New game: Funky Fungus

Happy Easter folks! What's better to do during these Spring holidays than playing some new game on our Spectrums? ;-) And lo, here is...

The village of Fungiland has lived in peace for centuries. Long forgotten is the Magic Way of the Spinning Star, a tremendous power used in ancient times as a defensive weapon. But now, a threatening invasion force is approaching. Nobody can challenge it... except for FUNKY FUNGUS!
FF-pic-1.png
Loading screen (concept art/final result)

FUNKY FUNGUS is a jump-and-shoot single-screen platform game for all 128 KB RAM Spectrums, where you, as the eponymous character, must face an army of bizarre creatures led by Seto Taisho, a strange being entirely made of discarded tableware.
FF-pic-2.png
One of the intro screens (concept art/final result)

Features:
  • 41 screens divided into 4 game worlds of 10 screens each, plus 1 for the battle with the final boss
  • 7 different enemies and 1 final boss, all taken from different folkloric traditions of the world
  • 4 'surprises'
  • 4-screens introduction
  • Controls: redefinable keys, Kempston and Sinclair joysticks
  • Game and documentation in 5 languages: Italian, English, German, Spanish and (thanks to Einar Saukas) Portuguese
  • Available versions: TZX (turbo), TAP (ordinary loading), +3 disk image (DSK) and TR-DOS disk image (TRD)

FUNKY FUNGUS has been authored with Arcade Game Designer 3.4 by Jonathan Cauldwell and other programming utilities for the graphic and BASIC part. This is the first multi-level title designed with AGD; each of the worlds the game is made up with is in fact a single program made with that tool.

It is also the first program to make full use of Einar Saukas's "Smart RCS-ZX7" compression algorithm, in its "Agile" variant, for both screens and code.

Core game development started on the 11th of February and ended on the 22nd of March; the following days were dedicated to the localization in languages other than Italian, fine-tuning of the BASIC housekeeping program and to final gameplay testing, on real hardware as well as under emulation.
FF-pic-3.png
Three screens from the first two worlds

A final note: although I thoroughly tested the disk image files on an emulated environment, I cannot guarantee 100% that they will work on real hardware as well because I cannot test them on it (I've got a +3 but no spare Amstrad disks to use).

Remember to carefully read the user manual before playing, please ;-)

Feedback and comments are welcome, as usual :-) Enjoy!

[size=+1]Download it from my website (link at the bottom of the page)[/size]
Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Remember to carefully read the user manual before playing, please ;-)

Well, could You just say instead, what's he supposed to do after eating the star?
    Isn't it supposed to go to the next level?

___________EDIT____________
    Btw, is it still possible to change the "jump" key from "up" into "fire"?
    Doesn't seem to respond to "up" very well (or actually even at all, mostly).
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/
  • edited March 2013
    for some reason the english tap file give an error on the basic loader (2 variable not found, 20:1) yet all other languages work!
  • edited March 2013
    Yerzmyey wrote: »
    Well, could You just say instead, what's he supposed to do after eating the star?
    Isn't it supposed to go to the next level?

Did you actually care to read the instructions?
    In each screen Funky Fungus must collect the Spinning Star in order to acquire its power and attack the enemies

(I assume you are more familiar with English than with the other 4 languages the documentation is available in.)
    Yerzmyey wrote: »
    Btw, is it still possible to change the "jump" key from "up" into "fire"? Doesn't seem to respond to "up" very well (or actually even at all, mostly).
    The game is authored with AGD. If you got problems with it, then I'm afraid you are going to have problems with all other games authored with that tool...

Moreover, "fire" must be used to, er, "fire" - once you have collected the Spinning Star, as clearly stated in the manual:
    fire (activates on collecting the Star)
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    for some reason the english tap file give an error on the basic loader (2 variable not found, 20:1) yet all other languages work!
    Try downloading the ZIP file again.
  • edited March 2013
    Just had a quick go...pretty funky indeed!

Nice work, Alessandro! :)
  • edited March 2013
    Fungus. Sounds like my kind of game. Will have a go. Grazie.
  • edited March 2013
    Aaaargh! I can't even get off the second screen!

Nice use of James Brown's "Funky Drummer" on the opening bit ;)
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks folks!

Please leave your feedback and impressions here. I spent a lot of time (including quite a few sleepless nights!) to create Funky Fungus, putting many efforts and care into it, and would really like to know what do you think about it.
    leespoons wrote: »
    Nice use of James Brown's "Funky Drummer" on the opening bit ;)
    Good to know you recognized it ;)
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for the game Alessandro!

I like the graphics. You obviously have some talent for creating colourful stuff fitting into Spectrum attributes.

As for the gameplay - well, first I wasn't able to complete level 1 :oops:, then I reached level 3. I guess I'm too crap player to play it without savestates, but well, who said I can't use savestates? ;)
  • edited March 2013
    Never failed before but can't get any version to load past first loading screen.

