New game: Cronopios y Famas

cyf-1b.png

I have the pleasure of announcing the release of my latest game, Cronopios y Famas, a dynamic adventure inspired by Cronopios and Famas, a collection of short stories by Argentine writer Julio Cort?zar (1914-1984). It is meant as an "interactive homage" to this great author.

This is the first full-fledged title authored with the new version of Jonathan Cauldwell's Arcade Game Designer, namely v4.3, and is designed for the 48K Spectrum as well as its Argentine counterparts by Czerweny Electr?nica that mounted common motherboards (mainly issues 4 and 6a) manufactured by Timex Portugal.

The game is based upon several short stories from the fourth section of the book, the one dealing with two peculiar kinds of beings, Cronopios and Famas. They symbolize two opposite and complementary qualities of human existence and are both pervaded by a vein of humor and folly.
cyf-2b.png

Cronopios y Famas is available in both TZX format, for general purpose emulation and loading on real hardware, and TAP for use with the DivIDE.

As usual, please read the enclosed documentation before playing. User manual and game are in six languages: Italian, English, French, German, Spanish and Portuguese.

Should you get stuck, I already sent Gerard at the Tipshop a walkthrough, complete with references to Cort?zar's book, and a spoiler-free map. Both will be added to the website archive at the next update, which should take place around the end of September and the start of October.

Download the game from my website (link at the bottom of the page).

Enjoy it!
Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on

Comments

• edited September 2013
    Looks interesting,i will give this a try later this evening when i find some me time
  • edited September 2013
    The graphics are awesome!!
  • Looks fantastic!
  • edited September 2013
    Very pretty adventure game !

References to Cortazar are beyond my range unfortunately but I hope you don't need now to read 1000 pages of his works to be able to play and understand the game ;)

You really know how to get the best of AGD, Allesandro.
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks guys, hope you will enjoy this little concoction of mine.
    Ralf wrote: »
    References to Cortazar are beyond my range unfortunately but I hope you don't need now to read 1000 pages of his works to be able to play and understand the game ;)

Actually Stories of Cronopios and Famas is a short book; the Italian edition is 142 pages long. This PDF of the Polish translation is just 34 pages long, and the fourth section, where the stories of the two "races" are told, starts (so it seems; unfortunately I don't speak your language) at page 26. You might well be interested in it ;-)

If you understand Spanish you can read the original version here. I was unable to find an online English edition.
  • edited September 2013
    Nice graphics and a very original plot. Good work!
  • edited September 2013
    That looks really good. Nice graphics.
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited September 2013
    I'll be very busy this evening after lunch... :)
  • edited September 2013
    This looks great!

It's nice to see AGD used in ways somewhat different than usual :)
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited September 2013
    Congratulations, Alessandro, the game looks fantastic! :D :p
  • edited September 2013
    Alessandro, great game! As an argentinian, I'm very pleased to see a tribute to a great writer as Cort?zar :-)
  • edited September 2013
    Good work..! Some very nice graphics there and something a bit unusual from an AGD release.

I'm not familiar with the material it's based on but it seems creepily surreal to me... :-o

I managed to light a cooker buy some toothpaste. I tended to blunder into the nasties when I entered new screens, but after a couple of goes I started to get to know where they are and how to avoid them. The diagonally-moving nasties take a bit of practice. I haven't found the secret to restoring my energy yet...
  • Morkin wrote: »
    Good work..! Some very nice graphics there and something a bit unusual from an AGD release.

I'm not familiar with the material it's based on but it seems creepily surreal to me... :-o

I managed to light a cooker buy some toothpaste. I tended to blunder into the nasties when I entered new screens, but after a couple of goes I started to get to know where they are and how to avoid them. The diagonally-moving nasties take a bit of practice. I haven't found the secret to restoring my energy yet...

I'm sure there'll be a hack pack soon!
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks everybody :) Since many of you appreciated the graphics, I feel I must underline that some visual elements are not entirely my creation, but were adapted from other existing Spectrum games, as it is stated in the user manual. E.g. most of the furniture takes inspiration from Crime Busters and Everyone's A Wally; the esperanzas and the nasty bird are modeled after characters seen in Helter Skelter; and so on.
    Hern?n wrote: »
    Alessandro, great game! As an argentinian, I'm very pleased to see a tribute to a great writer as Cort?zar :-)
    :) Actually I was unaware of Cort?zar's works until recently, but after reading some of his short stories I got really hooked, to such an extent that I took inspiration from them for a Spectrum game. An unusual but hearty tribute, that's for sure :D

