Childhood games you made up yourself

I'm not sure why, but I was thinking of some childhood games that me and my friends made up when we were about 9 or 10 (so it was during my speccy era but proves that I did do other stuff too!). They were generally games made with toys we already owned but with a few added rules.

Note: the game titles have been created since as we didn't have names for them at the time :grin:

Star Wars Distance Challenge
Line up various Star Wars characters (say about 10) lying on their backs and then flick them forwards from their feet. The figure that goes further gets 10 points, the next 9 etc. We'd then note down the scores in a book. We filled many pages and somehow weren't bothered by the fact that light characters like Yoda always seemed to win and Gamorrean Guards struggled (though they could get good momentum and roll if you flicked them right). This game was the cause of many a battered finger nail but was oddly addictive and satisfied the statto in me. There was a variation on this game which involved them being sent flying down the stairs. Unpopular with my parents.

Space Invader Blocks
Line up big (Duplo-type) blocks in coloured rows (white, yellow, red, blue) and then use marbles to knock them out of the way until you can get to the mothership (basically a lego creation at the back of the block 'guardians). Send a marble through the 'door' of the mothership and you've won.

Car Circuit
Our back garden had a concrete pavement going in a rectangle round our vegetable patch. Line up a bunch of Matchbox (or similar) cars and then flick them (more flicking, it's lucky I never really played Subbuteo!) round the track in turn. The first car that made it all the way round the circuit was the winner. However, the pathway was quite uneven so if a car went onto its roof or side (or out of bounds, into the lettuce) they were out. Note the results down in a book.

Last Army Man Standing
Each player (British or Germans) lined up the little army men figures in strategic formations and then you take turn rolling marbles at each other's troops until none are left upright. It's basically like a cheapo version of Crossbows and Catapults. A soldier hit by a marble but not knocked down (leaning on a comrade or scenery) was known as 'injured' and could be put upright again if he wasn't killed in the next round.

Card House Destruction
I used to own about 30 sets of cards so could make massive card houses. Set up a multi-storied cardhouse and then destroy it by rolling marbles through it. Yes, that's it.

Anybody else have any 'sad' little games they created? :grin:
Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
Cheeky Funster (53)

Comments

• zx1zx1
    edited August 2014
    Me and my brother had game called War which involved us building up loads of cards then knocking them down and that was it!
    Sounds crap but we enjoyed it.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited August 2014
    We used to draw our own board games. Might have seen it on ?why don't you'd

Not as good as screwball scramble. :D
  • edited August 2014
    I used to regularly play a road construction game with my cousin in my grandad's garden when I was 6/7/8 years old. We collectively had quite a few toy trucks and cars etc and we would use spades and our hands to carve out an elaborate road network. We even devised a method of making the road black and shiny and used twigs as streetlights etc.
    Every week my grandad would dig/rake the soil and then next time we were there we would put the roads back again. :D
  • edited August 2014
    Human Pacman, using the lines drawn on the school playground. Age 9

Castleland Roleplaying game. Mainly own rules, with a bit of AD&D Age 12

Persecute the kids who keep coming back for more of a beating. Umm, yeah. Not a great game after all. Sorry! Age 9-13 :S

"V" 3 lads Cycling round the block making whoosh laser sounds and shouting, "It's Donovan!" Age 12-13
  • edited August 2014
    Graz wrote: »
    Human Pacman, using the lines drawn on the school playground. Age 9

OMG! We did that too! :lol:
  • edited August 2014
    played space invaders with marbles, it was a two player game

invented Jenga, except it was just messing about with a few packs of dominoes in a tower

invented free running, except it was just messing about on the rooftops, walls and stairs of a light industrial unit at the back of my house
  • edited August 2014
    When I was about 8 or 9 me and my friend Larry invented a game called viking burial.

First we would buy a box of matches from the newsagent on his estate then walk over the fields picking up some old expanded polystyrene boxes on the way. Then we would follow the railway line down to the river Derwent. Then we would break the polystyrene up to make boats and stick matches in which we would then light and send foating down the river.

We played this game several times over one summer holidays until the day the river bank gave way beneath me when I was tryng to retrieve a boat that had gone out. :o

I managed to scramble out of the water but I was terrified of what I was going to tell my mum!

Larry suggested we light a big fire to dry me out. Failed! used up the remaining matches trying to light the damp wood we gathered on the bank.

Larry's next bright idea was if we stayed really close to the train track as we walked home the wind from the express trains going past would dry my clothes by the time we were home. Fail again, only 2 trains went past and I was (sensibly) too scared to stay close to the track when I heard them coming.

