The Official Crap Games Competition 2013 Thread!

edited January 2014 in Games
Just to announce that the 2013 CGC is OPEN!

cgctitle2_zps77591934.jpg

And for the duration of the year it will live at:

www.csscgc2013.blogspot.co.uk/

(You may find this hard to believe but I'm not a professional web designer).

Please email your crap games to:

cgc2013@rocketmail.com

Hopefully all the information can be gleaned from the competition site.

I hope this doesn't prove controversial but I've introduced immunity from hosting the competition if you really really don't want to (if you 'lose'). This is because a lot of people have commented that they have not entered for this very reason - and a lot of crap is missed out as a result. It does rely of course on general goodwill, and not everyone asking for it.

If there's anything else please feel free to ask, in this thread, PM, or via the official email address cgc2013@rocketmail.com.

Many thanks and get busy my fellow crapateers! I look forward to reviewing your games, and rest assured they will be thoroughly tested on real hardware (where possible) and emulator.

Cheers

RT
Post edited by R-Tape on

Comments

• 10 Goto Laptop
    20 Load Zxspin
    30 Write crap game!
  • edited January 2013
    Aye aye! Time to get crackin'
  • edited January 2013
    Ah! I is good to know that the deadline will be 31st of December and WILL DEFINITELY NOT overrun. I know it won't 'cos it says so in the rules!

Commiserations R-Tape. I was in your shoes about three years back. The honour is .... dubious! :-)

Lol! "1st Prize: Lunch with Clive Sinclair at a transport cafe of your choice". For Oxtail soup no doubt! (Because it is warming and nutritious!)
  • edited January 2013
    Well, a most auspicious start to the CGC! 2 Entries!

I won't be able to review them properly for a day or two, but I want to mention one of them now as it's a tad topical, and demonstrates a furious rate of coding.

Kick the ball boy anyone?

Coming soon...
    BloodBaz wrote: »
    Lol! "1st Prize: Lunch with Clive Sinclair at a transport cafe of your choice". For Oxtail soup no doubt! (Because it is warming and nutritious!)

It will definitely be lunch with Clive Sinclair but the soup type is as yet undecided. I'm expecting his call any minute though.
  • edited January 2013
    BloodBaz wrote: »
    Ah! I is good to know that the deadline will be 31st of December and WILL DEFINITELY NOT overrun. I know it won't 'cos it says so in the rules!

yes, when is deadline over?
  • edited January 2013
    and one more question - does Basic programming language allowed?
    what if i wrote a game using Z80 assembly?
  • edited January 2013
    g0blinish wrote: »
    yes, when is deadline over?

December 31st 2013, midnight. You have plenty of time :D
    g0blinish wrote: »
    and one more question - does Basic programming language allowed?
    what if i wrote a game using Z80 assembly?

Yep any language is fine, as long as it results in a game that works. I will update the rules on the website to say this.
  • edited January 2013
    December 31st 2013, midnight. You have plenty of time
    great!thank u!
  • edited January 2013
    I've just submitted my 'game' :-)

Please send any bug reports to Mrs Yates, c/o Ocean Software.

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited January 2013
    Now we're up to 3 entries!

A review of Kick the ballboy is up, and more will follow over the next days.

Please let me know if you have any problems with downloading the file.

I've done a bit of thinking about the prizes, most likely it will involve various bespoke certificates (which I can send a card copy of or just an ecopy whichever is preferred) and all the games put on a cassette.

I'll do a Cassette50 style inlay which is a mashup of the games we get over the year.

This means of course only ZX Spectrum games go on the cassette. So if you can do your entry on the Spectrum it would be best, but games from other platforms are still welcome in the competition :smile:

The Cassette will be called the CassetteX, where X is the number of games we get over the year. Looking at previous years somewhere between 20 and 30 would be nice, so thinking caps on please!

Now, 2 more games to look at. Where's my pills? :-D
  • edited January 2013
    Time to get working and submit some!
  • edited January 2013
    na_th_an wrote: »
    Time to get working and submit some!

p[fff. a couple of days for some code, even w/5 fingers:razz:
  • Nice review! I didn't know my graphics were brobdingnagian. Heck, I didn't even know what that meant!

Before Chelsea's lawyers come knocking I should probably say that any similarity to real life events is completely unintentional!
  • edited January 2013
    wow, it already started? Time to write some great games...
  • edited January 2013
    liking kick the ballboy!
  • edited January 2013
    The second entry is now available via the site. Again if anyone has a problem with the google drive download let me know, it's the easy (lazy) option for me.

Hmmm...

Rat Mole!

Ladies and gentlemen, we have Cassette50 material. :D

EDIT > Rebelstar has since sent a bugfixed (?!!?) version which is also linked to. I must say this is most irregular for the CGC!
  • edited January 2013
    Don't seem to be able to down load Rat Mole! Access denied, or somethign along those lines.
  • edited January 2013
    spud wrote: »
    Don't seem to be able to down load Rat Mole! Access denied, or somethign along those lines.

Oh crap sorry. The default is to have 'not shared'.

I've changed it now so it should be fine.
  • spud wrote: »

Count yourself lucky! Even David Darling didn't like it!:p
  • edited January 2013
    Rat Mole is rather good, and I loved that redefine key option. I kept getting screwed though by shooting opponents only for them to respawn in front of me and trample over me. What a piece of crap !
  • edited January 2013
    spud wrote: »
    Rat Mole is rather good, and I loved that redefine key option. I kept getting screwed though by shooting opponents only for them to respawn in front of me and trample over me. What a piece of crap !

It's a disgraceful ripoff and is exactly what the CGC is looking for.
  • edited January 2013
    Another piece of crap!

The er...100% Unofficial First Entry Simulator.

An eerie and terrifying cave adventure, and our third entry.
  • edited January 2013
    I'm disappointed that no-one is ever encouraged to try and write a decent game in BASIC...
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited January 2013
    joefish wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that no-one is ever encouraged to try and write a decent game in BASIC...

That's kind of how Mathman came about. Though I realised very early on the platform or maze game I had in mind wasn't going to work, and it was bundled off to the cgc.

Escape is the best arcade style game I've seen, would be good to see something new like this. I guess strategy or adventure allows more possibilities.

Escape_10.gif
  • edited January 2013
    joefish wrote: »
    I suppose those games would be submitted to something like the Retrospectiva contest, which closes on April 14, 2013. Based on the FAQ reactions, some Speccy people have considered joining, but I can't see any entries in the game category.
  • edited January 2013
    R-Tape wrote: »
    Escape is the best arcade style game I've seen, would be good to see something new like this. I guess strategy or adventure allows more possibilities.
    In that case, it's a shame there doesn't seem to be anything in the database to mark it out as BASIC. I always thought that version of Manic Miner in BASIC was impressive too.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • So, First Entry. I think I can say without contradiction that it's the best adventure game I've played this year!

I escaped on my second attempt in 4 moves. Is that good?
  • edited January 2013
    Hi all. Probably not the best place to write this but I am so there. I want to write my csscgc2013 opus but tbh cant be arsed with trying to use the speccy editor.

Do any emulators etc allow you to load in a standard .txt file or some such into (preferably 128k) basic?

Cheers
  • edited January 2013
    Scratch that question. ive just found basin! :-)
  • Have you tried BASin?