The Hobbit 128K edition

What's this?
What better to celebrate the new forum with, than a long-awaited release!

I got tired of all the quibbling over tiny details in the development thread, and decided the only way this thing was going to get done was if someone just dived in and got on with it.

httpwwwcodersnotescomfileshobbit128pic1gifhttpwwwcodersnotescomfileshobbit128pic2gif

httpwwwcodersnotescomfileshobbit128pic3gifhttpwwwcodersnotescomfileshobbit128pic4gif

Featuring:
  • Mick Farrow's fabulous new loading screen.
  • The slow old vector-based artwork has been replaced by 55 new bitmap screens, ported from the C64, BBC, and DOS disk versions. Many thanks to the efforts of the numerous WoS contributors for their hard work in producing these!
  • A new title screen, crediting the original authors and WoS.
  • Completing the game now shows a fancy ending screen.
  • 48K compatible - if booted on a 48K machine, you get the original artwork.
So without further ado, download it from here:
http://www.codersnotes.com/files/hobbit128/hobbit128.zip
Feel free to re-host this as appropriate.

SAY TO BARD "SHOOT DRAGON"
Bard says "No."

Comments

• Too bad you didn't ask, because I have been doing exactly the same lately. You can see it here.

Except I'm taking extra time to "optimize" each map in order to minimize visual glitches during screen scrolling.

Also I'm still planning to properly handle it as a community project and discuss here, in this forum, the remaining undecided screens with everybody else involved, instead of picking whatever screens I want.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • I am sorry that it doesn't meet your seal of approval Einar, but like many others I just got tired of watching the years go by.
    Thanked by 1Pegaz
  • I am sorry that it doesn't meet your seal of approval Einar, but like many others I just got tired of watching the years go by.
    Sure, I wish I had more time to work on it faster. But instead of watching years go by, you could have joined these discussions any time, to work with everybody else, in order to make the remaining choices as a team.

You obviously dedicated a lot of time to produce a high quality package, that's something I can appreciate. It's just your "screw everybody else's opinions, I will just take the choices I want and finish it the way I want" attitude that bothers me.

Usually "open project" just means 1 or 2 developers posting their work, and other people merely posting a few opinions. The most exciting aspect of Hobbit128 was seeing this open experiment really work, with many people evolved, developing it as a team. The original thread had almost a thousand posts, mostly with people discussing ideas and improving each other's designs. Somehow you completely missed this point.

That's unfortunate, because if an "open project" means an open chance for someone take the available material and release it without checking with anybody else, I see no point ever trying to do it again.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • Well apparently I was wrong for trying to do something nice for the community.

I can only apologize profusely for my foolhardy attempt to make something worthwhile. I have taken down the link to prevent any more harm. I cannot seem to edit my post to reflect this however (stupid new forum bugs...)

You are right that this project represents the contributions of a lot of different people, and in hindsight it was absolutely stupid of me to try and bring those contributions together into a final package.

I look forward to seeing Einar's vastly improved release.

• You are still missing the point. There's nothing wrong about the quality of your release (in fact I just mentioned you produced a high quality package) and I never claimed I could do it better. That's not the problem. I thought my last post was quite clear.

You created a very nice loading screen effect. Also you mentioned a fancy ending (although I didn't see it). It would be great if we could combine the "best of both worlds", if you agree. It would mean first finishing the "community effort" for the remaining screen choices, then creating a new package with these screens, your new effects, and a more detailed credits screen that I mentioned before. I will release my source code and "optimized" screens, then we could see what's useful for this combined version. What do you think? Are you interested?
  • the link doesn't work, I was going to have a look at that too
    bugger

• edited May 2015
    Good to know the project is alive!
    I guess a challenge could be putting the Klaus' hacking tool to good use so the game content can be expanded 
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • Please people, don't fight.

What happened can't be undone. This project was already in hiatus for several months. Good to see that somebody decided to do a final touch to it. Let's just call it finished and enjoy the game.

Or discuss and adjust every pixel and attribute once again for a year. But there is always a moment when somebody needs to say "Stop, enough of it".

And if some guys say A and others say B than there is always somebody who needs to make a decision. There can't be a truly democratic game.

• edited May 2015
    It's normal for the archive to collect all versions of a game, especially for spectrum games. I'll add this "designed by wos" version in the list now (well, soon), and the "designed by community committee" version when it's released.
    Post edited by Timmy on
  • @Kayamon

You havent done any harm to anyone.
    I'm also tired of waiting for Godot, so please leave the link again, I eagerly want to see your version, like many others, I'm sure of it.
  • edited May 2015
    Seems like Russian Spectrumists managed to grab it.

http://www.4shared.com/zip/NO0_SGt3ba/hobbit128.html
    http://sderni.ru/275169

And I don't feel wrong at all with giving the link. Kayamon, you did a good job and it deserves to be here.

