Games that are impossible to complete due to bugs!

jiljil
edited January 2014 in Games
I'm trying to compile a list of Speccy games that cannot be completed because of a bug (or simply bad programming)! Here's a few...

Frankie Goes To Hollywood (I heard 99% maximum is possible - one task cannot be done?)
Revolution (have poked snap of end)
Jet Set Willy (have snap of end using official Software Projects pokes)
Starion (there is a bug-fixed version in existence...)
Heartland (Mort! said in an old thread here: "there was a bug which made the game crash when you collected the last...page")
Dizzy 2 (Treasure Island) Crash Edition (not sure, but there's no solution anywhere - YS claimed one of the Crash Dizzy games was bugged but seemed to be referring to Dizzy 1 Crash Edition, which IS completable)
Billy Bong (crashes at start of level 20)
Track & Field (crashes when qualifying in last event)

Am I wrong on any of these (some are from hazy memory of what I read years ago)?
Can anyone think of any more? I don't mean games that are just very difficult, I mean games that are LITERALLY impossible to complete (unless poked), even though there may be a nice ending hiding in the code... :D
EDIT: I did have --- Moon Alert --- in the list above but have now managed to complete it (and Moon Patrol too...) :roll:
ANOTHER EDIT: I also had --- Fairlight 2 (the "key bug" prevents completion - this game was released unfinished...) --- listed above, but now it seems this "key bug" is passable - although still not 100% sure if the game can be completed at this time...

[ This Message was edited by: jil on 2004-03-14 22:35 ]
Post edited by jil on

Comments

• edited March 2004
    On old scribblers congrats page my fairlight 2 snap shows the furthest you can get on fairlight 2, Similarly with heartland(got all the light pages, and when grabbing the last you are transported to the realm on 1982 sinclair research,which may or may not be heaven!), really annoying, I may try to finish the c64/amstrad version in the near future(but it won`t be the same).

• jiljil
    edited March 2004
    I have those snaps, Mort (for Fairlight 2 and Heartland) and have been considering putting them online at Speccy Spoilers :)
    I only discovered this week that Heartland was supposed to crash when I found a post in WOS forums by you on the subject (I'd thought it was just a dodgy snapshot! :o ) As for the key-bug in Fairlight 2, I may just add that into the Fairlight folder. Again, it was only when I did a search on the subject that I knew for sure that this is a bug that prevents the game being completed. :cry:
    Is there anyone out there who could produce some pokes to bypass these bugs so the game endings can be seen and archived? :D

Also note, ignore Moon Alert in my list above - I just had another attempt at it a few minutes ago and managed to get past the extremely difficult bit I was stuck on and then completed it at long last (hoorah!)... so, difficult but not impossible!
    I was in fact getting muddled up with Atarisoft's Moon Patrol which HAS got the aforementioned bug that prevents you progressing past a certain obstacle halfway through the 2nd level! So Moon Patrol IS impossible! :roll:

((((EDIT: Just tried Moon Patrol again and discovered I can get past the glitch and complete it after all... doh! :o ))))

There are some other games I suspect may be impossible, but I shall go into those later... ;)

[ This Message was edited by: jil on 2004-03-12 08:53 ]
  • edited March 2004
    I had no idea Fairlight 2 was impossible... is there a description of the problem somewhere?

Does the 128k version of the game suffer from the same problem? IIRC, it was released some time after the 48k version...
  • jiljil
    edited March 2004
    Hmmm, just been reading up on Fairlight 2 again - have a look at this link...
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Fuz4q9.7Iv.D.ma%40bath.ac.uk

Perhaps it can be completed after all? Certainly it seems some people appear to have got further than the key bug (indeed perhaps right to the end) so maybe there is a way to work around it? :confused: There's also a current thread in comp.sys.sinclair on this very subject. ;)
  • edited March 2004
    Other games that had the same probs;

Ninja - an old budget game that crashed randomly. Check out the .tap file on WOS, it's the most bugged thing I've ever seen.

Megabucks - another budget game. Would only let you complete 99%. Shame, it's one of my favourite games up until that point!

