Spectrum in black TS1500 case with grey "Sinclair ZX Spectrum" label

2»

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I really love the look of that TS2000 !!! it looks great!
  • edited September 2012
    TS2000 looks fantastic. But it should look like this :D
    tt3000top.jpg
    with full keyboard and "normal size" keys ;)
    I'm still tempted to replace TT3000 ROM with a TC2048 ROM to see if it boots because of the 16K RAM it have. But my FDD3000 is broken... :(
  • edited September 2012
    Just out of interest, has anyone got a screenshot of CP/M in 80 column mode on the Timex FDD system?
  • edited September 2012
    aowen wrote: »
    Just out of interest, has anyone got a screenshot of CP/M in 80 column mode on the Timex FDD system?

see here.

http://www.timexsinclair.org/unsorted/TS-ZebraDiskSystem.html
  • edited September 2012
    I don't recall any option on CP/M program monitor or TT3000 for 64/80 column CP/M output.
  • edited September 2012
    Encarnado wrote: »
    I don't recall any option on CP/M program monitor or TT3000 for 64/80 column CP/M output.

I thought the 64K version of the FDD just used the Speccy to generate the display and provided an 80x24 mode for CP/M. 64x24 isn't much cop for running most CP/M programs and TMX Portugal could have reused the code from BASIC64 (although the 80 column mode there was horribly slow). I was just curious to see what font was used. Looks to me like a modified version of the ROM font, and it definitely looks like an 80 column display in the screenshot with the CP/M message on it.
  • edited September 2012
    Spelaking of CP/M, last time I checked there was no digital backup of the one by Timex Portugal. Yarek's versions are heavily modified.
  • edited September 2012
    Encarnado wrote: »

If you look closely at that screenshot, at the end you will see 'by Jack Dohany' followed by his phone number.

Jack Dohany added features to and improved on a lot of software for the 2068 during the 80s / early 90s. Among his projects were MSCRIPT (reaching to at least version 5.5), PCG's Desktop Publishing SW (ported from the Spectrum) and it seems this CP/M monitor. I don't know how much more he did but that's not an exhaustive list.

I've looked for my magazine stash in storage and it seems I don't have much here. I have another storage locker in Vancouver but I will not be there for a few months at least.

Edit: I can see there are quite a few things missing from a Timex pov in the archive. Jack Dohany is listed there at least and a visit to PCG's DTP software shows it was re-released in Brazil. Jack had modified it to support common ts2068 disk interfaces and printers and was selling it in the US for PCG. In fact I bought a copy from him. I see NovelSoft's entry has been fixed to point to Canada. The tape magazine 'Byte Power' was published by the Boisvert brothers (the guys behind NovelSoft) and that is also from Canada. There's enough in the database that maybe I should take a look through to fix any errors :-)
  • edited September 2012
    aowen wrote: »
    I thought the 64K version of the FDD just used the Speccy to generate the display and provided an 80x24 mode for CP/M. 64x24 isn't much cop for running most CP/M programs and TMX Portugal could have reused the code from BASIC64 (although the 80 column mode there was horribly slow). I was just curious to see what font was used. Looks to me like a modified version of the ROM font, and it definitely looks like an 80 column display in the screenshot with the CP/M message on it.

The FDD (a upgraded FDD3 to 64K RAM or FDD3000) do not use a speccy/Timex computer to generate video. CP/M is running in the FDD and speccy/Timex computer only is used as a terminal. The "video output" is generated by the Terminal program by gathering data from FDD to show on computer display.
    CP/M is independent from whatever you use to see what it is doing. You can make a batch file/program and run it never connecting a computer/TT3000/monitor to it.
    If it used the 80 column code from BASIC 64, it was improved as I recall it being fast.
    TT3000 is a computer with Terminal program on EPROM.
    I do have images of Terminal Program and CP/M. If anyone want to mess with them I can provide them.

EDIT:
    http://www.encarnado.com/ssc/MONITOR.zip
    This ZIP contains files from Terminal Monitor disk in 2 formats: TAP and headless files.
  • edited September 2012
    I'm in contact with Timex again and I will post my Q&A here soon. Not a lot of new info, but I guarantee it will be interesting. I tend to avoid contacting some individuals for various reasons (but also for not wanting to bother or risk losing contact for being annoying). But since I'm handling related matters wit Mr. Lou I went ahead and asked a few questions, and will probably ask more. The next person I need to find (and for which I already have the name) was the head of hardware development! Watch this space.
  • edited September 2012
    Opened a new topic (which I thought would result in a few replies), here:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=40917