can't use my old speccy

edited August 2001 in Sinclair Miscellaneous
I have tried to set up my old ZX Spectrum and I get the Sinclair logo, but I can't type anything. There is no cursor and nothing happens when I press the keys. I haven't used my speccy since the mid-80's so I don't remember if there is something more you should do. Is my speccy broken or is it something I have forgotten to do?
Post edited by Karin on

Comments

• edited August 2001
    Same case here too. I think, the keyboard membrane is a goner, or perhaps the whole bloody chip must have gone kaput! Blast!
  • edited August 2001
    Just open the Speccie. Don't be afraid and take a look at the membrane.
    If its lose, plug it in and try again. If it has broken lines, repair it with
    fluid REAR-WINDOW auto-heating silver polish. We did the same for a
    SAM-membrane. What have you got to lose if it doesn't work at all.

Dr BEEP.
  • edited August 2001
    I have a spare membrane you can have 'think' it is okay.
  • edited August 2001
    If you are too scared to fiddle about with the membrane yourself, you could do worse than try Ian Worsley. He's the best guy for fixing Spectrums. he's on the net somewhere.
    THE RETRO GAMER IRC CHATROOM. EVERY SUNDAY AT 9PM BST. LOG ON USING THE LINK BELOW:
    https://discordapp.com/invite/cZt59EQ
  • edited August 2001
    whooaaa! I just checked and I find that there seems to be burn marks on some of the membrane. I mean at one point the silver disappears into something black (ugly too!) and distinctly looks "burnt". How can that happen? Is there something I can do about this? Is this the end of the world as we know it?Help!