• jiljil
    edited March 2004
    On 2004-03-11 09:55, Bluce_Ree wrote:
    Megabucks - another budget game. Would only let you complete 99%. Shame, it's one of my favourite games up until that point!
    WRONG! :p
    Mega Bucks was also one of my favourite games - I have played it through to the end (with 100%) numerous times!
    Want proof? Check Speccy Spoilers!!! :lol:
    Open the snap, press space (to select the video tape) and it's done!
    Now who says my site isn't useful? :cool:

By the way, if you are thinking of the cemetary door, then that is a kind of red herring, you cannot go past it! Which remind me of another list I've been meaning to compile - games with doors in them that can never be opened!
    There are also "false" doors in Popeye, Great Escape... can anyone think of others? :lol:

[ This Message was edited by: jil on 2004-03-11 10:07 ]
  • edited March 2004
    I'm sure I completed Treasure Island Dizzy. Not very often back on the original because only having one life makes it quite a difficult one to do.
  • edited March 2004
    UCM (Ultimate Combat Mission), a 'commando-em-up' by Mastertronic was decidedly dodgy - it would flip you back to 'Sinclair Research' with alarming regularity. Never did quite figure out what it was that caused the crash, but I never got anywhere near the end even with POKEs because of it.
  • edited March 2004
    Do Mastering faults apply too ??

I think Last Ninja Remix may have a duplication fault on the last level ?
    Anyone completed this ?

Wasn't 'New Zealand Story' bugged too on the last level ? It would load but would crash when you jumped into the final exit ?
    You could only complete it with the level skip cheat (mutherf**kingkiwibast*rds) ;)

Regards

Andy Barker
  • edited March 2004
    IIRC Andy, the last level just won't load at all. I seem to remember trying all kinds of different versions of the tape thinking it was a fault with my copy but it turned out they were all the same.

Didn't one version R-Type ship with two copies of the same level, meaning you couldn't get any further once you hit that point?
  • edited March 2004
    Booty! I have never picked up one object due to its position in the corner of the screen. :)
  • edited March 2004
    Anarachy Crashes after you complete level 16.
    I'm a 21st Century digital boy, I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys.
  • GOCGOC
    edited March 2004
    Is there anyone out there who could produce some pokes to bypass these bugs so the game endings can be seen and archived? :D

This looks like a job for BadBeard - hacking genius extraordinaire ;)
  • EdEd
    edited March 2004
    On 2004-03-11 02:39, jil wrote:
    Starion (there is a bug-fixed version in existence...)

Indeed there is. Melbourne House released a second version of the game which fixed nearly all the bugs, and then a printed patch sheet which quashed the remainder. Jim Grimwood explains this in a text file in the zip archive right here on WoS:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=Starion

There's a fatter version of this zip file, with assembler listings and sundry other gubbins, here.
  • edited March 2004
    On 2004-03-11 02:39, jil wrote:

Heartland (Mort! said in an old thread here: "there was a bug which made the game crash when you collected the last...page")
    Dizzy 2 (Treasure Island) Crash Edition (not sure, but there's no solution anywhere - YS claimed one of the Crash Dizzy games was bugged but seemed to be referring to Dizzy 1 Crash Edition, which IS completable)
    Track & Field (crashes when qualifying in last event)

Am I wrong on any of these (some are from hazy memory of what I read years ago)?

Can't confirm none of the above. Moreover, a complete solutions of Dizzy II does exist - I downloaded it two years ago from Tommy Pereira's Mondo Dizzy website. Here it is (Warning - spoilers alert!):

L, Get Chest, Drop Chest by Cliff, U, Lx8, U, U, Get Snorkle, R, Kick Stone, R, R, Get Sword, Get Camera, D, D, Rx5, D, R, Drop Sword, Drop Camera, R, D, R, R, Get Spade, R, Drop Spade on Rock, Lx3, U, L, Get Camera, Get Sword, R, D, Rx4, U, R, Rx4, Give Camera to Storekeeper, R, R, Drop Boat, Lx3, Get Bible, L, L, Drop Sword on Grave, Get Axe, return to start screen, L, U, L, L, Drop Axe on Bridge, D, R, Get Treasure, Return to Storekeeper, Give Treasure, R, R, Drop Motor, Get Key, Lx5, D, L, Get Dynamite, R, R, R, Drop Key on Barrel, D, Get Microwave, return to Start Screen, Drop Oven, L, U, Lx6, U, U, Get Detonator, D, D, Lx4, Drop Dynamite beside Rock, go behind other Rock and Drop Detonator, Take Bag, return to Start Screen, Take Oven, return to Storekeeper, Give Bag, Give Oven, R, R, Drop Petrol, Drop Key, R, Pay the taxman 30 Gold Coins and you've completed the game.