Post edited by Ralf on
  • Ah, good show. Was wondering what had happened to this project, glad to see that someone had picked up the reigns after Einar abandoned it.

And the link should be restored - this is an excellent version of a great game.

D.
  • The original link still works with a little alteration. The file hasn't been "_deleted" entirely ;)

Anyway, I think it's great that it's been released. I don't wish to point out the bleedin' obvious but WOS committee produced games rarely get beyond the, errrr, committee stage so Kayamon should be congratulated on releasing a slick looking finished product.

Also, I'm sure Einar didn't intend to cause offence. He's produced some fantastic stuff over the years and if his version gets finished as well then that'd be great too. Personally, I think he'd be better off skipping the "community" input part as otherwise it might not be ready until Double Dragon, Monkey Island and Half Life 3 have been released.
  • I tend to agree with Dunny & richl, if Einar waited until everyone agreed to every little change he makes before moving on to the next step then in all likelihood this project would never see the light of day. Community input projects don't work, you need someone to take control and make decisions otherwise nothing gets achieved.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • By all means release it! Great to have it!
    I put some time into those screens, converting them into Spectrum format, etc.
    So I'd like to be able to enjoy it!

Sure, something like "hey, gonna release this, is it OK ?" would have been nice. 

But no harm done, I don't see any negative or bad intentions there. The credits state WOS, and that's good.
    We can see the images online, so why not in the game as intended?

I too agree that design by committee doesn't work, so also no wrong there. 
  • Dunny said:

Ah, good show. Was wondering what had happened to this project, glad to see that someone had picked up the reigns after Einar abandoned it.

Interesting. Did you conclude that I abandoned it, based on my "don't worry, this project is still alive / it will be my next priority" (answering Kayamon's statement that otherwise he was liable to do it himself) that I posted about 2 weeks before WoS forum broke? Or based on the link I just provided above showing the work I have been doing afterwards?

Anyway I was willing to continue the original effort. But as I indicated several times in the original thread, I always made an effort to handle it as a community project, not just my own. Therefore if the community itself don't really care how it's handled, there's no point I should bother either.
  • edited May 2015
    We all knew Einar was working on his game behind the curtains, the project was advancing at a good pace until he postponed it for working on other games, personally I thought he was also waiting for a dunno which tool to hack/expand the logic/story and make the player experience a bit different.. So thanks for the game but I still hope that Kayamon works together with Einar on this communistical oriented project. Thoughts,votes?
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • I have restored the link.

I must admit, this wasn't exactly the response I'd imagined.

The last contribution in the develoment thread was in July 2014. When I asked about it (and I did ask about it), Einar implied that he hadn't even started on it yet. 3 months passed and there was still no indication that anything was happening.

All I did was collect up everyone's (great) contributions and decisions, and put them together as everyone intended. I don't get how that's not community-minded. I don't like the accusation that I somehow threw away all the forum's choices over which screen was used, 'picking whatever screens I want'. I read through every one of the 868 posts and collected up the community's decisions as best anyone could.

As far as I can tell, the only real problem here is that it doesn't contain a nice "EINAR" logo stamped in the bottom-right corner, like the thing Einar just posted does. Einar did a lot of great work getting all of it together, and this release showcases all that work. It's a community project, right? Why does it have to matter who assembles the final .TAP?

This whole experience has certainly made me think twice about trying to help out here in future.

• Good for you Kayamon

Nobody owns this project.
  • Ah, good show. Was wondering what had happened to this project, glad to see that someone had picked up the reigns after Einar abandoned it.

Interesting. Did you conclude that I abandoned it, based on my "don't worry, this project is still alive / it will be my next priority" (answering Kayamon's statement that
    otherwise he was liable to do it himself) that I posted about 2 weeks before WoS forum broke?
    Or based on the link I just provided above showing the work I have been doing afterwards?

Well yes. Nothing was actually being achieved - aside from endless discussions about ink and paper. No demos forthcoming, no coordination.

Anyway I was willing to continue the original effort. But as I indicated several times in the original thread, I always made an effort to handle it as a community project, not just my own. Therefore if the community itself don't really care how it's handled, there's no point I should bother either.

