAL chips replaced by GAL's, some capacitors replaced, bad soldering contacts (all in fact) renewed.
    First post and Greetings from Spain.
    You have used lattice PALtoGAL converter to create the necessary JEDs and do they really work?.

The eeprom is 28c64!.:-o

I only know two types of binaries for this interface with epson or hp codes, both 16384 bytes of length. suitable for 27128...27c128...
    Please clarify the situation,
    thanks in advance.

regards
    Julio.
  • edited June 2012
    Julio wrote: »
    You have used lattice PALtoGAL converter to create the necessary JEDs and do they really work?.

Yes, I used that tool from Lattice, and I had no problem at all to convert the PAL-jedec to GAL-jedec; the GAL worked without any problem.
    The eeprom is 28c64!.:-o
    I only know two types of binaries for this interface with epson or hp codes, both 16384 bytes of length. suitable for 27128...27c128...
    Please clarify the situation?

You're right about the files, but an 8K rom is also supported.
    I contacted Rudy Biesma, the Disciple guru, and he replied:
    De DISCiPLE heeft origineel 8k ROM (en ook 8k RAM). Er kan ook 16k ROM in via poort 31 kun je dan tussen beide 8k banken schakelen, maar het DISCiPLE systeem zelf reset het betreffende bit altijd.
    Dus je kunt 8k of 16k gebruiken.

8)

Translated:
    "The DISCiPLE originally has an 8K ROM (and also 8K RAM).
    A 16K rom is supported, you can switch between the two 8K banks by port 31, but the DISCiPLE system always resets that bit.
    So you can use 8K or 16K"

I have the DISCiPLE rom disassembly in book form (also from Rudy).
    I asked Rudy why a 8K rom works, as there seem to be important routines in the rom (according to the book) from 0x2000, the higher 8K.

But I just checked again: those routines from 0x2000 are merely a copy of the lower 8K.
    So indeed: there is an option to switch between banks, maybe for experimental use.

So, I learned something new.