What is the Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega and what does it mean?

Just stumbled upon this Indiegogo page following a tweet from SpeccyNews

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega

it's blowing my mind a little - the video advert is nicely done -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CN8aDkgqHn4

but if it's funded and successful does this mean people writing software for the Speccy today have a new machine to write for?

What does it mean for WoS?

Basically - what does it mean!?
Post edited by President Scree on

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hmmm. I have to admit I don't like it. Actually I don't like consoles at all. They make a soap of teenagers' brains.

Another thing would be a hand-held ZX console, heh. ;) A portable machine. ;)
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/
  • edited December 2014
    What a load of ****e.

?100 for a crappy 9 button piece of tat? It almost makes the Elite Systems Kickstarter look good.
  • edited December 2014
    Also I would like to know whether they paid money to Gasman, for using his music in their advertisement.
    Or does he even know about the fact.
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/
  • edited December 2014
    I am having hard time to believe that Clive Sinclair himself http://www.retro-computers.co.uk/who-we-are/ would like to have anything to do with a cheap and sad 3D printer outcome http://www.retro-computers.co.uk/products/

They could have restored the COMPUTER.

Instead they CASTRATED it.

Not even surgically, to be honest. It is just crude.
    ZX Spectrum 48K BEEPER Music:
    http://mister_beep.republika.pl/
  • edited December 2014
    Wow, this has come out of the blue!

It's excellent that the games will be free, and that some of the proceeds will go to charity. Also, great that Sir Clive is on board.

I doubt they'll sell it for ?100 though, will they? That's one of the pledges, but not the final price point.

I wish them well, but I'm not interested in buying one myself, as I don't see the point in getting a Speccy with no keyboard.
  • edited December 2014
    " Capable of playing all Sinclair Spectrum games "

Two words: Text adventures.

Something about all this doesn't smell too nice, maybe I'm just cynical.

Edit:
    I see Chris Smith appears to be on board with this, which makes it all smell a bit sweeter.
  • edited December 2014
    Prior art:

spectrumjoypad.gif

I'd pay good money for that.

D.
  • edited December 2014
    Did I miss Christmas? Is it April 1st already?
  • edited December 2014
    I think it's a shame that it's just an ARM SoC, when I saw Chris was involved I assumed it was finally the Spectrastick seeing the light of day but alas not.

Oh well, it should at least be a better legacy for the speccy than the bloody E-m@iler phone! :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited December 2014
    I can see what they're trying to do, but I think most of their potential backers would prefer a full keyboard setup, with optional console type joysticks you could plug in...that's certainly what I would prefer! :)
  • edited December 2014
    Why is it composite out and not HDMI?
    How do you play two player games like Spy v Spy?
    How would I play complex keyboard games like Lords of Midnight & Elite?

Until I saw the SoC, I thought for a moment it was a Raspberry pi running a bare metal emulator, in a box with a few buttons connected to the GPIO. That would be cheaper, store more games and would have HDMI output, and could potentially with some work play two players games via the NIC...

They could have done it so much better :(

On the plus side my Toast Rack "console" has another 30 years life :)

Edit:
    It reminds me of this: https://www.paramountzone.com/atari.htm except that is a quarter of the price and has ALL the buttons of the original....

Sob :(
  • edited December 2014
    Looks pretty good to me, I'm in.
  • edited December 2014
    deadpan666 wrote: »
    I can see what they're trying to do, but I think most of their potential backers would prefer a full keyboard setup, with optional console type joysticks you could plug in...that's certainly what I would prefer! :)

To repost what I said on facebook earlier:
    The whole purpose of it is to be a handheld controller though... If you want to start plugging keyboards and things in then just get a black raspberry pi case and paint rainbow stripes on it...
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited December 2014
    Yeah, looks pretty sweet to me. And looking at the people involved, this seems to have a good chance of actually becoming a proper, tangible, product unlike that farcical Elite Systems keyboard thingummy.

Hopefully it will find a market beyond the initial indigogo 1000 units, as they will all go to existing speccy geeks like us, no doubt. If it manages to get a bit of wider appeal it could even bring in a few people to the wonderful world of speccy games playing. We can but hope!
  • edited December 2014
    guesser wrote: »

I appreciate Sinclair want to endorse their own product and not a joystick but it's not much different from the C64 Direct-to-TV:

Commodore64_DTV_mugshot-x600.jpg
  • edited December 2014
    Korinel wrote: »
    I appreciate Sinclair want to endorse their own product and not a joystick but it's not much different from the C64 Direct-to-TV

Hmm, it is quite different really. The DTV64 was an actual hardware C64 on an ASIC. Like Chris' Spectrastick is/would have been.

EDIT: I should say it's quite different for us speccy geeks who would want to hack it! For the regular casually nostalgic consumer it is very much the same idea yes!
  • edited December 2014

Yeah, I get that..I just think a lot of people would prefer a keyboard setup rather than a plug-n-play type joystick...although that would make the whole thing a bit pointless other than it being some newly built hardware to replace old Speccys......

But if they're trying to encourage new users instead of just us old Speccy types, I think any new people would be missing out on a lot of great games if they could only use the joypad! And a keyboard might encourage any youngsters that get their hands on it to try a bit of programming! If there's a way to plug in a USB keyboard or something, then fine!

Something else to point out is that most plug-n-play joysticks sell for between ?10-?35, and there's been no talk of how much the thing will cost once the initial batch from Indiegogo are gone at ?100 each...although I do think that you're paying a bit more for the Limited Edition ones obviously! Hopefully they can get the price down to ?50 or less once it's in proper production...but there definitely needs to be a few more details to help people make up their minds...

