The Official Crap Games Competition 2013 Thread!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    guesser wrote: »
    Well I'm on my second graphics engine rewrite and sixth bottle of Pledge... :D
    I'd recommend Mr Sheen, it shines umpteen things clean.

Regards,

Shaun.
  • edited February 2013
    R-Tape wrote: »
    Oooh nifty. Is that ahead of the scanline? And what size of sprite?

No, it's all buffered drawing using the shadow screen. The sprites are 16x16 :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited February 2013
    Aannnnnddd another one from Kweepa! I'm catching up I think, next one is from na_th_an and will be up soon. (Thanks for your patience other pending entrants)

MATHS + TRACTORS = FUN!

tractor2.gif

Factor Tractor

guesser wrote: »
    No, it's all buffered drawing using the shadow screen. The sprites are 16x16 :)

D'oh sorry you even mentioned the shadow screen earlier. Still sounds exciting though.
  • edited February 2013
    D'oh sorry you even mentioned the shadow screen earlier. Still sounds exciting though.

Unfortunately development has now stalled as my fingers are too cold to code.

*wraps self up in duvet and watches youtube videos instead
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited February 2013
    I really am being showered with crap at the moment!

A game from na_th_an this time.

syrums2.gif

Run for Syrums.

CARP!
  • edited February 2013
    That really is much worse than it looks from the screenshot!
    Congrats na_th_an!
  • edited February 2013
    Oh my sod, another one from Kweepa!

scarp1.gif

space sCARPer

What do we have here? Vector graphics? Really rather good combined with moderately bad. Great work!

Kweepa, if you could post on the blog or here some short notes on 'the making of' that would be most appreciated :-)

Next entry is a corker from joefish, which I may not be able to do until next week now, thankyou for your patience in advance.
  • edited February 2013
    THE MAKING OF... SPACE SCARPER.
    The kernel of the game germinated (do kernels germinate?) in a list of words with 'CRAP' or 'CARP' in them (obviously).
    I thought about some kind of Space War game, but initial experiments showed that the limit for any kind of playability was drawing and erasing two lines per frame, so no bullets, and not even a fully triangular ship.
    With inertia, the ship is still painfully slow, so I picked a design where the slowness worked - manoeuvering around some rooms.
    Level generation follows a typical random room and corridor approach. Nothing clever there, hence the potentially impossible rooms. I just tweaked (WHAT?) the number of rooms and corridors to give somewhat good layouts.
    Collision detection is whether the center of the ship touches a block. The block layout is shadowed in a 2d array, which adds to the level creation time.
    C'est tout!

NEXT WEEK?! But I want it now!
  • edited February 2013
    Does anyone know if there is a CSSCGC record for most number of entries in the same year?
  • edited February 2013
    Right I'm going to enter this for the first time in 10 years (yes I used to be a css regular - you can check out any time you like, etc)
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited February 2013
    Kweepa wrote: »
    NEXT WEEK?! But I want it now!

Think of it as delayed gratif... err crapification.
    carlsson wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a CSSCGC record for most number of entries in the same year?

Don't know but at this rate Kweepa will get there with just his own entries!
    leespoons wrote: »
    Right I'm going to enter this for the first time in 10 years (yes I used to be a css regular - you can check out any time you like, etc)

Excellent! Are your previous ones as 'Lee Prince' in 2003 then?
  • edited February 2013
    Excellent! Are your previous ones as 'Lee Prince' in 2003 then?

Yup... Turbo Nova, The Invisible Man and Bros The Music Box were all my fault.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited February 2013
    Here's the latest entry! From none other than Doctor Rainbow Trousers himself! (joefish).

game1.gif

Paralympic Obstacle Kayaking

A rather splendid little game, and given it's pure speccy BASIC and was done in 4 hours is quite impressive. Reminds me of Albatrossity, and cries out for a more highly crafted version.
  • edited February 2013
    Here's the latest entry! From none other than Doctor Rainbow Trousers himself! (joefish).

game1.gif

Paralympic Obstacle Kayaking

A rather splendid little game, and given it's pure speccy BASIC and was done in 4 hours is quite impressive. Reminds me of Albatrossity, and cries out for a more highly crafted version.
    It is splendid indeed. I was privileged to witness part of its creation at Spectrum 30 - a most ingenious concept, well-executed
  • edited February 2013
    carlsson wrote: »

A quick scan of the crap game finder reveals (unofficially) this scoreboard:

Ian Collier 1997 21
    Ian Collier 1996 18
    Woody 2008 15
    Chris Young 1998 14
    Chris Young 2000 13
    Damion Yates 1996 10
    Derek Jolly 1998 10
    Zoff 2003 10

Chris Young must be the most prolific author. He's made 69 games so far. He's slowing down though, with only one or two entries a year since 2004-5.

2008 had the most entries with 123!
  • edited February 2013
    bigjon wrote: »
    It is splendid indeed. I was privileged to witness part of its creation at Spectrum 30 - a most ingenious concept, well-executed

Aye quite a few of the games so far have real potential, P.O.K is just one example: a machine code version with moving obstacles, baddies, more levels, puzzles, shooting(?), different block interactions (eg land to shuffle over, rapids) etc would be fantastic! Maybe needs rebranding though :-D

As I haven't been going over the code for entries as much as I'd like I didn't notice that P.O.K uses the spectrum attributes nicely as a faster way to delete the ghost graphics. I should remember to use this trick myself.

game3_zpsaa80bea8.gifgame4_zps599e9bba.gif
    2008 had the most entries with 123!