(Alternatively you can beat the game without all 30 Coins and watch the alternate ending)

Same goes for the other two games, never heard of such things.
    On 2004-03-11 09:55, Bluce_Ree wrote:
    Other games that had the same probs;

Ninja - an old budget game that crashed randomly. Check out the .tap file on WOS, it's the most bugged thing I've ever seen.

Well, the TZX file works perfectly well on my system. It was an old budget favorite of mine, so I played it extensively and never got any problems.
    On 2004-03-11 10:24, Lee Tonks wrote:
    UCM (Ultimate Combat Mission), a 'commando-em-up' by Mastertronic was decidedly dodgy - it would flip you back to 'Sinclair Research' with alarming regularity. Never did quite figure out what it was that caused the crash, but I never got anywhere near the end even with POKEs because of it.

Hmmm, sometimes I experiences crashes too with it, but I thought it was due to the fact that I had a pirate version of it, from one of those f***ing "tape magazines"... I should play it more on emulation and see if it behaves strangely.

I have a game for your attention too:
    Strike Force SAS (Mikro-Gen, 1987).
    Those of you who made their way to the fourth level would have noticed that there is a point impossible to pass - the third screen right from the start, right after the watch tower. The level is not completed after you kill all the terrorists and rescue the hostage from the previous screens, so I suppose there is a bug that prevents you to reach the other parts of the level itself.
  • edited March 2004
    Hmmm, sometimes I experiences crashes too with it, but I thought it was due to the fact that I had a pirate version of it, from one of those f***ing "tape magazines"... I should play it more on emulation and see if it behaves strangely.

Nah - my original crashes all the time. Especially in 128k mode, but 48k mode isn't immune either.
  • edited March 2004
    I remember reading one of Stuart Campbell's articles in YS which stated that New Generation's 'Cliff Hanger' had a bug which stopped it being completed.
    As for badly mastered tapes, my version of System 3's 'Vendetta' refuses to load one of the later levels.
  • edited March 2004
    I always thought Sir Fred had a bug in it in which I couldn't get passed the first few screens. I later realised it was because I was utter crap at the game
  • FilFil
    edited March 2004
    On 2004-03-11 12:53, Lee Tonks wrote:
    IIRC Andy, the last level just won't load at all. I seem to remember trying all kinds of different versions of the tape thinking it was a fault with my copy but it turned out they were all the same.

Didn't one version R-Type ship with two copies of the same level, meaning you couldn't get any further once you hit that point?

The last level of TNZS did load, but when you went towards where the boss was, the game crashed. Pretty annoying, as the last stage is very hard!

The original release of R-Type (Electric Dreams) had level seven twice: there was no level eight. This was due to mastering: the programmer Bob Pape tested the game using an invincibility poke(!), and a fancy loader was added, and the error crept in. I was pretty annoyed with this too, as I had been waiting for the game for ages!

Phil
  • FilFil
    edited March 2004
    On 2004-03-11 09:48, jil wrote:
    Hmmm, just been reading up on Fairlight 2 again - have a look at this link...
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=Fuz4q9.7Iv.D.ma%40bath.ac.uk

Perhaps it can be completed after all? Certainly it seems some people appear to have got further than the key bug (indeed perhaps right to the end) so maybe there is a way to work around it? :confused: There's also a current thread in comp.sys.sinclair on this very subject. ;)

I got really far in part 2, to a narrow room with a monk guarding a door. I used a potion to kill the monk, but didn't have the key to unlock the door. The only key I never tried was the key hidden in the start room of part 1 - I never knew about it until years later; perhaps that is the key?

VERY unfair if it is!

Phil
  • edited March 2004
    New Zealand Story loads the last level perfectly well here (big-boxed version on +2 and +2a). Don't know about the bug at the end of the level though - I can never get that far!

I don't think Crash ever did Treasure Island Dizzy, they only did the first one and changed item locations around. TI Dizzy is completable.

