New Game ~ Zombo!

Zombo%2Bloading%2Bscreen.bmp

From my brother's blog....
"You've read the comic, you've bought the action figure, now play the brand new game for the ZX Spectrum!

Not a dream! Not an imaginary thing like what someone does for a joke or something! This is the real thing - an actual thing that you can download right now, right here."
ZomboBloggerInlay.bmp
"Artwork by Henry Flint

FEATURES
Predefined keys!
The ability to fire in two different directions - left and right!
Roughly ten whole minutes of semi-challenging gameplay!
Random teleportations into different areas, becoming trapped in the scenery for all eternity!

screenshot1.bmp

THE PLOT

When Flight 303 crash-lands on the proto-sentient and highly lethal deathworld known as Chronos, it does not bode well for the surviving passengers. Only one well-mannered zombie/man hybrid can save the day. He is Zombo, the result of a top secret Government™ experiment to create the ultimate soldier or weapon or something. Trust your Government™.

GAMEPLAY

You must rescue 6 survivors and defeat the secret end of game baddy to win. Colour coded keys are scattered around the planet, as are several other items, some of which may help, others of which may not, but there's a gun somewhere which'll probably come in handy. However, please bear in mind that the Shootybang 2000™ can only fire horizontally. To fire vertically, you'd require an upgrade to the Shootybang 3000™ and that's not available to you within this game.

CONTROLS
Kempston Joystick
Sinclair Joystick
Keyboard
Q - Up
A - Down
O - Left
P - Right
SPACE - Fire
H - Pause
3 - Instantaneous Death Button (Quit Game)


WHY HAVE YOU MADE A ZX SPECTRUM GAME ABOUT ZOMBO?

Because the plot of the 2000 AD comic strip is exactly the sort of bizarre premise that a lot of those old 8-bit games used to have, and I knew there was software available that meant that I could if I wanted to, (in this case, Arcade Game Designer by Jonathan Cauldwell). Add to that the strangely British sensibilities and twistedly nostalgic pop culture references, and a slightly buggy game for the Spectrum just seemed a perfect tie-in.

Zip file includes the instructions above, tzx, tap, z80 and sna files, and a mock cassette inlay. You'll need a Spectrum emulator to play, but you should have no trouble finding one of those online.

This is a completely unofficial, not-for-profit fan-game by Malcolm Kirk.
Programmed in Jonathan Cauldwell's Arcade Game Designer.
Zombo™ Rebellion A/S, © Rebellion A/S."

More info, pics and the download here.....

Comments

  • deadpan666 wrote: »
    >>Random teleportations into different areas, becoming trapped in the scenery for all eternity!
    >>slightly buggy game for the Spectrum

    Nifty game and I like the style!

    The bugs are very deleterious though. Genuinely not taking the **** but has the author inserted them or are they proper bugs he wants rid of? They only happen on collecting an object so they should be easy to fix (or at least find). I'm not familiar with Zombo so it might be part of a story I don't know about!

    Either way thanks for an off the wall, possibly avant garde, release!
  • R-Tape wrote: »

    Nifty game and I like the style!

    The bugs are very deleterious though. Genuinely not taking the **** but has the author inserted them or are they proper bugs he wants rid of? They only happen on collecting an object so they should be easy to fix (or at least find). I'm not familiar with Zombo so it might be part of a story I don't know about!

    Either way thanks for an off the wall, possibly avant garde, release!

    Bugs aren't intentional...but he couldn't edit them by the time he had discovered them because of the way AGD works. There wasn't enough memory apparently...

    ...but as they're not too bad, he thought he'd release it as it was, as he has loads of other things to do and had already spent ages fixing other bugs, such as characters disappearing, etc...

    He's pretty much done with it now it's out there, but if anybody wants to try and fix it he says to feel free! :)


  • deadpan666 wrote: »
    ...but as they're not too bad...

    Hmmm sorry, I disagree. I've lost about 10 lives due to them in about 20 minutes play, but I see Pavero already has a mapped version so maybe it's just me!
    deadpan666 wrote: »
    He's pretty much done with it now it's out there, but if anybody wants to try and fix it he says to feel free! :)

    Aye I fully understand the drive to get a game out there, especially if it's causing headaches and one is busy. Perhaps he could release the game embedded in AGD to make it easier for others to find them?

  • I like it. Quite like the way enemies aren't predictable!
  • Very nice.

    Feels completely not like standard AGD game which is very good. There are bigger enemies than usual and enemy explosions are top quality. The graphics are also very good.
  • Cool! This looks interesting. Looks very colourful and polished. Like the humour too :)

    Will give it a go later.
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • Yep, it looks great. The artwork & loading screen are cool. It's worth a try!

    B-)
  • nice game, fun to play. nowhere near completing but got 655 top score so far

    not encountered any bugs while playing?
  • def chris wrote: »
    not encountered any bugs while playing?

    It's weird, it seems no-one else had the same experience I had. When I first loaded up I must have had a really bad run of the bug, or something I did made it more likely to happen (for example holding down a key when an object is collected. I wondered how anyone could see it as fit for release. It seemed to calm down though, even though every time I've played the bug has happened at least once (every time I've collected the key in the 'fire' room I've lost a life).

    Anyway, I don't mean to put it down, it's a cool game and I played it through. The evil Obmoz was more fiendish than I thought and got me first time. Ta for the game.
  • edited July 2015
    deadpan666 wrote: »
    Bugs aren't intentional...but he couldn't edit them by the time he had discovered them because of the way AGD works. There wasn't enough memory apparently...

    The memory problem is because AGD has to de-tokenise the code when events are edited and expand the text into a buffer at the end of the program. Text is fantastically expensive in memory terms and sometimes overruns the end of RAM in big games. AGD tries to reduce the indentation when that happens, but if that fails there's nothing it can do.

    Anyway, it's a fun little game, the first time I've seen 16x24 sprites in a finished article. Love the loading screen and the look of the thing generally! Good stuff!

    Post edited by jonathan on
    No longer part of the Spectrum scene but still supporting Multi-Platform Arcade Game Designer. I am NOT on Twitter.
    Egghead Website
    Arcade Game Designer
    My itch.io page
  • eeh, scary " the government is your friend"
    funny game,
    my old website http://home.hccnet.nl/c.born/ has changed to http://www.cborn.nl/zxfiles/ so just click it and select a file
  • love the loader, art work, the graphics and the concept. great game.
  • I've just downloaded this game now, and boy it's hard. :)

    It's also really nicely done.
  • Nicely done and colorful !
  • Nice game ! How did you embed the menu inside a game screen?
    Find my (mostly unfinished) games here
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1694367894143130/
  • Saw there's a review in this month's Retrogamer btw - rubbish review (hardly says anything to help people decide if it's wortha try) - fun game ! ...AND I never had a single bug when I played it through on the ZX DS emulator
  • edited September 2015
    Nice game ! How did you embed the menu inside a game screen?

    My brother says....
    By accident. I didn't clear the screen, (because that would delete the HUD), and found that AGD displays the last screen you were in before quitting to the editor, dying or completing the game, whenever you restart.

    Oh, and glad most of you seem to like it! :)

    Post edited by deadpan666 on
Sign In or Register to comment.