What you should have done is taken control of it. There are adages about "design by committee" for good reasons.

Anyway, it's done now and we're all very pleased with the result. A win all round, I'd say.

D.
  • edited May 2015

Well yes. Nothing was actually being achieved - aside from endless discussions about ink and paper. No demos forthcoming, no coordination.

What you should have done is taken control of it. There are adages about "design by committee" for good reasons.

Anyway, it's done now and we're all very pleased with the result. A win all round, I'd say.

D.
    You can see most of the images were already decided plus his more than proven strength to finish other games and libraries lately, so I think you are wrong when you say there was not coordination or expectations of a finished game.

Beyond "taking over control", ideologies and irritation, there is still a kind proposition to make an even better game which hasn't been answered
    Post edited by hikoki on
  • Kayamon said:

That's just the way people are, never expect too much from them :-)

Making something avaliable for others is a gesture you do to please yourself.
    Learned that from other communities. Some of my work got horrible feedback, yet it was downloaded and used by 98% of that community.
    It's the way it is I guess...

• I have restored the link.

The last contribution in the develoment thread was in July 2014. When I asked about it (and I did ask about it), Einar implied that he hadn't even started on it yet. 3 months passed and there was still no indication that anything was happening.

All I did was collect up everyone's (great) contributions and decisions, and put them together as everyone intended. I don't get how that's not community-minded. I don't like the accusation that I somehow threw away all the forum's choices over which screen was used, 'picking whatever screens I want'. I read through every one of the 868 posts and collected up the community's decisions as best anyone could.

As far as I can tell, the only real problem here is that it doesn't contain a nice "EINAR" logo stamped in the bottom-right corner, like the thing Einar just posted does. Einar did a lot of great work getting all of it together, and this release showcases all that work. It's a community project, right? Why does it have to matter who assembles the final .TAP?

This whole experience has certainly made me think twice about trying to help out here in future.

You've done well and there is no need to feel bad about it.
    I just tried the game briefly and it looks great.

• I also managed to try it now and it's great.

To be honest, I didn't believe that anything will come out of this project. It was like Double Dragon, Monkey Island or Blues Brothers on the forums - lots of buzz, posts and pictures but not much real hard work of coding.

And you actually did the hard work. Congratulations and thanks again.
  • I wish someone would finish my stagnating speccy projects for me, but it's hard to get people excited about filesystem code. The screenshots tend to be rather dull... :))
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • This looks fantastic, thanks.  I've tried it in Fuse, just about to copy it to tape to play on my +3.  I always wondered why the Spectrum didn't get the enhanced version.

Kayamon: does this include the extra text from the other versions or just the enhanced graphics?

I play core war and do a bit of retro programming.
    I have a few Speccy games for sale on eBay.
  • impomatic said:

This looks fantastic, thanks.  I've tried it in Fuse, just about to copy it to tape to play on my +3.  I always wondered why the Spectrum didn't get the enhanced version.

Kayamon: does this include the extra text from the other versions or just the enhanced graphics?

The text is unchanged, I figured that was almost a whole project in itself. (the game stores all its text in a wacky semi-compressed format).

Thanks to those here who showed their appreciation.

• I must admit, this wasn't exactly the response I'd imagined.
    No worries - you did nothing wrong. The community wasn't moving at the speed you wanted so you took it upon yourself to finish it and it paid off - and you produced a nice looking package. And Einar is still free to release his version too.

I know exactly how you feel. By now it's been almost 2 years since we were told that the Spectrum version of British Bob was "progressing fast" but so far nothing has appeared. I even asked (back then) if there was anything I could do to help - but there wasn't, and now not a month goes by without me thinking that I should just go and make the game myself. Luckily (for them, I guess) I have plenty of other projects to tend to, so I won't do it. But I'm tempted. ;)
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • @Sokurah: I very much doubt you could do the Spectrum versión of British Bob, as that game has been released by Relevo for iOS, therefore with a comercial release, and the game has a TM. Also, Jon has told me not so long ago that the game is quite advanced in its development. Relevo, his studio has been super busy with its first game released for consoles, Baboon for the PS Vita, that is why all his retro projects have been put in a Little hiatus, to be retaken soon. Besides, whats the point of doing a remake of a new homebrew game? I cant see it, really ;)

As for the Hobbit problem, I think it would have been good if Kayamon had written something before his release to the people involved, so I can understand Einar too.
    Luckily this is only a Hobby so we should all concéntrate in have fun and be good :D

• Congrats to all involved! Here's a walkthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9qrZC7WUio