Spectrum Vega Media Reviews (Good & Bad)

Post edited by sj_howlett on

Comments

• edited December 2014
    sj_howlett wrote: »
    Good:

Bad:

The Register

I didn't find it a negative review but a rather balanced opinion piece pointing out the obvious drawbacks ATM.
  • edited December 2014
    Arjun wrote: »
    I didn't find it a negative review but a rather balanced opinion piece pointing out the obvious drawbacks ATM.
    I didn't find it negative either, which part was supposed to be negative?
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited December 2014
    The title of the piece is rather negative don't you think?

"Sinclair is back with the Spectrum Vega ... just as rubbish as the ZX
    Something a little sad about Sir Clive revisiting his old hit"

Also the conclusion "As for the kit itself, one reporter's rubbish..." doesn't end on a great note.

I don't think the reporter was either a fan or owner of the original Speccy.
  • edited December 2014
    sj_howlett wrote: »
    I don't think the reporter was either a fan or owner of the original Speccy.

Yep the author of that review certainly doesn't sound a fan of the speccy look!
    OK, you get 1,000 games – but they look like this...

• edited December 2014
    I'm actually getting excited about it now. Yes, I hate the design, but so what... I'm having one!

Love the Metro review btw. :)
  • edited December 2014
    The Register reporter Simon Rockman was editor of Amstrad User, no wonder he is so sneering about the Spectrum.

He's only jealous nobody has any affection for the over-priced box of rubbish he used to use!
  • edited December 2014
    Can somebody explain the point of the Vega to me? Apart from the novelty factor (and brand loyalty)

I'm running Spectaculator on my laptop hooked up to my 42" LED, and I have a retro joystick adaptor (i'd recommend one of these to everyone !)

Is it designed for the non techy, no patience for emulator, play a few times then stuff in a cupboard crowd?
  • edited December 2014
    Can somebody explain the point of the Vega to me?

If its priced and marketed right people will buy it and the Retro Computers gang get rich, that's the real point.

A neatly packaged device for ?30-50 boasting the Sinclair logo and a 1000 games will fly off the shelves (especially this time of year), most destined for the cupboard as you say though.

Good luck to them, a nice pocket sized device that loads Spectrum games instantly from SD is just what the doctor ordered as far as I'm concerned.

I can now make some games taking the p*ss out of my mates and play it on their tellys in front of them!
  • edited January 2015
    @ This point, an acceptably priced FPGA board will provide much more value to 'serious' retro gaming enthousiasts. A single board able to run multiple retro systems, but also a wide variety of digital logic / electronics projects. Infinitely upgradeable / hackable, easy to hook up peripherals, including ones that aren't supported out of the box. I'm thinking of Speccy2010, V6Z80P+ (Retroleum), FPGA Arcade, the Mist board, Altera DE0/DE1, etc, etc - many more will follow.

Imho the ZX Spectrum Vega is not a ZX Spectrum, simply because it can't do a lot of things a real ZX Spectrum can. You can't hook up ZX Spectrum peripherals, you can't type in BASIC listings on a real keyboard, you can't load programs from tape, etc. That it runs virtually all ZX Spectrum software is no excuse: the same holds true for an emulator.

That said:
    A neatly packaged device for ?30-50 boasting the Sinclair logo and a 1000 games will fly off the shelves (especially this time of year), most destined for the cupboard as you say though.
    2nd that. This is obviously targeted at casual gamers that buy it cheap, hook it up to nearest TV and have a go at some old classics. And who (for the most part) have ZERO interest in learning what a ZX Spectrum is about, dabbling in BASIC, hacking the hardware, coding their own games or whatever. Loading up a few games outside what's included, is the furthest they'll go. Simply another console, with an old but vast library of games to play.

But note: that target audience is a way, waaaayyy bigger group than us here on WoS.

Anyway, I wish Chris Smith & co. all the success in the world. For one, for the effort put in. For another, because it'll show people what was done back in the 80's, and that you don't need a multi-GHz machine to have some gaming fun. I'll probably pick one up too, just for the heck of it (once prices have come down ;) ).
  • edited January 2015
    I think I'll reserve judgment until I hear what Stu Ashens has to say about it ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited January 2015

Imho the ZX Spectrum Vega is not a ZX Spectrum, simply because it can't do a lot of things a real ZX Spectrum can. You can't hook up ZX Spectrum peripherals, you can't type in BASIC listings on a real keyboard, you can't load programs from tape, etc. That it runs virtually all ZX Spectrum software is no excuse: the same holds true for an emulator.

A few folk here have bemoaned the fact the Vega can't be used for programming. TBH, although Speccy Basic was great BITD, I reckon it would be a terrible introduction to programming for youngsters these days. The results are far too limited. They'd be better off with a Pi or a PC for that.
    That said:

...I agree with your conclusions.
  • edited January 2015
    Muig wrote: »
    although Speccy Basic was great BITD, I reckon it would be a terrible introduction to programming for youngsters these days.
    Agree 100%. If you have kids & would like them to get into programming, better throw 'em a Raspberry Pi with something like PyGame ready-to-run.
  • edited January 2015
    The target audience is people who want to play the classic Ultimate, Ocean and Codemasters games. Do you reckon the company have any chance at all of getting the rights to those?
  • edited January 2015
    if you could plug a usb keyboard into it, it would be good