Edge 20th Anniversary

edited September 2013 in Announcements
September sees Edge Magazine hit their 20th Anniversary and to celebrate they've done 20 covers.

Here are covers 6 to 10.

And what do we have for cover 10?

2002-GTA-Vice-City.jpg

*i don't know how well this post is turning out as I'm doing it using my phone!
Post edited by redballoon on

Comments

• edited August 2013
    It looks quite nice, kind of double retro by using an old game with Spectrum graphic limitations applied.

I used to subscribe to Edge for years but gradually got more and more fed up with their daft crusades to make gaming respectable (Games are art! Games are an important story telling medium!). The redesign was pretty bad too.
  • edited August 2013
    I was asked to do a loading screen style image for GTA Vice City for the cover but I wouldn't have been able to have as much detail as I (and Edge) wanted, so i had to compromise. Each panel is a loading screen in it's own right and each can be loaded on real hardware. The borders for each panel also fall into the Spectrum's attributes, so the complete image is correct for the speccy's display.

There was originally a back cover but this got dropped when the flourescent's got introduced.

null_zps9d942a36.png
  • edited August 2013
    Awesome!!!
    redballoon wrote: »
    Each panel is a loading screen in it's own right and each can be loaded on real hardware.

Don't forget to upload all these screens to ZX-Art. This work needs to be preserved!
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited August 2013
    Just got home and see that the cover image is teensy weensy on a desktop!

So, here's a larger version.

edge_front_zps13d01a5a.png
  • edited August 2013
    I wish I could draw that well.

...but if you ever need some deformed stickmen, then I'm yer man. :rolleyes:
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited August 2013
    Awesome stuff! New wine in old bottle never looked so good! ;)
  • edited August 2013
    Completely completely awesome.... :o :o
  • edited August 2013
    Absolutely loved it! Will have to find and buy this issue :)
  • edited August 2013
    introspec wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it! Will have to find and buy this issue :)
    yeah, absolutely must have issue!

Craig, so that is the project you was busy for the last months! Awesome work! A bit clashing brightness squares, but still VERY COOL picture(s)!
  • edited August 2013
    Each panel is a loading screen in it's own right and each can be loaded on real hardware. The borders for each panel also fall into the Spectrum's attributes, so the complete image is correct for the speccy's display.
    panel with a girl is a 198 pixels tall ;) so it is a bit bigger than 192.
    btw can you provide that loading screens?
  • edited August 2013
    diver wrote: »
    yeah, absolutely must have issue!

Craig, so that is the project you was busy for the last months! Awesome work! A bit clashing brightness squares, but still VERY COOL picture(s)!
    Thanks, Aleksey! Much appreciated.

The brightness squares are a stylistic thing for me, especially when it comes to graphic design for print. I see it more of a 'pop art' and I was keen to show it off on the image seeing as it's a cover. I mean, what's one if the major quirks of Soecctrum graphics - it's attribute display! I wanted to hilight that this image is ZX Spectrum graphics, and not just a standard piece of pixel art that could've been done in, say, an Amiga, ST, MS Paint with a limited palette. That's why I don't shy away from it...I embrace it :)

The project I've been working on (with Sokurah) is in it's very final stages now. We're just creating the limited physical cassette and all it's packaging now.
    diver wrote: »
    panel with a girl is a 198 pixels tall ;) so it is a bit bigger than 192.
    btw can you provide that loading screens?
    Hah, well spotted. The extra 6 pixels came from adding in the borders. Because the section of the border for bikini girl extended out from the original loading screen dimensions I just made sure that the extra pixels, like the borders, still followed the attribute display rules. So the original bikini girl loading screen doesn't have that extra bit.

I do have all the loading screens, though outwith the actual part of the image used, it's just plain white with no detail. I'll probably fill in this part of each giving each panel a complete loading screen.
  • edited August 2013
    I do have all the loading screens, though outwith the actual part of the image used, it's just plain white with no detail. I'll probably fill in this part of each giving each panel a complete loading screen.
    so you just need to add GTA VC logo :)
  • edited August 2013
    Reminds me a bit of the screen I did for a CGC game about a year ago. I'm not writing it so if anyone wants to use it, drop me a line.
    557324_406950796019879_1943149177_n.jpg
  • edited August 2013
    aowen wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of the screen I did for a CGC game about a year ago.
    Great title by the way :)
  • edited August 2013
    Fantastic work Craig. Gold stars all round :-)
  • edited August 2013
    aowen wrote: »
    Reminds me a bit of the screen I did for a CGC game about a year ago. I'm not writing it so if anyone wants to use it, drop me a line.
    557324_406950796019879_1943149177_n.jpg

