The best ZX Spectrum emulators

edited May 2015 in Emulators
It's been suggested we add a sticky thread where people can recommend their favourite emulators.

A couple of rules.

1. Don't just nominate your favourite, say why. List it's good points and why you prefer it.

2. Make sure you mention the platform it runs on, not everyone use M$.
Post edited by Lee Fogarty on
I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...

Comments

• edited January 2015
    ZXDS for Nintendo DS. Simply the best portable emulator experience to be had.

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist :)).

Patrik
  • edited January 2015
    Patrik Rak wrote: »

Patrik
    If you hadn't done it Patrik then I would have...

Erm...

Spud, the best PC emulator experience to be had.

(Apart from Spin, SpecEmu, Spectaculator, Fuse...)
  • edited January 2015
    FUSE on the OpenPandora. Simply the best portable emulator experience to be had.

Because it has an actual physical keyboard :)

D.
  • edited January 2015
    How about a link to where the latest (or preferred) version can be found? Otherwise it's pointless making the thread sticky as it's useless as a reference.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • edited January 2015
    Fuse. Simply the best multi-platform emulator to be had

Because it emulates the Spectranet :)
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • edited January 2015
    ZXSpin as Freeware for Windows. I love this because it supports all the models, has Microdrive support and has a built in Assembler. The other plus is the Keyboard helper which lets you type in commands in plain text and send them to the emulated Spectrum.

Spectaculator as a paid for solution is also very good indeed. It supports many add on board which were popular at the time. The only thing it lacks for me is the Keyboard Helper.

Peter
  • edited January 2015
  • edited January 2015
    Fuse on OS X

Unreal Speccy v0.37.0 on Windows, purely for the Turbo Sound FM emulation.

Please add Turbo Sound FM emulation to Fuse Philip Kendall!!!!
  • edited January 2015
    Patrik Rak wrote: »

Patrik

I second that. I'm even preparing to buy DS XL for better experience.
    Finished Manic Miner sitting in a toilet today using ZXDS!

Best compatibility, really great UI and somehow delivers 'true experience'.
  • edited January 2015
    Maziacs wrote: »
    I second that. I'm even preparing to buy DS XL for better experience.
    Finished Manic Miner sitting in a toilet today using ZXDS!

Ouch! All 20 levels? No wonder there have been queues for the loo.
  • edited January 2015
    joefish wrote: »
    How about a link to where the latest (or preferred) version can be found? Otherwise it's pointless making the thread sticky as it's useless as a reference.
    Excellent point. I'll collate a list of links.
  • edited January 2015
    I use emulators for the original XBox, PSP, and Windows PC.

For the original XBox - I use Fusex (latest version - V0.6 - http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/xbox/emulators/fusex/)

For the PSP, I use FUSE PSP, (Latest version - 0.10.0.21 (April 07, 2009) http://psp.akop.org/fuse)

(by the way, many thanks to Phil Kendall for making his brilliant emulator FUSE (http://fuse-emulator.sourceforge.net/) open source, as that's what makes the above two emulators possible)

For the PC I sometimes use Specemu, or Spin, or Spud (don't tell karingal!), but my favourite remains X128, which I use with the frontend SGD.

X128 - (latest DOS/SB SAOM Version - v0.94 - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/x128/)

SGD - (latest version 2.05 - http://www.worldofspectrum.org/sgd.html)

All of these emulators are free and have lots of great features. I prefer X128 as I'm used to it (I've used it since the late 1990s!) plus it does everything I want, but it does lack some more advanced features such as a proper disassembler (though it does support the Multiface + Genie combination, which is good enough for minor game hacking) and graphical memory viewer. Note that X128 is much older than most other emulators, and so doesn't properly emulate some demos, though every game I've tried works fine (though maybe some games won't display 100% correctly if they are really clever, but I've not noticed any), plus I use X128 and SGD in DOSBox, so if you don't know DOSBox then you might want to just use a Windows based emulator instead.

The great thing about Spectrum emulators (apart from them running such great games, I mean) is that there are so many of them, they have almost every feature you could imagine (if one emulator doesn't have a feature, it's a pretty safe bet that another does), most of them are free, and they run on almost every system you could reasonably expect!
  • edited January 2015
    FBZX WII, much better front end than the wii version of Fuse, your only choice really.
  • edited January 2015
    I use Marvin on my Android tablet. Never had any issues with compatibility, has built in WOS access, all around great emulator. So nice to play Pheenix on the go.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.dejvice.rc.Marvin&hl=en
  • edited February 2015
    Spud v0.240 released.

Installer: http://bit.ly/12Fnz29

Zipfile: http://bit.ly/1us1Yvv
  • edited February 2015
    Hi,

I'm getting the attached error after installing and running it. I'm using Windows 8.1 64Bit

The program can't start because MSVP119.dll is missing.

Peter
  • edited February 2015
    Hi,

I'm getting the attached error after installing and running it. I'm using Windows 8.1 64Bit

The program can't start because MSVP119.dll is missing.

Peter
    To be honest I've never tested Spud with Windows 8 so have no idea if Spud works with it.

