BIFROST* Logo

edited September 2013 in Development
Despite my lack of artistic talent, I decided to design a BIFROST logo, that could be used for either the currently available 18 columns multicolor engine (called BIFROST*) or the upcoming 20 columns multicolor engine (to be called BIFROST? or BIFROST*20 probably). Here's the result:

20fc78.png

My goal was a logo that would work properly on different sizes and colors. The smallest version is only 3 characters wide (24x11 pixels) and can be used at the corner of a loading screen, for instance. The largest version is big enough to have a different color for each row or individual letter without color clashes.

This logo is available for download here. If you create a game using BIFROST*, feel free to use this logo if you want, but that's optional. The BIFROST* license only asks that games created with BIFROST* should mention it any way you want, but it's your choice how to do so.
Post edited by Einar Saukas on
Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    I like the style as a grafic but not so much the colors, although just yellow seems fine.
    Since its about rainbow generator you could perhaps make a bright lineblock for every color ? Then its a bit more smooth and becomes a real rainbow type of logo.
    would a single diagonal bright stripe overall, be difficult ?
    Most effect is horizontal if am right.
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • edited August 2013
    Crisis wrote: »
    I like the style as a grafic

Thanks!
    but not so much the colors, although just yellow seems fine.

The logo images on the right side of my image are extremely colorful. Although it makes sense for the symbol of a multicolor engine, I agree the left side versions are somewhat more "aesthetic". This is the reason I provided both options, so people can choose whatever they like.
    Most effect is horizontal if am right.

Yes, that's intentional. The BIFROST* logo is not multicolor. In practice, the entire multicolor area is typically used for the game itself, and only the "normal" background screen is available to show everything else such as logos and status panels for instance.

If I created a BIFROST* logo in multicolor, I doubt any game would have enough room to exhibit it, even if it looked even better.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited August 2013
    I like the last one, with the multicolor effect, the most, in general I like them a lot, they look retro and very suited to the Spectrum effect they represent ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Despite my lack of artistic talent

Liar :-P
    20fc78.png

Love it! The thought of doing a multicolour game has been cropping up a lot recently. This logo would be a proud addition to any loading/title screen.
  • edited August 2013
    I like the larger version of the logo. Means I can fill the loading screen without adding anything else to it :D
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks, I'm glad you guys liked it!
  • edited August 2013
    love the logo but if poss make it colour scroll (i think thats the right name for it) like on Puzznic
  • edited August 2013
    -- With full apologies for the un-original artwork :lol: --

A couple of variations, seeing as I noticed a certain something was missing:
    3m6oBcc.png

morcar wrote: »
    love the logo but if poss make it colour scroll (i think thats the right name for it) like on Puzznic

Like this? :
    VPx7cMb.gif

Or which way were you thinking?
  • edited August 2013
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    A couple of variations, seeing as I noticed a certain something was missing:
    3m6oBcc.png

This also looks nice!

In the original version, I omitted the asterisk intentionally. The reasoning is that "BIFROST" is the generic name for this series, that will contain 2 engines: BIFROST* for 18 columns and BIFROST? for 20 columns (although the last name is not decided yet).

Of course another reasoning is that I tried creating more specific logos for both engines BIFROST* and BIFROST? but I didn't like the results :)

If you remove the asterisk from your version, I think your variant would look more interesting like this:

2mpgbvt.jpg

Or if you want to keep the asterisk, I could suggest another possible alternative:

2afzh20.jpg

Anyway I'm not "copyrighting" the logo or anything. Everybody is free to use whatever logo variant they prefer! :)
  • edited August 2013
    2afzh20.jpg

is very nice and i see now why i like the first coloring less.
    in this logo the color is more continues then in no1.
    And i like the astrix 'plugged-in'
    I think now, if the color scroll could be a bright scroll combined with above logo, it will give the logo a vivid and alive feeling.
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • edited August 2013
    2afzh20.jpg

is very nice and i see now why i like the first coloring less.
    in this logo the yellow is more continues then in no1 and that makes the whole coloring better for me.
    And i like the astrix 'plugged-in'
    I think now, if the color scroll could be a bright scroll combined with above logo, it will give the logo a vivid and alive feeling.

edit:
    a question about the saved format off above image. The URL is a JPG, 2afzh20.jpg
    but its saved as an PNG , 2afzh20.jpg.png , with a real chr$137+"PNG" header start.
    Is this done by WOS or my browser? Is it still a JPG since its only 638 BYTE big.

(i though i editted but now its double , me again cliking on quote ???)
  • edited August 2013
    Hmmm, odd that Crisis.

I saved the original as a .PNG but I wonder if IMGUR.com converts it on the sly over to .JPG?

EDIT: Errr... are you talking about the pic(s) I posted or Einar?
  • edited August 2013
    2afzh20.jpg

a question about the saved format off above image. The URL is a JPG, 2afzh20.jpg
    but its saved as an PNG , 2afzh20.jpg.png , with a real chr$137+"PNG" header start.
    Is this done by WOS or my browser? Is it still a JPG since its only 638 BYTE big.

It's 638 bytes in PNG format.

The filename extension JPG is incorrect (tinypic's fault). Just download and rename it yourself.
  • edited August 2013
    Personally, I think the the logos just miss the mark for me. Some of them look a bit too....messy...no offence, people.

Anyway, here's my quick attempt. I've not coloured it.

bifrost_logo_zps6aabf292.png

Oh, Einar, I'm currently replying to your email right now!
  • edited August 2013
    redballoon wrote: »

Excellent stuff there!
  • edited August 2013
    Anyway, here's my quick attempt.

This looks great!
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks.

The logo is more symmetrical now and I liked the way the F and the T contains the 'ros' part and whatever the suffix is going to be (either the * or the 2 or anything else) it will lie nicely with the 'bi' part. I just felt it needed tidied up a little.
  • edited August 2013
    ZnorXman wrote: »
    Hmmm, odd that Crisis.

I saved the original as a .PNG but I wonder if IMGUR.com converts it on the sly over to .JPG?

EDIT: Errr... are you talking about the pic(s) I posted or Einar?

I dont know at the moment but Einar did explain it done by tiny-url
  • edited September 2013
    Anyway, here's my quick attempt. I've not coloured it.

Finally here's my attempt to colour the 2 "intermediate size" versions:

2vvu8b6.png

I realize that red and magenta details make it seem too colorful, but I think that's appropriate for the logo of a multicolor engine. Anyway I hope people will like this!