First new game of 2013: Apulija-13

Corporal Jonlan is on a dangerous mission.

Under a false identity, he must gain access to an Omni Corporation base, steal the plans for some new fearsome weapons and sabotage the facility.

But as soon as he approaches the place, 'they' attack and spread death, mayhem and chaos.

Fate awaits Jonlan on...

Apulija3.jpg

[size=+2]APULIJA-13[/size]

A survival horror game for the 48/128 Spectrum

Features:
  • A whole base to explore
  • Aliens and contaminated humans
  • Nuclear fuel leaks
  • Blazing fires
  • Three different firearms to use
  • Five keycards, a data disk, a spacecraft component and an anti-rad protection to find
  • A time bomb to place (then get the hell out!)
  • Hidden objects, Easter eggs and a final surprise!
Apulija-13 has been made in order to promote Apulia Retrocomputing 2013, the computing and videogaming event that will be held for the first time next 22-23 of March in Bari, Italy.

Game and documentation in four languages: Italian, English, German and Spanish. Please read the INFO.TXT file and the user manual in PDF format thoroughly before playing.
Apulija0.png

Concept art for the loading screen

Available in TZX, DSK and TRD file formats. The TZX files have been recorded with the Biturbo 2 loading scheme created in 1987 by Giovanni "GB Max" Zanetti, the most notorious Italian cracker of Spectrum games. I reverse-engineered the code with the aid of a decoding utility programmed by Stefano Guida.

A word of caution: DSK and TRD files have been tested under emulation only and although they ran flawlessly (only a couple of emulators among those I used to test the game refused to work with the TRD version) I cannot guarantee 100% that they will behave the same on real hardware.

Apulija-13 has been authored with Jonathan Cauldwell's Arcade Game Designer 3.2 and is released under the Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 3.0 Italia license.

Downloadable from my website (download link at the bottom of the page, but if you understand Italian, please read the whole article!)

Now have fun, and please submit your feedback here! :)
Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on

Comments

• Loving the loading screen. It reminds me of Laser Squad which is always a good thing!
    Can't be bothered playing spectrum games at this time of night, so I'll have to leave it till later.
  • edited January 2013
    Bit tipsy on red wine right now, but it looks great! Will give it a bash later! :)
  • edited January 2013
    Amazing job!:-o
    Cultural association in south Italy
    www.apuliaretrocomputing.it
    Personal site
    www.sinclairitaly.wordpress.com
  • edited January 2013
    Great job, Alessandro! I will try TR-Dos version on real Speccy.
  • edited January 2013
    SoftLight wrote: »
    Great job, Alessandro! I will try TR-Dos version on real Speccy.
    Thank you! Please let me know if it works all right or if you had some problems. I did that version specifically for the Spec-chums from the former USSR but I couldn't test it on real hardware because I don't have a Beta Disk 128 interface handy.
  • edited January 2013
    It looks good i will try and find time to play later.
  • edited January 2013
    Thank you! Please let me know if it works all right or if you had some problems. I did that version specifically for the Spec-chums from the former USSR but I couldn't test it on real hardware because I don't have a Beta Disk 128 interface handy.

TRD-version works fine on ZX Evolution: I have tested it from real 5,25 diskette and from SD Memory Card. But here is inexplicable: AY-music does not play in main menu. While I can hear normal sound beeps when keys pressed. It seems there are some features of AY-ports in Pentevo.
  • edited January 2013
    TRD-version works fine on ZX Evolution: I have tested it from real 5,25 diskette and from SD Memory Card. But here is inexplicable: AY-music does not play in main menu. While I can hear normal sound beeps when keys pressed. It seems there are some features of AY-ports in Pentevo.
    Hmm... Let's see what happens with other TR-DOS-based systems, then. Many of them (Pentagon, Scorpion, KAY-1024, ATM-Turbo etc.) did not show such a problem when emulated, while the Profi-1024 (both v3 and v5) did, although with AY sound effects still played during the game.

I used an IF PEEK 23296 = 245 condition in the BASIC management program in order to play the AY music. Maybe that's the cause.
  • edited January 2013
    I used an IF PEEK 23296 = 245 condition in the BASIC management program in order to play the AY music. Maybe that's the cause.

Here's the thing. I just checked. Actually when TR-Dos started from PentEvo's Service Menu this area is empty.

Here's antother ways to check AY presence:

check AY presence:

[PHP]Muzak ld bc,65533
    ld a,0
    out (c),a
    ld b,191
    ld a,64
    out (c),a
    ld b,255
    in a,(c)
    cp 64
    jr z, AYPRESENT[/PHP]

If AY present you can also check sound card type:

[PHP]Tip ld bc,65533
    ld a,16
    out (c),a
    in a,(c)
    cp 255
    jr nz, AY-8910/12
    jr YAMAHA 2149F[/PHP]
  • edited January 2013
    Good job! Very climatic.
  • edited January 2013
    Works well with a real floppy:
    http://youtu.be/pZO_Eco08Z8
    AY-music issue solved for PentEvo: need to run the game from 'Spectrum 128' menu.
  • utzutz
    edited January 2013
    Finally an adventure that even I can enjoy (not that I got very far yet, but at least it's not as ridiculously hard as most of them). Excellent graphics, great story, addictive gameplay - what more do you need. Job well done.
  • edited January 2013
    mille grazie !!
    what very nice game and in some localisations.
    30 years ago, it would be a superhit.
    its lot of fun to play
    ZX Everyday in Germany
  • edited January 2013
    Congrats, Alessandro - it's great! :)
  • edited January 2013
    Just awesome. I'm amazed with the visuals. Great job!
  • edited January 2013
    Looks good, ill give it a go later and drop feedback
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks everybody for the feedback :) I tried to put as much care as I could in the game and I am glad to receive such a positive general impression.

