Good or horrible: Chronos

edited July 2014 in Games
Yes, I know. That music. Wonderful.

I think that music has kept the game relevant to some degree but the gameplay and graphics... not that good. Kind of went nowhere too.

Mad laser cheatmode at least changed things up a bit but shoot 'em ups with no powerups are never good (see: Xevious).

So. Good or horrible?
Post edited by Bluce_Ree on

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Good! :)
    I?ve finished it without any cheat.
    I like the graphics, even it being monochrome.
    And yeah... that music is awesome!
  • edited July 2014
    Marvellous, in my opinion. Loved this game and lost a serious amount of time to it, either with or without the MegaLaser :)

B
    The Spectrum Resuscitation Thread - bringing dead Spectrums back to life
    zx-diagnostics - Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century (wiki)
    Sinclair FAQ Wiki
  • It's quite well-presented, plays nicely enough and is quite smooth, if a bit slow. I find it pretty boring though as there's no real depth to the gameplay and it gets samey pretty quickly. No powerups, the aliens are pretty generic and have very set patterns. There are a few nice touches like shooting laser housings to allow you to progress but it just feels like a bit of a plod. You don't often need to move left or right and can just inch up and down shooting as necessary.

I had a quick play of it just now and got a bit bored before I'd lost my first life (and that was because I was just moving the ship further to the right to add some interest :grin:)

For a budget game it's ok. I'd probably give it 5-6/10.
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • edited July 2014
    Much prefer the 48K version to the 128K - the in-game music grates after a while and the AY version of the sound effects are far too cheesy.

But it's a fantastic game. Yes there aren't any upgrades, but then there's none of that pointlessness of Gradius games of playing on when you've just lost all your weapons. And there aren't any huge changes in gameplay as you progress, but then it's not an arcade game desparately trying to suddenly spring a screen-filling monster on you to kill you off and milk you for more cash to 'learn its patterns'.

It's one of the few shoot-em-ups around where you actually have a chance of seeing all the levels. I find it like the gaming equivalent of chill-out music - you can just keep playing it; far too many games I get bored of from having to constantly restart as they're just too tough or unfair.

Technically it's great too; smooth scrolling, a wee bit of parallax at the bottom, and never a doubt about the collision detection. Nice gags amongst the background detail too.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited July 2014
    I've heard the music but I've never played the thing! I used to buy a budget game every week or two but this one passed me by, I must've been saving my pennies for Zynaps or Exolon at the time...
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited July 2014
    Bloody awful

Typical cheapo rubbish. Slow, crappy scrolling, monochrome ****e :)
  • edited July 2014
    Didn't find it particularly great, have to admit.

Nothing spectacular for me.
  • edited July 2014
    Just watched the rzx and I suppose its not that bad!

Its just... with that 4 pixel scroll they could have put some bloody colour in, its not a zeddy game!
  • edited July 2014
    Watched a recording? Of Chronos? :confused:

It's not that hard a game to play through a few levels yourself, even on the first few goes. That's what most people actually like about it! You stand a chance of getting somewhere; not like most arcade conversions, or those C64 shoot-em-ups where you only have a couple of enemy sprites on screen but each needs, like, a billion hits before they explode.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • zx1zx1
    edited July 2014
    I've never played it! I just love the music.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited July 2014
    Pretty much average, but hey, it only costed a mere ? 1.99 (or LIT 5,000 as it was priced here), so it was pretty in line with your average budget game I'd say.
  • edited July 2014
    I thought it was damn good for budget.
    I got a bit further on it each go, so it was well balanced gameplay
  • edited July 2014
    Good - Yes, it is plain but all together its ok, somehow. And as a kid, I played it a lot.
  • TMRTMR
    edited July 2014
    Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    Mad laser cheatmode at least changed things up a bit but shoot 'em ups with no powerups are never good (see: Xevious).

i couldn't disagree with this more, see: Ikaruga, Scramble, Uridium, Moon Patrol and many others for further reference.

It's easy to got power-ups badly wrong and Chronos was presumably developed around that time in the mid 1980s when they were only just starting to appear in home computer games; i'd rather have a solid game where the developers started off without power-ups and stuck to their guns (if you'll excuse the pun) than see extra weapons grafted in late in the development cycle when they can't be properly designed for.
    Bluce_Ree wrote: »
    So. Good or horrible?

Chronos is one of the games that always gets loaded up when i'm randomly playing Spectrum games for the fun of it. It isn't the greatest shoot 'em up on the machine of course, but there's some a solid, no frills shoot 'em up action in there accompanied by reasonable graphics and some humourous touches (i don't know about anyone else, but when i was hurling insults at the telly during the ending i was at least smiling). Certainly i've played a lot worse in the genre over the years even at full price.
  • edited July 2014
    I like Chronos. It was a perfectly acceptable and polished little budget game.
    The Tatlocks also did Agent X which was pretty decent too.
  • edited July 2014
    Chronos is a good game, and the Lord God Follins music is still great to listen to - in 128K mode I still maintain it has the most realistic sounding snare drums of any Speccy music produced (samples not included).
  • fogfog
    edited July 2014
    I don't think my memory is playing up , but do recall a bug fixed version that fixed the scrolling.. as it was mentioned in an interview or something and someone here went digging into the code and it turned out the fix made it scroll faster.

I think that might have an impact to peoples views.

it's a nice enough game, it's a budget.. not in the league of c64 kikstart 2, but far from the worst game I have :)
  • edited July 2014
    I thought it was a pretty good game for only ?1.99

Not brilliant, but not rubbish, but a decent playable game that was good value for money at the time.

Jing it baby!
  • zx1zx1
    edited July 2014
    fog wrote: »
    but far from the worst game I have :)

Would the worst game be, Make A Chip?:grin:
  • I just gave this another go. The music is soooooo good. But the jerky scrolling, bland graphics and basic gameplay let it down.
  • Yeah, I don't know where some of the posters said it had smooth scrolling. Sure, we must use lower standards on a machine without hardware scrolling like the Speccy, but personally I draw the line at any scrolling under 25 fps ... 17 is fairly okay, but not really smooth anymore.
  • Definitely Good. I'd have been happy with £1.99 back then. Interestingly it got 55% in issue 41 of Crash, so did most of the other mainstream games (Infamously hard Army Moves got 54%). Even the mighty Saboteur II and Barbarian got 83 and 84%. They must have been on a bit of a downer that month.
  • I think I've wrote about this game before in some other thread but I do like Chronos... Mostly because this is one of the few shoot-em-ups that's not very hard... I think at some point I could just hold fire and win.
  • I just load it for the music - i don't remember playing it!