Speaking of which, I've not really made my mind up about it yet! The idea is sound, but I'd still prefer a proper Speccy-type thing. Judging by the initial response on Indiegogo though, it'll probably get made anyway...it's shot up by about ?1100 since I first looked at it! :)

*Just seen aowen say on Facebook that text can be entered via an onscreen keyboard...okay in theory, but in practice most people HATE onscreen keyboards! Well I do anyway, and obviously I represent most people....:D Still, better than nothing I suppose! *
  • edited December 2014
    I'm wouldn't be worried about not being able to type on the thing. It has 1000 games included and obviously they have all been selected and configured specifically to work out-of-the-box with this bastardized Spectrum product. I'm sure it does exactly what it's supposed to do - and perfectly too.

I'm not really "impressed" by having Sinclair "onboard" though as I'm sure Sir Clive doesn't really give a **** about the Spectrum these days - if someone has a suggestion and promises Sinclair Ltd (or whoever) a cut of the profits - and they doesn't to spend a single Pence themselves - then I'm sure they're game.

Overall I think it's a terrible idea. Well, for me anyway. Everything it does I can do in front of my computer - I just don't feel the need to play Spectrum games on my big-screen tv.

I wouldn't even want it for half the asking price. Today I spent ?10 on a crate of Christmas beer, which I took down to my local bike shop and said "Merry Christmas - enjoy". I didn't have to - but I always get such good service down there that I wanted to give them something back in return and I think I'd rather do that a handful of times - making people happy - than to spend the same amount of money on yet another gadget that I'll most likely only play around with a couple of times and then have it sit in a drawer until the end of time. But of course - different people have different levels of ..."needs".

Oh, and there's this too;
    This campaign will receive all funds raised even if it does not reach its goal.

...clearly they're asking for more than they need.

I'm sorry Chris. I hope you're successful...but it's not for me.
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited December 2014
    Sokurah wrote: »
    I'm not really "impressed" by having Sinclair "onboard" though as I'm sure Sir Clive doesn't really give a **** about the Spectrum these days - if someone has a suggestion and promises Sinclair Ltd (or whoever) a cut of the profits - and they doesn't to spend a single Pence themselves - then I'm sure they're game.

It sounded to me from the video more like his friend ground him down over a period of several years until he finally gave in :lol:

;)
  • edited December 2014
    deadpan666 wrote: »
    But if they're trying to encourage new users instead of just us old Speccy types, I think any new people would be missing out on a lot of great games if they could only use the joypad! And a keyboard might encourage any youngsters that get their hands on it to try a bit of programming! If there's a way to plug in a USB keyboard or something, then fine!

I'm assuming it's aimed at casual nostalgic ex speccy owners who want to play the games they remember.
    Some die hard fanatics on here will buy one despite already having original hardware because they collect everything that says Sinclair on it, but my assumption is that they're banking on there being lots of people who just want to play some manic miner or whatever on their TV.
  • edited December 2014
    One. Hundred. Pounds. Exclamation.
  • edited December 2014
    If it sells well they may want to develop a keyboard interface.
    Dunny's design looks far better. I guess this one intends to remind people of a rubber speccy.
  • edited December 2014
    Sokurah wrote: »
    I'm sorry Chris. I hope you're successful...but it's not for me.

Ditto, I wish everyone involved the greatest success. It's just clearly not a product aimed at someone like me who doesn't really play games (or use consoles for that matter)
  • edited December 2014
    Ditto, I wish everyone involved the greatest success. It's just clearly not a product aimed at someone like me who doesn't really play games (or use consoles for that matter)

Agreed :)

Also worth pointing out, according to Andrew it appears that BSkyB are happy to continue granting the use of the ROM for emulation, under the same terms as originally granted by Amstrad :)

B
    The Spectrum Resuscitation Thread - bringing dead Spectrums back to life
    zx-diagnostics - Fixing ZX Spectrums in the 21st Century (wiki)
    Sinclair FAQ Wiki
  • edited December 2014
    hikoki wrote: »
    If it sells well they may want to develop a keyboard interface.
    Dunny's design looks far better.
    That design is from my old pal, Uncle Clive. It's years old!
    Likewise about it working out for them but I'll not be bothering. The price tag is eye watering regardless of the number of games that come with it.
    You've got your Nintendo Wii U with 4 games, 2 of them arguably the finest games this gen, all for ?199. Oh only 4 games and the cost of others? I love the ZX Spectrum, but just can't compare a large number of collected Spectrum games to the likes of Mario Kart 8 or Super Mario 3D World.
    Even an XBox 360 goes for less than ?100 these days and the games are now dirt cheap thanks the newer gen consoles.
  • edited December 2014
    redballoon wrote: »
    The price tag is eye watering regardless of the number of games that come with it.
    Think you're really paying to be "a part" of the initial development and funding process by contributing via IndieGoGo. I assume if it becomes a proper commercial product in the future, it will be significantly less than ?100 to buy.
  • edited December 2014
    I've just seen this on Twitter and though I'll admit that I haven't read the article thoroughly, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it looks an absolute b*llock imho.
  • edited December 2014
    I see the potential, but not at that price, and definitely not with just composite video output(?!?).

/Pedro
  • edited December 2014
    I don't see the difference between this and a Raspberry Pi with a Bare Metal emulator. The last one only costs $20.
  • edited December 2014
    On second thoughts and having seen the actual small size on the video, the design looks good and iconic. *err maybe not the stripe*
    I wonder if it will accept an external keyboard and spectranet.

vega.png