You could try downloading the zipfile and use that or you could download the offending dll.
  • on Android phone I use UnrealSpectrum(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.usp&hl=en) and on desktop (Ubuntu) I use ZXPoly emulator (https://github.com/raydac/zxpoly)

<a href="https://poly" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">ZX-Poly project page</a><br><br>
  • - Unreal Speccy.
    - Z80Stealth
    - Real Spectrum
    - X128 (for work)

Not that bad is one of the commercial ones. But I wasn't paid for making advertisement here (hahaha).
    ZX81/ZX Spectrum/Amiga/Atari music: http://yerzmyey.i-demo.pl/
  • I think one that a lot of people forget about is MESS (the companion project to MAME). It can be tricky to get set up, but the debugger in it is not too bad and has some features like multiple memory and disassembly windows that the others don't have. One other nice thing about it is that while single-stepping code, the screen display is updated immediately, so if you're debugging some screen output routines which are doing strange things, you can see exactly what's going on as it happens.
  • You know guys that this thread is completely useless for beginners?

If making it sticky at the top was supposed to help such people then it's a total miss.

Spectranet, OpenPandora, Turbo Sound FM, multiple disassembly windows? You could as well talk Mandarin Chinese ;)

But if it's just discussion for discussion sake then okay, I like Spectaculator and Spin :)
  • Ralf said:

You know guys that this thread is completely useless for beginners?

If making it sticky at the top was supposed to help such people then it's a total miss.

Spectranet, OpenPandora, Turbo Sound FM, multiple disassembly windows? You could as well talk Mandarin Chinese ;)

Well beginners can just pick one at random cause they're all good enough... Then inevitably start a thread asking where to get "roms" and how to load them ;)

Honestly what was anyone expecting to happen to this thread other than it go the same way as every other "best emulator" thread? :p

My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • You know guys that this thread is completely useless for beginners?

Well beginners can just pick one at random cause they're all good enough... Then inevitably start a thread asking where to get "roms" and how to load them ;)

Honestly what was anyone expecting to happen to this thread other than it go the same way as every other "best emulator" thread? :p

Indeed, perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to something like "Recommend your favourite ZX Spectrum emulator". Thoughts?

From a personal perspective I believe Spud is the best because I wrote it and I know how to avoid all the bugs...
  • For development i use ZXSpin as the ability to edit and test your code without having to compile it and open it every time you make a small change saves me a lot of time.

As far as actual emulation goes i can easily recommend Spectaculator as it seems to have the best emulation of the real hardware and the price is dirt cheap considering it is for all future updates.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Squad  
  • For development i use ZXSpin as the ability to edit and test your code without having to compile it and open it every time you make a small change saves me a lot of time.

As far as actual emulation goes i can easily recommend Spectaculator as it seems to have the best emulation of the real hardware and the price is dirt cheap considering it is for all future updates.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Squad  
    Totally agree with this - Spin for getting up and running with programming, Spectaculator as a default choice for playing games.

I also found Spud quite good for finding graphics in games, but don't tell Karingal, he'll be harping on about it for ages... 
    ;)
  • As far as actual emulation goes i can easily recommend Spectaculator as it seems to have the best emulation of the real hardware and the price is dirt cheap considering it is for all future updates.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Squad  
    Totally disagree.
    SpecEmu has the best (most accurate) emulation of the real hardware and its 30$ cheaper than Spectaculator.
    ZX Spin is good for development but its remained in beta stage and contains bugs.
    So I easily recommend SpecEmu for daily use.

Sincerely,

Pegaz
  • Morkin said:

For development i use ZXSpin as the ability to edit and test your code without having to compile it and open it every time you make a small change saves me a lot of time.

Sincerely,

Scorpion Squad  
    Totally agree with this - Spin for getting up and running with programming, Spectaculator as a default choice for playing games.

I also found Spud quite good for finding graphics in games, but don't tell Karingal, he'll be harping on about it for ages... 
    ;)
    At last a Spud fan, only taken 8 years...
  • edited May 2015
    ...I also noticed that Spud occasionally crashes when I'm simply trying to load a game on it, which in my eyes makes it the most authentic emulator of the lot...  ;))

Post edited by Morkin on
  • Morkin said:

...I also noticed that Spud occasionally crashes when I'm simply trying to load a game on it, which in my eyes makes it the most authentic emulator of the lot...  ;))

I'd like to say that's deliberate...
  • I think over the years I've tried nearly every emulator, z80, jpp, r80, x128, realspec,zx-32 and emuzwin were all favourites at one time or another as the scene and emulation evolved. 

My main emulator is specemu (now with joystick support YES!!!!) it's accurate, has ULAplus support works well on low end machines too.

spectaculator for the video recording, produces nice smooth avi's

zxds on my ds's (best on dsixl or 3dsxl just for the bigger screen) accurate and has ULAplus support

fuse sdl on the pi does everything you need except ULAplus support

didntxspectrum has more accurate colour cycling for rainbow effects over fusex on the xbox classic

I still use spud, zero. zxspin and fuse but not as frequently.