New Manic Miner Remake written in AGK Basic and available on Mac OS X and Windows.

Hi,

I've released a re-write of a re-write I did in the 90's for Manic Miner.

This one is available for OS X and windows, and uses Andy Nobles graphics (he updated them) with his permission.

My original version which used to be on my old btinternet account move to here :-</div>

A new version with 40 levels (The original 20 + 20 more) can be located here :-</div>

It has a cool feature where if you press F1 on the piano loading screen, the game will show you how to complete it in one life.  and if you hit F1 during game play, provided you have enough lives remaining it will show you how to complete a level you are stuck on.

Mac OSX Version

Windows Version

I've been trying to contact Matt Smith though to gain his approval for the remake, do you have a forwarding email/address you can share?

If you are interesting in learning how this was made, you can check out my blog on http://manicmineragk.wordpress.com where I update the tutorials as and when my day job doesn't take over. 

Hope you enjoy this version!

Kind Regards

Thanked by 1andrewvanbeck

Comments

• This is brilliant!  Thank you for the OS X version, just played it up to the Attack of the Mutant Telephones level.  It's a very faithful remake of an all time classic.  I'm going to watch a few of the videos on the dev blog now.  Thanks once again for doing an OS X version.  :)
  • Hi monkey, Thank you for the compliment!

I wanted an OS X version and Andy's original only supports PPC Mac's not Intel.  I've tried to make it as close as I could to the original.  I did change the timings to make it slightly faster though, one of the criticisms in Beta was that the game was too slow though it was identical to the original.

Making this a 2nd time round highlighted the number of errors in my first remake in 1999, this time I had Mac FUSE and Camtasia to try and get the positions all correct.

It does have experimental PS3 controller support if you can hook that up to your Mac!

Kind Regards
  • Nice work, chap - it plays really nicely. And it's nice to see my old Tales from a Parallel Universe levels back in action again, too - brings back memories of the much simpler comp.sys.sinclair years. :-)

• Thanks Lee!  I hope you don't mind me resurrecting your levels!

In case anyone is interested, if you take a look at the config folder and levels, you can see the level data is nicely organised, and it's no stretch of the imagination that anyone with a text editor can easily create their own levels and add sprites.  It's a MM engine in it's own right!

Here's the cool bit, if you hit F1 on the Piano page the game will currently play it's way through all 40 levels without losing a life :)

• Yeah, no worries at all - I think this is the third or fourth time they've been used in a remake so I'm almost expecting to see them at this point. :-)
  • Hello, I've made a minor update to the MM remake to V1.1a and it's available here :- http://muckypaws.com/2015/12/19/manic-miner-v1-1a-update/

I hope you enjoy it, Merry Christmas!
  • I'm getting a page cannot be displayed error?

I'm in the US though so it could be a regional thing?
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • edited December 2015
    I'm getting a page cannot be displayed error?

It is ok in Europe for the main page, but it is blank for downloads.

Post edited by Bedazzle on
    Heavy on the disasm
  • hmmm... That's quite odd... Try this link, it looks like my website isn't mapping properly.... https://jasebrooks.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/manic-miner-v1-1a-update/
  • edited December 2015
    Muckypaws wrote: »
    hmmm... That's quite odd... Try this link, it looks like my website isn't mapping properly.... https://jasebrooks.wordpress.com/2015/12/19/manic-miner-v1-1a-update/

Now it redirects to dropbox, and win file was downloaded without problem.

Weird, but inside win archive there is "macosx" folder. 8-/
    Heavy on the disasm
  • Hi Bedazzle,

Yes it does redirect to drop box, I have checked the link and downloaded the package for Windows and I don't see a macosx folder you have reported. The package is called ManicMinerWindowsV11.zip its size is 9,443,951 bytes (9.4 MB on disk) there is a media folder which contains the sprites, level data and audio.

The Mac Version which is called ManicMinerOSXV11a.zip its size is 10,167,262 bytes (10.2 MB on disk) and is a standard Mac OSX Executable with contains a macos folder within the content etc.

The windows version will have the Executable (AGK Player) and a Media folder.

Can you confirm you have downloaded the Windows version?
  • Something like this:
    lZv59MJ.jpg
    Heavy on the disasm
  • Hi Bedazzle,

Thank you for the info. I don't have a windows machine, I use Parallels and a Windows 7 VM and so on Mac I didn't see the hidden folder which looks to be a copy of the media files, I don't know how that got in there. I have repackaged up the zip file and updated the post on my blog.

Once again, Thank you for finding and taking the time to report it. :)

How does the game play on a real windows machine? I'm also interested in anyone wanting to create a level editor for the remake. The level designs (text files) are commented with the info required to add actors to the scene etc.

Kind Regards
  • edited December 2015
    How does the game play on a real windows machine?

Haven't played it much, game starts, music and graphics are nice, level 1 is working fine.
    The level designs (text files) are commented with the info required to add actors to the scene etc.

There is no comment for replay data
    Heavy on the disasm
  • Muckypaws wrote: »
    The level designs (text files) are commented with the info required to add actors to the scene etc.

There is no comment for replay data[/quote]

The replay data has a structure to it, but is created using an in-game recording facility, which is disabled for the final release. It is basically the solution to each level to show it can be achieved without losing a life, you can press F1 on the Piano Title Page and Miner Willy will show you how to complete all of the caverns without losing a life, which is a pretty good regression testing tool when I was making changes to the collision detection etc. There are some other development bits still in, Pressing Tab will show the collision grid, Function keys will show internal state information, if you get stuck on a level and need help, providing you have at least one extra life available, press F1 and you will complete that level (but won't gain the points for it). plus other tweaks in game to be discovered :)