The Official Crap Games Competition 2013 Thread!

Comments

• edited January 2013
    So, First Entry. I think I can say without contradiction that it's the best adventure game I've played this year!

I escaped on my second attempt in 4 moves. Is that good?
    That's the record to beat so far. Well done. I hope you mapped it so you can pass on some tips ;-)

Also, no one should be able to complete the game in less than two steps unless they're cheating.

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited January 2013
    Once I've done a 'Refined Keys' edition of 100% Unofficial First Entry Simulator (plus added a loading screen, I hope), I have an idea for a strongly adult-themed game. I hope people have objections to such an entry, or it hardly seems worth starting it without the idea offending someone.

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited January 2013
    ..I want to write my csscgc2013 opus...

Even more opus-y than Random Walk? Excellent!
    ..I have an idea for a strongly adult-themed game...

Ooh er! Might I have to change the settings on the site for this?! :D
  • edited January 2013
    If you're lucky my game might be done in time for the 2013 compo... (didn't you say that last year? Ed.)

I should probably start cranking up the hype engine now really. It's going to be astounding. A technical marvel as brilliant as it is pointless...

They're coming...
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited January 2013
    entry submitted. hope you like it.
  • edited January 2013
    R-Tape wrote: »
    Even more opus-y than Random Walk? Excellent!
    Cheers R-Tape. I have low hopes for it. I'm planning on taking the pointlessness from Random Walk and add in the element of fear and suspense. Or something.

Scary thing is I'm actually going to end up learning a whole new load of Basic in order to attempt to implement this.

I've just created my first ever UDGs!
  • Cheers R-Tape. I have low hopes for it. I'm planning on taking the pointlessness from Random Walk and add in the element of fear and suspense. Or something.

Scary thing is I'm actually going to end up learning a whole new load of Basic in order to attempt to implement this.

I've just created my first ever UDGs!

See cgc helps you learn new skills! I think we should apply for a government grant to make crap games next year! Why not? EA get tax breaks for making crap games.
  • edited January 2013
    Absolutely -and if the government need a logo for the scheme I can draw them a rubbish one in 8x8 pixels. With a bit more work I may even be able to make use of it in a print command
  • edited January 2013
    I have an idea and know how to implement it, but I'm afraid to win. :( I see the tradition can be tweaked slightly (not hosting the next one), so I may give it a go...
  • edited January 2013
    zxbruno wrote: »
    I have an idea and know how to implement it, but I'm afraid to win. :( I see the tradition can be tweaked slightly (not hosting the next one), so I may give it a go...

I hope so, and yep as you will not have to host you have nothing to lose! Just let me know your intentions if/when you submit it :smile:
  • edited January 2013
    New heap of crap up!

CarPong by g0blinish.

game.gif

At the CGC site.
  • The ZX Spectrum's version of the White album
    :D

Another great review!

The concept of a game you cannot win is nothing new as anyone who's seen their team on the end of some dubious refereeing decisions at Old Trafford will testify!
  • edited January 2013
    New heap of crap up!

CarPong by g0blinish.

thank you for review. some crazy POKE's:
    $60D4( 24788 ),1 - fast ball
    $60ff( 24831 ),175 - stop cyan bats:p
  • edited February 2013
    Another low quality game is up!

plus2.gif

Peace Love and UnderStanding.

A game that involves love missiles and not one double entendre reference in the review :-o
  • Somebody send R-Tape some wellies for all the crap he's having to wade through!
    No wonder he looks so miserable in this months Retro Gamer! :p
  • edited February 2013
    Somebody send R-Tape some wellies for all the crap he's having to wade through!
    No wonder he looks so miserable in this months Retro Gamer! :p

Heh, and bald. I was sure I had more hair than that.

It's quite exciting seeing so many new genres being invented. Was there such a thing as a 'love em up' until now?
  • Recommended listening for this game: Elvis Costello - What's so funny about peace love and understanding.
  • edited February 2013
    Recommended listening for this game: Elvis Costello - What's so funny about peace love and understanding.

Surely the in game sounds are enough for anyone??!!
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    Surely the in game sounds are enough for anyone??!!

I haven't played it yet so I wouldn't know. I'm still recovering from Carpong! Gonna give it a go later.
  • edited February 2013
    Well if anyone beats Harmony 1155 I want to hear about it.
  • edited February 2013
    I certainly don't intend to try!
    Thanks, Mr Tape, for the detailed reviews. I was disappointed that the word "crap" didn't come up once in the review for Peace, Love and UnderStanding, but I'm sure it's just an oversight.
  • edited February 2013
    Kweepa wrote: »
    I certainly don't intend to try!
    Thanks, Mr Tape, for the detailed reviews. I was disappointed that the word "crap" didn't come up once in the review for Peace, Love and UnderStanding, but I'm sure it's just an oversight.

Cheers! Yep it was an oversight, P.L.US is most definitely CARP! :razz:
  • 1307! The game is strangely addictive! Too addictive for a crap game!
  • edited February 2013
    1307! The game is strangely addictive! Too addictive for a crap game!

Nice one! Once you get into it it's hard to stop, buuuttttt that doesn't mean I'm going back to it to try and beat your score :D

At the end of the year I'm thinking of releasing a little digest : 'The Crap Gaming Year 2013' with the CassetteX* that results from this years entries. the winners will get one, and whoever else wants one.

It will be in the style of an old school fanzine I think - mostly just the reviews but also anything interesting that happens during the year, Hi Scores, standout events etc.

*I just hope X turns out to be a decent number!
  • edited February 2013
    Perhaps a mid-year crap game festival?
  • edited February 2013
    carlsson wrote: »
    Perhaps a mid-year crap game festival?

Heh, could do, a virtual festival or something, to invigorate everyone during the summer lull :D

(ideas welcome!)
  • edited February 2013
    Heh, could do, a virtual festival or something, to invigorate everyone during the summer lull :D

(ideas welcome!)
    A few of us are planning to meet in late Spring for a weekend of retro-ness in Derby. If you're not too far away then maybe you could organise it for then? I think that we're looking at the first or second weekend in May.

Or, if you have the time and lots of free weekends, perhaps you could do a Crap Gaming road show over several events? ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited February 2013
    A few of us are planning to meet in late Spring for a weekend of retro-ness in Derby. If you're not too far away then maybe you could organise it for then? I think that we're looking at the first or second weekend in May.

Or, if you have the time and lots of free weekends, perhaps you could do a Crap Gaming road show over several events? ;-)

Regards,

Shaun.

That's more than I had in mind! I was more thinking of a 'crap' games club night, perhaps we crapateers could all go online here on the same night with our favourite tipple and play choice crap games from Cassette50 or the years entries.

It's a while off anyway though, and let's see how my mental state is after 6 months of crap games :-P
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    That's more than I had in mind! I was more thinking of a 'crap' games club night, perhaps we crapateers could all go online here on the same night with our favourite tipple and play choice crap games

We already do that:

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42342
  • edited February 2013
    What I like about all the CGC's is the write-up that accompanies each game. Looks like this one is going to be a corker, just like the previous ones!