What am I doing wrong?
  • edited March 2013
    I got it, forgot to load in Plus 3 mode.
  • edited March 2013
    Ralf wrote: »
    Thanks for the game Alessandro!
    You're welcome! :)
    I like the graphics. You obviously have some talent for creating colourful stuff fitting into Spectrum attributes.
    Thanks! I think it should reflect the "funkyness" of the main character (well, no connections between mushrooms and psychedelia are intended, actually ;))

I was lately thinking about how a black-grey-white game (like the "Greek Dream" screen in Lost In My Spectrum) could look like. I see Beccy is already experimenting with that with her Metropolis-inspired game and I am curious to see how it will actually turn out.
    As for the gameplay - well, first I wasn't able to complete level 1 :oops:, then I reached level 3. I guess I'm too crap player to play it without savestates, but well, who said I can't use savestates? ;)
    Of course you can :)
    Dazman wrote: »
    I got it, forgot to load in Plus 3 mode.
    The game is in fact, as stated before and in the manual, 128K-only. It uses the 128K and subsequent models "silicon disk" (or "RAM Disk" if you prefer), hence it would not fit into 48K.
  • edited March 2013
    Nice game. But why 128kB only ? I see only 48kB game with 128 basic, true ?

On real ZX spectrum with divide interface can be hard load this game, because divide systems run in USR 0 mode without 128 basic support. If we remove PLAY command then game can be loaded also in USR0 mode. And best will add autodetection of 128 basic or replace PLAY command with GOSUB to basic which access to AY ports (or BEEP on 48kB models).

TRD version - all russian ZX clones use betadisc with TRDOS, but some clones use modified ZX128 rom without 128basic (contain 48rom + custom rom 16kB with monitors,commanders...) and software using only 128 basic here work incorrect. Same problem can be under ESXDOS (support only USR0 mode in TR-DOS).
  • edited March 2013
    velesoft wrote: »
    Nice game. But why 128kB only ? I see only 48kB game with 128 basic, true ?
    Thanks! No, the game would never fit into 48K since it uses the 128K Spectrums internal drive (silicon/RAM disk) to store the various levels and pictures.
    On real ZX spectrum with divide interface can be hard load this game, because divide systems run in USR 0 mode without 128 basic support. If we remove PLAY command then game can be loaded also in USR0 mode. And best will add autodetection of 128 basic or replace PLAY command with GOSUB to basic which access to AY ports (or BEEP on 48kB models).
    Autodetection is possible (I employed it in LIMS and Apulija-13) but I did not consider it this time because the game is 128K-only. As for the AY ports direct access, it is beyond my programming ability, I am afraid :oops: Anyway, if the music is removed, it would make the game less atmospheric.
    TRD version - all russian ZX clones use betadisc with TRDOS, but some clones use modified ZX128 rom without 128basic (contain 48rom + custom rom 16kB with monitors,commanders...) and software using only 128 basic here work incorrect. Same problem can be under ESXDOS (support only USR0 mode in TR-DOS).
    I remember there was a similar problem with the TR-DOS version of Apulija-13, but I also remember that it was overcome someway - by loading it under 128 TR-DOS, perhaps?
  • edited March 2013
    Aaaaaaargh! This is one of those games that I would've probably given up on at the age of 10, unless I had an infinite lives POKE for it.

I'd like to see somebody complete it on a real Spectrum without snapshots...

right, level 2-5 and I can't get past the mutant Horace lookalike on the purple platform... I quit *throws tantrum, loads up Bruce Lee*
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited March 2013
    Fantastic, Alessandro! Congratulations!

I live in Brazil and am very happy to know there's a Portuguese version as well.

:-P
  • edited March 2013
    leespoons wrote: »
    Aaaaaaargh! This is one of those games that I would've probably given up on at the age of 10, unless I had an infinite lives POKE for it.

I'd like to see somebody complete it on a real Spectrum without snapshots...

right, level 2-5 and I can't get past the mutant Horace lookalike on the purple platform... I quit *throws tantrum, loads up Bruce Lee*

Deus Ex has probably already uploaded the RZX!

Great game Alessandro, another very difficult one. I love the backstory and other detail you have put into it. I will probably never complete it but it certainly warrants a lot more tries.
  • edited March 2013
    Thanks for the appreciation words guys.

leespoons: The game has just been released since a few hours and you would like to complete it now? :-P Practice makes perfect ;-) [By the way, the "mutant" thing is called Nuppeppo and is a yokai (a legendary creature from Japanese folklore).]

Garrettimus: Muito obrigado :-) But kudos must go to Einar Saukas for doing such a great job with the translation.

