The Official Crap Games Competition 2013 Thread!

Comments

• edited February 2013
    carlsson wrote: »
    I'm such a n00b when it comes to the Speccy that I don't quite know how to include a loading screen even. Not that I'm unable to look it up, just that it never occurred to me to be a natural part of an entry.

I've got a few rough ideas for a game, but am still looking for the ideal combo of two genres that generally turn into good games when implemented separately but risk mashing into crapism if they are merged.
    Kweepa wrote: »
    I don't know either... :(
    Reading through the reviews of the old competitions, it seems loading screens changed from being frowned upon for professionalism, to being desired to highlight how crap the game is compared to the implied promise.
    Obviously there weren't loading screens in Cassette 50, so that's where my thoughts lie. Plus, it takes ages to craft a loading screen, and my games only take a couple of hours to write.

I do not know either and i have searched for info and vids on this,my only (failed) attempt involved messing about with multiple programs in a folder and dos promt which i hate,we really need to find a program that will join a loading screen to a game.
    I reckon the game design pro`s here at wos keep all the info hidden among themselves like some Stonecutter stye cult and you have to pass certain tests and worship a sacred parchment (Sinclair User or something.) to gain the knowledge ;)
  • edited February 2013
    No, we're all too busy programming and just don't have the time to dumb it down enough for the thickies... :lol:

First you need to write a BASIC loader and save it, with a LINE command to auto-run, as a new TAP file.

Then load your screen into the emulator - simplest way to do it without corruption is to CLEAR 32767 then import it at address 32768, then SAVE CODE 32768,6912 to another TAP. If that doesn't work, write a bit of code that does PAUSE 0 then copies the screen memory up to 32768. Run it, and whilst paused, import a saved screen into the emulator, then press a key and wait for it to finish copying. Your screen is now at address 32768 without being corrupted by any system messages. Don't forget that if it's saved from a different address, you must load it with either CODE 16384,6912 or SCREEN$.

Now save your main program (if it's machine code, just the main CODE block) to a third TAP.

Then splice the three TAP files together using the utility that comes alongside ZX Paintbrush. I think at this point you may well be able to edit the CODE data for the screen block, so if it was saved from 32768 you could make it think it needs to load it at 16384.

Of course you could probably gain extra crap points for loading the game first as one chunk of BASIC, then load the SCREEN$ at the end. But I doubt anyone would notice, using emulators. There's a fast-loading trick to the screen in Buzzsaw+ that you'd only appreciate if you were listening to it load.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited February 2013
    I see joefish already posted but I started writing anyway, here is a way (it's slightly different to how I normally do it and untested). It's very handholdy so I hope it's not patronising.
    1-Create your amazing loading screen!  I would recommend ZX Paintbrush, if using then save the file as a .TAP, it will ask for a Header - which is the name that appears Bytes: "HEADER".
    2-Write your crap game!  Save it as a TAP using your normal method.
    3-Now you're ready to put the two together: Write a simple loader, something like:

10 LOAD""SCREEN$:POKE 23739,111:LOAD""

4-The first bit loads your screen of course, the second POKE bit avoids the next loading message overwriting your screen (though if you want this to happen then just miss it out!).  The next bit loads your main game code then starts it.

5-Insert a tape, not sure about other emulators but SPIN does via this tab: Recording>Tape Recording>Insert Tape for saving  then select a blank tape (you can just copy and select overwrite a TAP you already have).

6-In BASIC type Save "loader"LINE 1, press enter - your simple loader is now on the tape.

7-Now for the loading screen: Load your loading screen file you saved in step 1, Type load""CODE 32768 and press enter.  Your loading screen is now saved as 6912 bytes at memory address 32768.

8-Type SAVE""CODE 32768,6912, press enter.  Your loading screen code is now on the tape.

9-Reset your speccy, LOAD your game.

9.5 - Ensure the first line of your program is a CLEAR instruction. This will avoid a lot of possible bugs.