I also wanted to do something which had to be quite different from the AGD games, including Lost In My Spectrum, that we have seen to this day. I hope Apulija-13 will also be a source of inspiration for other titles authored with Jonathan's great utility.
    AY-music issue solved for PentEvo: need to run the game from 'Spectrum 128' menu.
    I noticed that doing so solves that issue with the Profis as well (emulated with ZXMAK 2.7.2.0).
  • edited January 2013
    really liking this, just had one go and will definitely be returning for more. reminds me a bit in some ways of Gunfighter which is actually one of my favorite games. :smile:

one question,is it possible to exit from 'inventory' without putting an object down?
  • edited January 2013
    def chris wrote: »
    really liking this, just had one go and will definitely be returning for more. reminds me a bit in some ways of Gunfighter which is actually one of my favorite games. :smile:

one question,is it possible to exit from 'inventory' without putting an object down?

Thank you Chris. About your question: as far as I could understand AGD's documentation, I believe not, otherwise I would certainly have made it as you wrote.

However the new AGD 3.2 EXIT command - which purpose was not explained in AGD 3.1 although being present since 3.1 was an 'experimental' release - could be used for that, for example by pressing again INVENTORY. I will investigate in that and see if it works, although I doubt it will be enough for a 1.1 version of Apulija-13. It would require changing too many things in order to obtain a few more bytes in the editor (which otherwise won't work) and re-mastering all the distribution files, a downright pain in the neck if you ask me. However it could also be possible, just don't hold your breath :)
  • edited January 2013
    Very nice Alessandro,

I'm thoroughly impressed by your attention to detail - including the novella you have published to go with it!

This game has a great atmosphere. It will need more than the casual attempts I've made so far, but after I'm done with LIMS I wil give this the attention it deserves.

Lovely loading screen too, very 1980s.

In cauda venenum eh...
  • edited January 2013
    Thank you Chris. About your question: as far as I could understand AGD's documentation, I believe not, otherwise I would certainly have made it as you wrote.

However the new AGD 3.2 EXIT command - which purpose was not explained in AGD 3.1 although being present since 3.1 was an 'experimental' release - could be used for that, for example by pressing again INVENTORY. I will investigate in that and see if it works, although I doubt it will be enough for a 1.1 version of Apulija-13. It would require changing too many things in order to obtain a few more bytes in the editor (which otherwise won't work) and re-mastering all the distribution files, a downright pain in the neck if you ask me. However it could also be possible, just don't hold your breath :)
    ok thanks, not really worth changing in that case.

found an interesting 'secret room' that will help my quest now anyway :-)
  • edited January 2013
    Alessandro - you appear to be indestructable! ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Hi folks,

version 1.1 of Apulija-13 is ready! New features:

- Optimized game script for a better gaming experience.
    - Fixed an issue with doors.
    - Added a new bouncing enemy.
    - Added a new alien sprite.

The new files have already been sent to the WOS archive, but at present you can obtain the new version from my website (dowload link at the bottom of the page as before).
  • edited January 2013
    :oops: I'm sorry guys, but I discovered the version I uploaded to WOS contained a little bug. As Jonlan's health went lower than 10 when hit by the new bouncing alien, it was printed on column 3 of the screen instead of column 30. I promptly fixed the issue by adding a 0 in the game script, so it's just really a "silent update" ;) Sorry for the inconvenience - I believe going back through the whole process of fix-save-compress-assemble for each language plus the two multi-language disk versions has been hard enough as a punishment :lol:

The fixed V1.1 can be downloaded from the above link; I am sure Martijn will refresh the files on the WOS archive soon, I already uploaded them.
  • edited January 2013
    Wow, I had to unlurk to say what a little gem this game is! Just completed it (V1.0) and loved every minute. Great surprise ending (though somehow I expected that it might not be quite over yet) and brilliant to see the world of my old beloved Laser Squad expanded in a more arcadey form. Sequel please! ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks a lot pal, and welcome to the WOS forum :D
    iBudd wrote: »
    Sequel please! ;)
    Er, would you like to tackle version 1.1 before that? ;)
  • edited January 2013
    Excellent work!!!!
  • edited January 2013
    Just downloaded it. It has good graphics and an interesting map.

I like the game's atmosphere, exploring... As someone said above, It reminds me a bit of Laser Squad.

Congrats! :smile:
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks guys. Actually Juan, the game is set in the Laser Squad universe... :)
  • edited September 2013
    Here is the update to version 1.2:
    • New TAP and TRD DivIDE-compatible versions.
    • New "Kobrahsoft SL3" fast loading scheme (TZX files only).
    • New start AY music composed with Sound Tracker.
    • "Rebel Network" test pattern taken from the "Director's Cut" version (in "Al's Double Bill").
    • Corrected some minor graphic inconsistencies.
    Download it from here.