Since you come from Argentina, you will surely appreciate some of the lines "spoken" by the characters ;)
  • edited September 2013
    Actually Stories of Cronopios and Famas is a short book; the Italian edition is 142 pages long. This PDF of the Polish translation is just 34 pages long, and the fourth section, where the stories of the two "races" are told, starts (so it seems; unfortunately I don't speak your language) at page 26. You might well be interested in it

Hehe, so I have now no excuse, I've to read it :)

Actually my only contact with Cortazar was in my student days through some pretentious, artsy-fartsy girls who after reading it claimed how it is elite, high art, very deep etc. Then I decided it is not for me and lasted till today in this decision :)
  • edited September 2013
    Ralf wrote: »
    Hehe, so I have now no excuse, I've to read it :)

Actually my only contact with Cortazar was in my student days through some pretentious, artsy-fartsy girls who after reading it claimed how it is elite, high art, very deep etc. Then I decided it is not for me and lasted till today in this decision :)

I hope you will change your mind, then :) If one of his most important works inspired a Spectrum game, he must not be so bad as reading matter, or not? :D
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks for this mate, I'm downloading it now.
  • edited September 2013
    Since you come from Argentina, you will surely appreciate some of the lines "spoken" by the characters ;)

It's great! I love the "fileteado" style of the loading and title screens and the playfield border. Also found a mate, but I couldn't took it :D It's very nice :D
  • edited September 2013
    i drop my hat... ;)
    great work, absolutely
    I congratulate to this work.

nice to see that you translate the game to many languages
    where were you thirty years ago:D
    now its time to play, my wife helps in the election, so i have time
    ZX Everyday in Germany
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks again folks!
    Hern?n wrote: »
    I love the "fileteado" style of the loading and title screens and the playfield border.
    I am sure you are familiar with Alfredo Genovese's work: the first two screens you mention are inspired by two of his creations.
    ZX Oxo wrote: »
    nice to see that you translate the game to many languages
    where were you thirty years ago:D
    It helps keeping my Fremdsprachenkenntnis in good shape ;)
  • edited September 2013
    I was actually going to ask "Was this made with AGD?" it really looks like it was done from scratch.

It's quite impressive :)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited September 2013
    Looks super! Can't wait to try this out
    :D
    Gab

EDIT: this is indeed super! Thanks for the effort Ale this is really a great game! (and a powerful demonstration of what can be achieved with AGD...An excellent way to set the bar for all of us gamedesigners wannabe :D)
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • edited September 2013
    Congrats Alessandro!

I think this is my favourite of yours so far, I really like the style and original idea. Like many others here I'm not familiar with the author, but I'm intrigued enough to have bought the book so hopefully the puzzles will make more sense.

I love the 'silly string' thing and the famas' stained hat! It makes me wonder if this game would work even without an energy bar (I've not found the hidden trick yet), that would be even more original!

I'm very impressed with what you and the new AGD can do.

So - how much are you Cronopian and how much Famas :D?
  • edited September 2013
    Thanks mates! I also hope you spot the subtler touches, like a language-related item, or the name of another item, being different in each version; or the words from the "Caminito" song shown, with their music, instead of the bog-standard "game over" message, a hint to another book I really enjoyed, "A Shadow You Soon Will Be" by Osvaldo Soriano.

Those interested in Argentine music will surely have noticed that almost everybody has a portrait of Carlos Gardel hanging on a wall!

Gab: I wanted to try something different this time and opted for a Pyjamarama/Dizzy-styled dynamic adventure. As far as I know I am the only one so far to have followed this path with AGD. CYF is probably the less "arcade" title authored with AGD so far ;)

R-Tape: the scenes you mention are of course inspired to one of Cort?zar's stories about cronopios and famas. The walkthrough I sent Gerard will feature references for all of those I took inspiration from for the game puzzles.
  • edited September 2013
    well done nice to see AGD doing something different. Love the game.
  • edited September 2013
    Alessandro,

Just finished this (without cheating!), wow, what a great game. You need to do more of these cartoon adventure games, you have excelled yourself. Well done mate.

Andy
  • edited September 2013
    Alessandro,

Just finished this (without cheating!), wow, what a great game. You need to do more of these cartoon adventure games, you have excelled yourself. Well done mate.

Andy

Thank you! As you noticed, the game is not very long, it is rather a divertissement of mine in fact; but I believe the atmosphere and unusual setting and source of inspiration can make up for that.
  • edited September 2013
    Always aim for quality, Alessandro, and not quantity.....unless the quantity is of consistently high quality.
  • edited September 2013
    Another excellent game Alessandro, thank you!
    No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • edited September 2013
    jonathan wrote: »
    Another excellent game Alessandro, thank you!
    You are welcome :) but it's me that should thank you for such a great tool as AGD.