10-SAVE your game (and if you want it to autostart its SAVE"game"LINE1).  The loader, followed by loading screen, followed by the game should now be on the tap.

The eject the tape, and try loading it and see what happens...fingers crossed.

Hope I've not missed anything. NB this is the 'good' method of doing it, I rely on your ingenuity to crappify it :p
  • edited February 2013
    R-Tape wrote: »
    I see joefish already posted but I started writing anyway, here is a way (it's slightly different to how I normally do it and untested). It's very handholdy so I hope it's not patronising.
    1-Create your amazing loading screen!  I would recommend ZX Paintbrush, if using then save the file as a .TAP, it will ask for a Header - which is the name that appears Bytes: "HEADER".
    2-Write your crap game!  Save it as a TAP using your normal method.
    3-Now you're ready to put the two together: Write a simple loader, something like:

10 LOAD""SCREEN$:POKE 23739,111:LOAD"":RUN

4-The first bit loads your screen of course, the second POKE bit avoids the next loading message overwriting your screen (though if you want this to happen then just miss it out!).  The next bit loads your main game code then starts it.

5-Insert a tape, not sure about other emulators but SPIN does via this tab: Recording>Tape Recording>Insert Tape for saving  then select a blank tape (you can just copy and select overwrite a TAP you already have).

6-In BASIC type Save "loader"LINE 1, press enter - your simple loader is now on the tape.

7-Now for the loading screen: Load your loading screen file you saved in step 1, Type load""CODE 32768 and press enter.  Your loading screen is now saved as 6912 bytes at memory address 32768.

8-Type SAVE""CODE 32768,6912, press enter.  Your loading screen code is now on the tape.

9-Reset your speccy, LOAD your game.

8-SAVE your game.  The loader, followed by loading screen, followed by the game should now be on the tap.

The eject the tape, and try loading it and see what happens...fingers crossed.

Hope I've not missed anything. NB this is the 'good' method of doing it, I rely on your ingenuity to crappify it :p

What I do is just saving the screen in .scr mode from ZX Paintbrush or the Screen$ Toolbox in Basin. Then make a loader for the screen and the main program in basin (or include the LOAD "" SCREEN$ in the main basic program). Then I join all the pieces (loader, screen and program) using ZX Blockeditor. Its use is very straightforward, just adding every pice after the other. The only thing to be done manually is composing the SCREEN$ block (as it doesn't include the loader tone by defaul).
    joefish wrote: »
    Of course you could probably gain extra crap points for loading the game first as one chunk of BASIC, then load the SCREEN$ at the end. But I doubt anyone would notice, using emulators.

x8
  • edited February 2013
    Kweepa wrote: »
    I don't know either... :(
    Reading through the reviews of the old competitions, it seems loading screens changed from being frowned upon for professionalism, to being desired to highlight how crap the game is compared to the implied promise.

Hence why I included not only a (crap) loading screen but also encoded the whole thing by Speedlock (via Spin). Hey it's got Speedlock, it must be at least twenty times as good as every game ever released by Ocean/US Gold etc...

as for Screen$, I've always done it this way: type SAVE "screen" SCREEN$ and when the "Start Tape..." message appears, drop the scr into the emulator and then press a key... that way the whole screen gets saved without obliterating the bottom 2 lines. Although you might want to for a truly crap experience.

Never even thought of sticking it elsewhere in memory, but if I had I'd have done it in the following crappy way:

FOR f=16384 to 23296: POKE f+16384, PEEK f: NEXT f
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited February 2013
    Thanks for the pointers on the program/$screen joining guys i am busy copying and pasting the info right now.

PS if there is a wos underground cult can i join?
  • edited February 2013
    There's a simple way, all from BASIn:
    Create loader.bas with the same code as R-Tape (without the RUN):
    10 LOAD "" SCREEN$:POKE 23739,111:LOAD ""

You can use this in multiple projects.