That is really good! It could make a nice game too - you couldn't fit Liberty City into an 8-bit computer, but you could put a supermarket in, with all the lanes and shelves. And you have to fill your trolley with stuff (booze and other expensive stuff that you can flog down the pub, mainly) whilst avoiding the store detectives who chase you (as you're well known to them). Of course you can always knock the store detectives over, but then the more violent detectives appear, and eventually the police. At any time you can steal someone else's trolley, and throw the contents at the guards/coppers, but you have to come back for your own trolley to get it through the tills (without paying, you're no mug :-P) and out into your pimped out car.
  • edited August 2013
    I just wanted to say I like the cover you've done, as well as Andrew's graphics.

(I'm personally not very into GTA but it still looks impressive.)
  • edited August 2013
    Thank you all again.

I've been desperate to get ZX Spectrum graphics more into the public psyche for ages now and being asked to do a cover for Edge was a great honour for me and gave me the chance to do that. Sure, it's still a niche design and I imagine that younger gamers and those outside of the UK and countries not touched by the Spectrum may not "get" it. Still, I've had a lot of positive feedback on the cover and, so far, only 1, and I quote, "[it's] f*****g s**t", which made me do any actual LOL on the train when I read it! Haterz gonna hate. I'd rather that, mind, then nothing at all, so at least I got some reaction! Some may not like what I do or how I do it, but it's not going to stop me doing Spectrum graphics the way I want to do them. "Hey, I was asked to do Spectrum graphics for a cover for a well respected video game magazine....for their 20th Anniversary, no less!" and that makes me bloody proud!
    I'll be honest, as the other covers have been released, I've often felt like Accrington Stanley qualifying for the Champions League.

Oh...and you can buy this issue of Edge tomorrow (in the UK at least) in all good magazine stockists. :)
  • edited August 2013
    Great Job, redballoon, really nice effort!
  • edited August 2013
    , "[it's] f*****g s**t", which made me do any actual LOL

obviously has no idea about colour clash and the speccy pallete then, if they do then I fail to understand the comment as it looks the part
  • edited August 2013
    BiNMaN wrote: »
    obviously has no idea about colour clash and the speccy pallete then, if they do then I fail to understand the comment as it looks the part

I disagree.

Even if someone doesn't know about color clash and thinks it was only a design decision, it's still impossible to dislike this.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited August 2013
    Fantastic stuff.

I actually dislike Grand Theft Auto and would say dislike it from the moral point of view, which is actually very rare for me when thinking about games.

I jusy don't like the idea of playing an evil, immoral gangsta, dislike all these idiots who play it just to go on a rampage and start killing innocent pedestrians and so on...

But this thing is just a marvelous pixelart
  • edited August 2013
    Thank you all once again.
    I arrived home today to find this :
    null_zps06afd40e.jpg
    It was the 1st time I'd seen it in print. I still can't believe it, really!
  • edited August 2013
    FANTASTIC!

It looks great. I'll have to get that one. :)
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited August 2013
    I disagree.

Even if someone doesn't know about color clash and thinks it was only a design decision, it's still impossible to dislike this.

tbh I wanted to say they are a knob but I try to be diplomatic about these things

one outcome is that this has inspired me to try to do a loading screen to get the speccy juices flowing again, which has been sadly lacking of late
  • edited August 2013
    you can buy this issue of Edge tomorrow (in the UK at least) in all good magazine stockists. :)
    And some crap ones.

(C) Viz :)
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited August 2013
    Oh man, I wish I had that one with my subscriber copy as it's completely awesome. I got poxy Halo :-(
  • edited August 2013
    I haven't seen the GTA Vice City cover anywhere in Edinburgh and only a couple of other couples.

I'm curious - would anyone be interested in finding out about the whole creation of [each panel] the image showing key stages and how/why I did certain things the way they are?
  • edited August 2013
    I haven't seen the GTA Vice City cover anywhere in Edinburgh and only a couple of other couples.

I'm curious - would anyone be interested in finding out about the whole creation of [each panel] the image showing key stages and how/why I did certain things the way they are?

yes! goes without saying really :D