Larry's final suggestion was to tell my mum that some big kids had pushed me in a big puddle when we were playing on the fields.:roll:

I was so fed up with everything by the time I got home I just confessed everything to my mum who was in the middle of doing the laundry. This meant she had a big wooden stick in her hand which she used to poke the washing down into the twin tub washing machine.
    That was the one and only time I ever got a proper beating on the arse from her.

I don't know which upset her the most, playing with matches, tresspasing on the railway or falling in the river. :lol:
  • zx1zx1
    edited August 2014
    Thinking back, i remember at school playing 'table rugby' using a 10p or 50p coin. You had to flip the coin over the post which was someone's hand. It passed the time in registration.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited August 2014
    zx1 wrote: »
    Thinking back, i remember at school playing 'table rugby' using a 10p or 50p coin. You had to flip the coin over the post which was someone's hand. It passed the time in registration.

Ohhhh money bags.

We used to call it penny push. :D
  • edited August 2014
    Used to re-enact the World Cup, but using the cards from Risk. Used the dice to get the scores per game etc...

Had full qualifying from each continent, group and knockout phases! Based on the format of Italy '90.

I seem to recall that Irkutsk where the most successful, errrrr...country.
  • STeaM wrote: »
    Used to re-enact the World Cup, but using the cards from Risk. Used the dice to get the scores per game etc...

Had full qualifying from each continent, group and knockout phases! Based on the format of Italy '90.

I seem to recall that Irkutsk where the most successful, errrrr...country.
    I'm sure they would beat England anyway!
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • edited August 2014
    Card House Destruction

My brother and I played this, except we would drop marbles on the house :grin:
  • edited August 2014
    Basher wrote: »

I don't know which upset her the most, playing with matches, tresspasing on the railway or falling in the river. :lol:

You certainly didn't take notice of your publics information films

http://youtu.be/slJyhOEo-SY

http://youtu.be/ECPSVcxoZPc

http://youtu.be/9HB0HcINjWs
  • edited August 2014
    Graveyard '76.

Basically me and a mate running through the local cemetery pushing gravestones over while singing/yelling "graveyard 76 yeah!"

The crap you do when your 9.

..then there was Graveyard '79....
  • edited August 2014
    Lucky you didnt play interstate 76
    (Rimshot)
  • edited August 2014
    Did anyone else play 'wall-ey' where you had to kick a ball against a wall?

Bit like squash with no racket played with a football.

There was another game called coffin ball (or was it coughing ball) played in a school yard or enclosed area where several players had their own set of goals and the aim was to score enough goals against each other to eliminate them from the game.

I cant find any reference to these games anywhere on the net which makes me think it was only us that played it...
  • edited August 2014
    Yes wall-ey was a game we played if we had nothing else to do.

Some sick person at my school invented a game called Hillsborough where everyone got in a door way and pushed against each other to see how much you could take.

I played it a couple of times but those kids were obsessed with it for months.
  • edited August 2014
    beanz wrote: »
    Graveyard '76.

Basically me and a mate running through the local cemetery pushing gravestones over while singing/yelling "graveyard 76 yeah!"

:lol:
    /me files away CSSCGC entry idea #243...
    Did anyone else play 'wall-ey' where you had to kick a ball against a wall?

Bit like squash with no racket played with a football.

Yep, we played that but we called it 'one touch'.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited August 2014
    I also remember another football variant called 'knockout' (in fact we still play it to this day!), where one person goes in goal and its every man for himself trying to score in an elimination contest.

Penalties are awarded for handballs or 'mooching' round the goal area and not getting stuck in!
  • edited August 2014
    Yes, Wall-Ey was played a lot.
    Three and in too.

Another variation on Wall-Ey was 'Bonehead'.
    One person in 'goals' against the wall - the others had to volley or header the ball to each other, not letting it touch the ground. You had to score either a header or volley (or knee).