Create the loading screen with the BASIn screen creator and save it as a .bsc.
    Create your game.

In the BASIn tape creator, add all three blocks in order (loader, screen, game) and mark both the loader and game as autostart.
    Save the tape out as a tap or tzx.
  • edited February 2013
    Heres my loading screen, 448 bytes worth that loads in 4 seconds...

Crap or what?

1361477263796.gif
  • edited February 2013
    Crap or what?

definitely "what" :-o
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited February 2013
    Carp! AND "What??"
  • edited February 2013
    Anyone played Gareth Hood? What kind of success rate are you getting?
    jammajup wrote: »

Well there's this exclusive little club.

To gain entry to you have to pass eight and forty challenges, each more fiendish that the last. (Well actually, the only challenge is that you have to succeed at not being Andrew Ryals :razz: )
  • edited February 2013
    jammajup wrote: »

no, but if you ask nicely you can be in the shadowy #spin cabal ;)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited February 2013
    joefish wrote: »
    Of course you could probably gain extra crap points for loading the game first as one chunk of BASIC, then load the SCREEN$ at the end. But I doubt anyone would notice, using emulators.

I'm afraid I felt duty bound to turn edge loader OFF, so I had the joy of exactly this in Apenao's latest entry (indeed as Apenao said....8 screen$ :o).

game1.gif

Vaticania

...and I was right, it is absolutely insane.
  • edited February 2013
    so many craps..
    will no wait deadline of voting, will play to teh games!
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    Anyone played Gareth Hood? What kind of success rate are you getting?

I've not managed to hit anything so I can only assume the game is bugged and therefore crap! Well done!
  • Kweepa wrote: »
    10 LOAD "" SCREEN$:POKE 23739,111:LOAD ""

What does the POKE do?
  • edited February 2013
    Suppresses the "Program: CRAPGAME" prompt you get when loading in the program.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited February 2013
    In fact, as I recently learned somewhere else, it redirects the channel 2 printing routine to a RET, so nothing gets printed.
  • edited February 2013
    Okkaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, another entry in the Papal minicompetition.

game1.gif

Grope the choirboy

I don't think I'll post a hi-score challenge for this one..:o
  • edited February 2013
    I've not managed to hit anything so I can only assume the game is bugged and therefore crap! Well done!

I've managed twice, and apparently if you just miss your can press R which keeps the same angle and power but adjust your position.
  • edited February 2013
    A lovely nude 'em up from LOKOsoft!!

Quite fun to play, and yes at least mildly crap. A nice backstory as this is a revamp of one of those neverplayed symphonies that got lost on a cassette decades ago.

game2.gif

ENCUERER

Dirty boy!
  • edited February 2013
    Sorry for the temporary diverson but:

retry_zps91ec4b5f.gif

This is tremendous fun!

Give it a go, and the one who beats level 5 will get an appropriate accolade in the CGC digest :D.

Anyway - get back to the Lokosoft entry now!
  • edited February 2013
    These compiled basic games are amazing.
    They must have been torture to develop back in the day!
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    I look forward to reviewing your games

Famous last words :D
  • edited February 2013
    crazy_zpsaa1baaf7.jpg

Everything's fine.
  • edited February 2013
    I may have more. Stay tuned.
  • edited February 2013
    Another excellent piece of satire from Kweepa!

game1.gif

Pope Springs Eternal

An exercise in damage limitation.

Next one from na_th_an, one from Kweepa, one from Carlsson (what no cows :-o??!), and one from Kweepa. Thanks for your patience.
  • edited February 2013
    Wow, every second entry from Kweepa?
  • edited February 2013
    carlsson wrote: »
    Wow, every second entry from Kweepa?

Aye the guy is on fire! (at least he will be if he keeps that up over the year :-P)
  • edited February 2013
    The best way to put out your flaming torch is to flood you with crap!
    What else am I going to do with this binbag full of old UDGs?