R-Tape: Funky Fungus is actually less difficult than Lost In My Spectrum, and both of them are nowhere near as hard as Jet Set Willy. Back in the day, we were not used to savegames, snapshots and suchlike things, so the only way to complete a game was to stick at it for weeks, months or even years... My games should recreate that good old atmosphere :smile:
  • edited March 2013
    Finished (and enjoyed). :)
    http://www.rzxarchive.co.uk/f.php#funkyfungus

Specially enjoyed the 3rd and 4th episodes, where most of the times all the enemy troup showed up (damn those one-legged Saci Perere's and specially that Baba Yaga chaser!) Rollback was particulary useful sometimes mainly when running out of time.

I found quite interesting (and not a bug at all) the fact that some nasties must be killed in a safe position so that one avoids an unexpected Laughing Skull blocking the way.

Congrats Alessandro, and thanks for this new work.
  • edited March 2013
    I've played through a couple of screens now. Solid little game, nice use of FLASH in some rooms, though garish colours at times but that's no biggie. I also like the nod to Joffa via the title screen design, shades of Firefly. Plus it's cool to have multiple language (to be honest I selected English anyway). However, if I may put forward some criticism - here goes.

I wonder why the screen is so cramped horizontally. I am not familiar with AGD - any particular reason for having such a fairly small play area? To save memory perhaps so more screens fit in? Because I feel the need to constantly jump away from enemies that you are firing at is detrimental to the overall fun factor.

Also, the loading screen - not happy with the very visible attribute boundaries. While I don't think it's necessary to change anything (especially a finished game) but maybe touching up the loading screen wouldn't be a bad idea.

And that's my two cents. Now proceeding towards my coat.
  • edited March 2013
    DeusX, couldn't you just wait a little more before ending the game and/or posting that? You're spoiling everyone's fun :p :lol:
    DeusX wrote: »
    I found quite interesting (and not a bug at all) the fact that some nasties must be killed in a safe position so that one avoids an unexpected Laughing Skull blocking the way.
    In fact it's part of the strategy required to progress within the game, and the random element just spices up the action even more.
    DeusX wrote: »
    Congrats Alessandro, and thanks for this new work.
    You are welcome! Thank you for playing.
  • edited March 2013
    Nice work indeed!
    No one important.
  • edited March 2013
    XTM: Constructive criticism is always welcome; however, may I know why did you choose the English version over the German one? After all the effort I put into that translation... :-(
    XTM of TMG wrote: »
    I wonder why the screen is so cramped horizontally. I am not familiar with AGD - any particular reason for having such a fairly small play area? To save memory perhaps so more screens fit in? Because I feel the need to constantly jump away from enemies that you are firing at is detrimental to the overall fun factor.
    Initial screens are rather small, but when you progress into the game you'll find that the majority of them employ all of the playing area, which is a little more than 2/3 of the whole screen. I also believe that presenting screens which vary in size and shape should make the playing experience more varied and less predictable, and that small screens are more difficult to negotiate than wide ones. Therefore it's a precise game design choice.
    XTM of TMG wrote: »
    Also, the loading screen - not happy with the very visible attribute boundaries. While I don't think it's necessary to change anything (especially a finished game) but maybe touching up the loading screen wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I had to choose between some visible attribute boundaries and sacrificing overall image detail, and I went for the first choice. I reckon the end result could not be appealing to everyone's tastes, but that's the way I prefer it.
    daveykins wrote: »
    Nice work indeed!
    Thanks!
  • edited March 2013
    DeusX, couldn't you just wait a little more before ending the game and/or posting that? You're spoiling everyone's fun :p :lol:

No one is forced to watch it. :)
  • edited March 2013
    This looks like really good fun! Just to prove that I've read the instructions before playing: part of the Spanish section has the title "Il Gioco" instead of "El Juego". Now for a quick play...
  • edited March 2013
    snigfarp wrote: »
    This looks like really good fun! Just to prove that I've read the instructions before playing: part of the Spanish section has the title "Il Gioco" instead of "El Juego".
    Argh, a severe case of bad cut and paste :eek: I will correct the error immediately.

EDIT - The manual has been corrected and the new file sent to the server of my website as well as to the WOS archive. Thanks for pointing this out, but when you have to cope with 5 different languages, a small mistake might well happen. I just hope my Spanish isn't too terrible ;-)
  • edited March 2013
    Pavero wrote: »
    My goodness! One month and a half to put it all together and 12 hours to have both the RZX file and the map ready! No one should ever complain that I create difficult games :p
  • edited March 2013
    love the game, very addictive. the only version I could get to work properly in spin is the .trd version.
  • edited March 2013
    def chris wrote: »
    love the game, very addictive. the only version I could get to work properly in spin is the .trd version.
    Thanks for your appreciation :) but your problem sounds strange to me. I tested the game in its various formats with Spin (v0.7s) with nothing unusual to report. Even more, the TZX (turbo) version was recorded as a virtual WAV tape file with the same emulator.

Could you tell me which problem do you experience, exactly? (Please remember that the game is 128K-only).
  • edited March 2013
    ah yes 128k, now the .tap is working... my fault on that

the tzx version still just gives me what looks like the game loading up (screechy loading noise and border) but never actually loads?