Computer and Video Games closes

edited December 2014 in Chit chat
It's been on the cards for a while, but it really is over for a once great ambassador for all things Sinclair related.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/483033/features/messages-from-the-editors/

I pretty much stopped buying the magazine once I found Crash and Your Sinclair, but it was a great mag for the neutral.

Shame.
Post edited by sj_howlett on

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I'd heard about the potential closure earlier this year but hoped they would be able to sell the name on and let it continue. For the oldest videogaming publication in existence to close its doors is a sad day for videogaming.

For me, it was the first computer mag I ever purchased - IIRC C64 Ghostbusters was the Game Of The Month, so that shows how long ago that was. A few months later (Oct 85) I graduated to Crash and didn't purchase another C&VG until 1999/2000 when they did the readers vote Top 100 Games of All Time. I still have that copy somewhere. (Goldeneye won it and criminally Manic Miner was the only Speccy game in the 100 - at 100).
  • edited December 2014
    To me it was the second mag to crash.

I bought crash every month, but c&vg got was bought for holiday or long journey in the car.

Rip
  • zx1zx1
    edited December 2014
    I didn't even know it was still in existence, it certainly lasted a long time.
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • edited December 2014
    I used to read C+VG before I even got my Speccy, my cousin used to buy it way back when he had his Commode. He liked his Commode so much that he took it apart one day, and then never bothered to reassemble it :lol:

But anyway, yup sad to see it go, even though I haven't bought a copy of it since about 1994.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2014
    Three words - Thompson Twins.

I'll remember CVG for that, and perhaps one or two other aspects. :-)

CVG probably put them on the music map.

Really enjoyed the multi-format and seeing games on the other machines, which is why I can never be a fanatical for one machine (except in a jokey way). Very important back in the day - put off the war of the machines by at least a generation. I still have a sellotaped-up copy somewhere. Does anyone remember if this was a poster or just a picture in the magazine?

20101003-g8bgdkp2qiibhfmyqbiiycskxf.jpg
  • edited December 2014
    He liked his Commode so much that he took it apart one day, and then never bothered to reassemble it :lol:

LOL

Has he ever owned a corgi trouser press?
  • edited December 2014
    dmsmith wrote: »
    LOL

Has he ever owned a corgi trouser press?

He has not, but I'm sure if he did, he would not be able to put it back together again :lol:

Might require a phonecall to somebody who might know how to ;)
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2014
    dmsmith wrote: »

Oh I knew what you meant ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Haven't read it for a long time, once bunked off work and got a train to London to play a coin-op of Chase HQ when the first review came out
  • edited December 2014
    first ever games magazine was the october 1985 issue
    i read it in my dad's allotment
    it was a nice and sunny day
  • edited December 2014
    To be fair the magazine died years ago, an online edition isn't really a magazine or perhaps that's just me showing my age...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited December 2014
    thx1138 wrote: »
    Haven't read it for a long time, once bunked off work and got a train to London to play a coin-op of Chase HQ when the first review came out

I first read that as bunked of (school) to play a game

bunked off work and got a train:lol:

sounds like Playtime Fontayne from Viz!
  • edited December 2014
    karingal wrote: »
    To be fair the magazine died years ago, an online edition isn't really a magazine or perhaps that's just me showing my age...

I think I agree with this tbh, although it was good to see the brand continue. My first issue was April '85 and I got it every month till around '88 when I stopped buying most magazines for a while, although I rarely bought C&VG after that.
  • edited December 2014
    karingal wrote: »

It moved to the internet because it's the only way certain magazines can survive.

Sorry. I said "IT'S MOVED TO THE INTERNET. YES IT'S LIKE TV YOU CAN TALK TO. IT'S THE THING WITH THE CAT VIDEOS."
    My test signature
  • edited December 2014
    Didn't realise it was living on in on-line form. I remembering it tended to nick ideas from Newsfield bitd. Copying Zzap64's diary of a game idea for example.
  • edited December 2014
    fogartylee wrote: »
    It moved to the internet because it's the only way certain magazines can survive.

Sorry. I said "IT'S MOVED TO THE INTERNET. YES IT'S LIKE TV YOU CAN TALK TO. IT'S THE THING WITH THE CAT VIDEOS."
    What a bizarre post...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited December 2014
    weesam wrote: »
    I first read that as bunked of (school) to play a game

bunked off work and got a train:lol:

sounds like Playtime Fontayne from Viz!

I was only 17 though, and I worked for the dole office.
  • edited December 2014
    I agree died a long time ago, mags throughout the eighties were pretty good but downhill from there I'm afraid...
  • edited December 2014
    Even I stopped buying it, certainly towards the end of it's life. The only games magazine I buy now is Retro Gamer and I like to read Games Master still as I find it a good way of finding out about new games coming up and it's good for picking up for a quick five minutes on the loo. I don't use games related web sites like IGN etc because they're usually so full of adverts that actually reading anything, never mind watching the clips they might have, can be a real pain most of the time. I only visit them if I want to read a specific piece really.

C+VG has been online only for years (as has been mentioned), but I think in all that time, it's only come up on 3 or 4 google searches for any games I've searched for, so it's not a site that a lot of people have been heading for, so I'm not surprised to see it's going.

It was a brilliant read back in the day though and my go to magazine for multi-format games. Their "scoop" on Afterburner was the first time I'd ever heard of the Megadrive for example.