*shudder*
  • edited February 2013
    As I haven't been going over the code for entries as much as I'd like I didn't notice that P.O.K uses the spectrum attributes nicely as a faster way to delete the ghost graphics. I should remember to use this trick myself.
    Turns out the approach I use is actually slower! How's that for a crap attempt at optimisation? The delay at the start is setting up an array of POKE addresses, but it would be quicker to just calculate the attribute address when needed. It is also just as quick to print a SPACE, but since I use attributes for collision detection I need to set the attribute precisely.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited February 2013
    Sounds like a plan. Winner gets to be pope.

Though the gold standard has surely been set with Pope based games with Overtake the pope and Overtake the Pope 2??!!

VATSCR.gif

More info coming soon ...
  • edited February 2013
    joefish wrote: »
    Turns out the approach I use is actually slower! How's that for a crap attempt at optimisation?

Bonus points!
    apenao wrote: »
    VATSCR.gif
    More info coming soon ...

Oooh baby!

And someone give Kweepa an aspirin, he's got crap game fever!

game2.gif

Countless Runes All Pisspoor.
  • edited February 2013
    In the year 2013 the Pope Valmont Ratzinger, better known as Pope Darius Wathever or something like that, rennounces to his supernatural powers and finish his management contract with God's Bussiness. But when you sell your soul to God, chances are you will not end your colaboration... alive.

castle.gif

In Vaticania you play the role of Pope Valmont Ratzinger, fighting the hordes of white doves that the Lord of Lights himself is sending you. Unfortunately, you have run out of garlic and you lost your whip in your last sexual meeting. So try to avoid any contact with theses holy creatures, remember you have refused to your powers and have to face them unarmed. Your goal is to stay alive the time needed to recover your bishopric (the source of all your powers) and then STOP it all. If you win the game, your infinite powers will let you fry the pigeon resulting in the famous "fumata bianca" and will be elected the new Pope. But if you lose, the holy white dove will roast you generating the infamous "fumata nera".

thats.gif

Loading game and instrucions:

1-Load the game.
    2-Follow the instructions.

Features:

-Full detailed recreation of The Vatican and all its conspiracys.
    -Full recreation of the rules followed in the Conclave. Be the first non-religious person to ever discover what going on.
    -This is the first 128k game (well, 133k really) that fits magically into a 48k spectrum. We are not sure how we have done it, so we assume somebody is helping us up there.
    -For adaptability, we have included for the first time in a Fubete Software's game the option to alter the playing keys.
    -The game is so adictive, we have included an option to force you STOP playing when you eyes start twirling.
    -This is the first game ever that lets you compose the soundtrack.

Non Features:

-The game doesn't let you jump or use your fists. We keep this feature for an eventual remake of the game.

Bugs:

-We don't recognize any bugs in the game. Neither that when you alter the keys nor the other when the pigeon goes too low and the screen scrolls up.

Advices:

-If you have some advice, please send me a PM. I'm particulary interested in obtaining rare technological items for free or dating girls without my wife noticing it.
  • edited February 2013
    This looks absolutely insane.

Will be reviewed on the site in about a week.
  • edited February 2013
    Hey, no jumping the queue! :)
    It certainly does look insane. It seems to have changed from an isometric game to a side scroller in 7 hours too. Wow!
    Did I miss the download?
  • edited February 2013
    Hey, no jumping the queue! :)
    It certainly does look insane. It seems to have changed from an isometric game to a side scroller in 7 hours too. Wow!
    Did I miss the download?

It might be possible that the pictures show in previous post don't correspond literaly with the 100% finished product. In this particular case, we couldn't decide between an isometric or a side view, so our decision was to let the player's imagination create his own perspective.

You know what? I'm thinking that I should have included this sentence in the features.
  • This is truly a golden age for crap games! Not sure if R-Tape would agree though!
  • edited February 2013
    I wanna play Vaticania so bad.
  • edited February 2013
    na_th_an wrote: »
    I wanna play Vaticania so bad.

You're going to be soooo disappointed I'm starting to feel sorry ...

If the hate generated when the game is finally avaible is high enough, I might consider releasing a sequel using fourspriter + better (!) backgrounds.
  • edited February 2013
    I'm sure I'll appreciate it. Sheer crapness is something one grows to fully appreciate!
  • edited February 2013
    na_th_an wrote: »
    I don't wanna play Vaticania, it's so bad.

How did you know?!
  • edited February 2013
    That's my superhero ability.

Btw, just submitted a new one. It's called ENCUERER. Here's the text file and some screens, just as a teaser:

encuerer01.png encuerer02.png

LOKOsoft (a Mojon Twins subsidiary) presents
    *** E N C U E R E R ***

Originally coded in pure BASIC in 1993 for the Sekkrit Tape. Completely lost in the late 90's due to a wet tape (legit!). Recoded in a couple of hours using:
    - Boriel's ZX Basic
    - Mojontwins' Suvleir 3.0

Of course this ended up playing better than the original.

Sorry.

Story:
    You play ENCUERER, the naked flying goddess. Your aim is to win the CUP, and for that you have to survive five waves of nasty bad guys. If you survive, you'll win. But try to achieve a high score, you can kill the guys to earn points. Beat your parents! I mean, get a better score than them!

Features:
    - Incredible fake parallax scrolling!
    - Blinky graphics!
    - Rolling naked women!
    - Awesome vectorial screens!
    - Killer AI!

The game is also adjusted for bad players. Once there's too much happenning on screen, the action will slow down so you have the time to think in your next move. This feature was incredibly hard to code, but players deserve everything!
  • More naked loveliness!