Booty is completable too - there's a snapshot at Speccy Spoilers (I think).
    Oh, no. Every time you turn up something monumental and terrible happens.
    I don’t think I have the stomach for it.
    --Raziel (Legend of Kain: Soul Reaver 2)

https://www.youtube.com/user/VincentTSFP
  • jiljil
    edited March 2004
    Indeed, Booty IS at Speccy Spoilers, as is Mega Bucks, Moon Alert (now!) and Treasure Island Dizzy (although I can't distribute that one)...

PLEASE note - I KNOW Dizzy 2 is completable (*me bangs head against brick wall*) :roll: - I'm talking about the CRASH EDITION DEMO VERSION (and yes it does exist)... :D
    ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/Crash/Issue72/Tape/CrashIssue72-Presents8.tzx.zip
    ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/magazines/Crash/Issue72/Pages/Crash7200010.jpg
    However, I haven't had a chance to thoroughly play this one yet - so maybe it is completable after all (it's just that I seem to recall reading somewhere that it wasn't possible due to bugs but I may be wrong on this one). Crash says you can collect 16 (not 30) coins in this version, and score up to 30,000 points - so I'd like to see if that's possible...

I'm not personally so concerned with games that just "crash a lot" (although it's nice to hear about them anyway). I often wondered if Stonkers was impossible, it crashed so often for me, but with an emulator I managed to complete it.
    So, for the purposes of my little list, it depends whether or not it ALWAYS crashes at a certain point and if there is no way of getting around this to reach the ending (or if it crashes just before the ending sequence).

There are a few games that I've played on my emulator that have crashed a long way into the game, but I can never be quite sure if I just have a corrupted copy, or if my emulator is just being strange, or if this happens to EVERYone! But if other people have found the same thing wrong with a game, then it's more likely to be a problem in the code itself and not a duplication error in a few copies!

New Zealand Story seems to ring a bell, and quite a few people have stated in this thread that it crashes at the last boss - so this sounds to me like one that can't be completed. Unless anyone can claim/prove differently, of course! :)

• jiljil
    edited March 2004
    I've just heard from a comp.sys.sinclair regular who says he has completed New Zealand Story. This suggests that there may have been a lot of dud copies about (tape duplication problem I presume?) but that the game code itself is OK and working copies do exist. Maybe it just crashed on certain Spectrum models (like the +2A) or something? I'm speculating now... :)
  • edited March 2004
    Impossible Mission - sometimes you can find only 35 puzzles. Just a small initializing problem.
  • jiljil
    edited March 2004
    Impossible Mission is, ironically, NOT impossible though :lol: Quite a nice end sequence too, see Speccy Spoilers ;)
  • edited March 2004
    Well it was of course not impossible to finish but no mention of bugged games can be complete with 'The Hobbit'.

Dave
  • edited March 2004
    I seem to remember the last level of A View To A Kill by Domark was riddled by bugs that caused me not to complete it?
  • jpjp
    edited March 2004
    There is a bug in Impossible Mission that certainly does not aid you complete if you were dialling the agency for help - "Have we enough pieces to solve the upper left puzzle?"

If you do not have enough pieces, you get the message "*NEED MORE PIECES*".

If you do have enough pieces, you get the message "NTATION CORRECT*NOT" (This is a hangover from the other agency help "Correct orientation of leftmost pieces")

With the bug fixed, and when you do have enough pieces, you now get the message "*A SOLUTION EXISTS*".

See the tipshop for my bugfix ...
  • edited March 2004
    I thought Dizzy II was one of the easiest games ever. Sure, the one life thing made it annoying at times, but once you knew what you were doing, it was extremely easy. Much easier than the first Dizzy.

Now, I can't remember ever completing the Crash version. Something may have been up with that version. Not 100% sure though.

R-Type missed the final stage originally, of course. And what a nightmare JSW was! Had I know my version was so bugged I wouldn't have cared so much! Still a great game though and Andy Noble's version can certainly be completed. Great ending!
  • edited March 2004
    Xecutor and Action Force 2. AF2 used to be one of my favorite games and as I didn't finish it in the past and was always wondering how much levels it consisited of I began to play on an emulator and on the 110th level the bin was behind the pillar so I couldn't kill it! I decided to remove this bug and rummaged in the code but an idea came to me, so I made a shortcut so that the beginning of the level at the same time was its end. I watched till the 1000th level. As it appeares it's a neverending game! I have the snapshots.