We also played 'Rescue' - did anyone ever play that?
    'Rescue '83' etc. If you got captured you went to the enemy base (a tree stump) and then one of your team-mates had to rescue you by evading the other team members and touching the stump and shouting 'rescue '83' (or 84 etc)

We also played another game called 'Maggie Thatcher' which involved a plastic frying pan. I can't remember how it went though!
  • edited August 2014
    'Rescue '83' etc. If you got captured you went to the enemy base (a tree stump) and then one of your team-mates had to rescue you by evading the other team members and touching the stump and shouting 'rescue '83' (or 84 etc)

Sounds similar to '45 and out' (or 40-40 home) - one person would be 'it' count to 45 while everyone else hid, then they'd have to find everyone but had to go back to base to make someone a 'prisoner'. If someone got to home without being captured they'd release all the prisoners. Whoever got caught last would become 'it'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_forty
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • edited August 2014
    leespoons wrote: »
    Sounds similar to '45 and out' (or 40-40 home) - one person would be 'it' count to 45 while everyone else hid, then they'd have to find everyone but had to go back to base to make someone a 'prisoner'. If someone got to home without being captured they'd release all the prisoners. Whoever got caught last would become 'it'.

Hehe, I played something similar when I was a child, cool game!
  • edited August 2014
    Yes, Wall-Ey was played a lot.
    Three and in too.

Another variation on Wall-Ey was 'Bonehead'.
    One person in 'goals' against the wall - the others had to volley or header the ball to each other, not letting it touch the ground. You had to score either a header or volley (or knee).

We also played another game called 'Maggie Thatcher' which involved a plastic frying pan. I can't remember how it went though!

Bonehead sounds like 'headers and volleys'

Rescue 83 sounds like 'tally ho'...

During games of tally ho I'd sneak off home and play some Spectrum games whilst the others tried to hunt me down only to reappear a couple of hours later...
  • edited August 2014
    leespoons wrote: »

We called that "Manhunt", but we had two teams - a team of "runners" and a team of "hunters" (who'd also have a "warden" to guard the base). Used to love playing that, but it got a bit silly when we were in the last few years of high school and used to just disappear off to MacDonalds for the whole lunch break if we were on the "running" team that day. :-D

Anyone here play "Pat-ball" at school?
  • edited August 2014
    Best games were the ones that created mischief...

'Knock and run' against the local psychopaths always got the adrenaline pumping, in the winter we used to prepare sheets of ice on the pavement so the chasing adults would come a cropper!

We called one of the victims 'rocket slippers' because of his speed and choice of footwear!

I still laugh to this day about it! :lol
  • edited August 2014
    I used the annual Shoot League Ladders to run my own Football league. Using a dice and a list of teams one could thrill to Tranmere 6 - 6 Liverpool. The fixtures were a little unfairly organised but strange how one team would normally run away with it and one would be on the bottom adrift. I'm sure the maths were quite interesting.

My favourite though was Miss World, played with a pack of semi-naughty playing cards I found in my dads' drawer. Nothing too graphic you understand - tits and bums. Each lady played against one another until I had reduced the field (not easy with 52 so I sifted the four ugliest out every game). The ladies were chosen on the sexists grounds of did I fancy them or not.

Then computers came along and I lost the ability to have an imagination.
  • edited August 2014
    mile wrote: »
    Ohhhh money bags.
    We used to call it penny push. :D
    Clearly we were middle-class then in using a 2p coin!

First task was to shove it across a table top so that it just ovehung the far edge, so that you could then flip it into the air and try and catch it. Then you held it between your thumbs in the middle of the table and try and launch it between a goal the other player makes with their hands.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited August 2014
    I made up a similar game to play with my little brother and his Micro Machines. A mix of shove-ha'penny and billiards. You each place your tiny car at either end of a VHS cassette box, and you take it in turns to go first. The aim is to shove your car to bump the other player's car and knock it off the box - which wins you a point - but if your car follows it off the edge, your opponent gets the point.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited August 2014
    joefish wrote: »
    Clearly we were middle-class then in using a 2p coin!

First task was to shove it across a table top so that it just ovehung the far edge, so that you could then flip it into the air and try and catch it. Then you held it between your thumbs in the middle of the table and try and launch it between a goal the other player makes with their hands.

We played that too - except we used a 10 pence piece (sometimes a 2p piece)!
    10p was better because it was heavier.

We called it '10p football' or '2p football'.
    Ahh good times.:-)
  • edited August 2014
    joefish wrote: »
    I made up a similar game to play with my little brother and his Micro Machines. A mix of shove-ha'penny and billiards. You each place your tiny car at either end of a VHS cassette box, and you take it in turns to go first. The aim is to shove your car to bump the other player's car and knock it off the box - which wins you a point - but if your car follows it off the edge, your opponent gets the point.

That reminds me, we got about 20 matchbox cars and played 'The smashing game'

each person gets to push a car forward each turn

you smash your car into the opponents

if the car turns all the way on its back it is dead

if the car turns on its side it can be knocked back by a friendly car