Computer and Video Games Archive

I'm toying with a project at the moment, and starting to get backing.

Before I continue working on it, it would be good to get feedback from the community, so I will attempt to explain the project :)

Firstly, there will be a complete digital archive of as much software as possible for all systems over 10yrs old.

This archive will be used to create a database website similar to IMDB, as well as very high quality scans of inlays, magazines, etc...

There will be no copyright issues as all copyrighted materials will be approved, and there will be no software to download. The digital backups of the software will be kept off-line.

Secondly, there will be a physical museum, with themed days such as Speccy day, Mario day, Origins day (Turbo Esprit - GTA), etc... This will be open to the public, as well as an education aspect for schools.

It's a not for profit venture, but the running costs are high (for example, the building alone will be over ?20k pa) so there will be minor advertising on the websites, magazines produced for sale, table top books, a shop, etc.. to help try to fund the project.

Any thoughts, comments or questions, whether positive or negative are welcome....
Post edited by Lee Fogarty on
My test signature

Comments

• edited February 2013
    Brilliant idea! It's about time there was something like this, and about time the UK had a decent Video Game Museum too, being that it has such an important history in the development of the industry...

That's partly why I was trying to get more people interested in the Epic Arcade Project too...the more places that celebrate video games and promote learning the history of them the better!

Will be very interested to see how this turns out! Good luck! :)
  • edited February 2013
    As an aside, I would be very grateful if this poll could be posted on other retro forums... It would be wrong of me to join them and start with a poll, so if anyone is willing to do that for me, I can join the forums to answer questions...
    My test signature
  • edited February 2013
    Lee, I would be VERY interested in contributing. You're already aware of what I have done and it goes without saying that my work (yes, I can siphon mine out!) would be freely available for you to do as you please with. What I've been doing for years has been aimed at something like this, pure preservation for the ages, not my crappy website or some vanity project.
  • edited February 2013
    As it is a british museum (if I understood correctly), I dont know if there would be any interest in material from other countries.
  • edited February 2013
    Ivanzx wrote: »
    As it is a british museum (if I understood correctly), I dont know if there would be any interest in material from other countries.

The website part of it will certainly be interested - however due to the initial costs of sourcing the physical library, focus will be on British material (although donations won't be turned away!)
    My test signature
  • edited February 2013
    fogartylee wrote: »
    The website part of it will certainly be interested - however due to the initial costs of sourcing the physical library, focus will be on British material (although donations won't be turned away!)

Have a word with Andy at http://www.retrocomputermuseum.co.uk/ he'll let you know how much hard work it takes.