Image To ZX Spec 1.3.2

edited July 2012 in Announcements
This release hasn't been heavily tested since I said some time ago I wasn't working on it anymore, that being said it seems very stable having spent most of the day squashing bugs! Please report any bugs on this thread (unless already stated in the readme.txt).

Version 1.3.2
  • Added Character Conversion (image to text)
  • Fixed long standing monochrome dithering bug (loss of detail)
  • UI changes for new options and usability changes.
  • Source code contains initial ground work for Muffin web proxy

rihanna.png
robo.png

Obviously the new 1.3.2 textual resolution isn't that great but somebody may find a use for it - exports as anim gif, tap, scr, png, jpg and txt.

This release isn't on general release for a while - Wossers get it first.
Download
GPL source download
Post edited by brownb2 on

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Thanks for another release! Question: Have you experimented with image to graphics conversion? I'm specifically referring to the graphics in the number keys. A few years ago someone did something for the ZX81 and they managed to convert an iPod advertisement video into an animation on the ZX81 without using a lot of memory. I was blown away. The characters that are accessible from BASIC are very similar to the ZX81's low resolution screen.
  • edited July 2012
    Any combination of graphics on keys 1,2,3,4 is all that's needed. 4x4 pixels.

zx81keys.png
    WIP Tritone Demo
    No more html on dropbox. :(
  • edited July 2012
    Yes my initial builds did this but I can't export the characters to UTF-8 text and their representation cannot be saved (i.e. there is no BASIC compiler built in that could export these characters for the Spectrum).

I've just seen that there are some ALT codes (e.g 219) that can represent some similar characters, but this is not complete. I could export an xhtml table with spectrum key codes as the name of images tags representing the characters, but that would be messy and I've no idea if it's practical for anyone else.
    zxbruno wrote: »
    Thanks for another release! Question: Have you experimented with image to graphics conversion? I'm specifically referring to the graphics in the number keys.
  • edited July 2012
    So it turns out my 2 colour monochrome error diffusion fix had another bug in that actually caused the dithering patterns to corrupt slightly post dither (if you weren't looking for it you probably wouldn't have noticed).

So I started on a refactor of the area and in doing so read up a bit and found a things that I'm adding as new features in 1.3.3 (bold are in progress/may not release in 1.3.3):
    • Serpentine error diffusion dithering (can improve classical error diffusion)
    • Attribute block level error diffusion (reducing error across blocks results in more exact colours, but not necessarily the best looking). I have a basic implementation but I think I can improve so this is still ongoing.
    • UI changes (e.g. "Preferences" now "Control Panel", new advanced dithering tab)
    • Improvement to accuracy of error diffusion (TBH not very noticeable).
    • UI Usability changes (possibly - intended to keep control panel open and dockable, possibly doing multiple video preview)

Thank my wife, she's the one with patience for my hobby :)
  • edited July 2012
    brownb2 wrote: »
    Yes my initial builds did this but I can't export the characters to UTF-8 text and their representation cannot be saved (i.e. there is no BASIC compiler built in that could export these characters for the Spectrum).

An easy solution is to export it as plain text using BASin escape sequences, so users can copy/paste it into BASin afterwards.

Another alternative is to export it like this.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited July 2012
    An easy solution is to export it as plain text using BASin escape sequences, so users can copy/paste it into BASin afterwards.

Noted - I'll re-add this feature with the new characters.
  • edited July 2012
    I've finally added in extended video fornat support for all platforms, notably xvid can be converted and this also fixes the video run length bug that affect some videos.

For giggles I've converted the new avengers trailer using serpentine, atrribute constrained dithering, low error atkinson with a small amount of pre processing (brightness increase +5% only).

If you're insane enough to view it the 6MB to GIF conversion is below (obviously not image linked - you'll also need a fast browser to prevent it stuttering), I can post a tap on request.
    http://mirror.viperfang.net/silentdevelopments/temp/avengers.gif
  • edited July 2012
    An easy solution is to export it as plain text using BASin escape sequences, so users can copy/paste it into BASin afterwards

And ZX Basic, which is compatible with that notation :)