Not bored with the Boards.

Comments

• Another idea

This would be combining the the Kelwood (see pic above) "laptop cooler"style Speccy base) with a "pinchgrip" laid directly on top for Speccy and RGB module . Only minimal "leg" support at the rear would be needed as keyboard area at the front would do most of the work . The "pinchgrip" would not need to be as complicated at the Opus type as it could be made just for this set up. Food for thought
  • The Adapt Eelectronics RGB moduleHidcote%20May%202016%20196_zps8r45chdt.jpg
  • Re above pic

There is a "power on" light at bottom left . The other 2 holes "centre bottom right" are for a "Philips like" screw head to adjust the display . These are plastic screw heads on my interface (Was there a brass variant? - not sure) I remember getting white flashes on my RGB display that could not be adjusted out . I was not happy with this interface . I gave up RGB on the 48k and used direct leads to monitors on 128k Spectrums . At the time this was an expensive failure for me. I wondered if production of this interface had been rushed to meet a sudden demand . The question now is "Can any obvious fault be found by opening it up and can any faults be easily rectified ? In other words :- "Is it worth opening it up?" . Can the components and the display be improved?. One other problem i have is that my monitors from this era are very large . Are there any small RGB displays around?

• Some rust on screws on the backHidcote%20May%202016%20197%202_zpscljstsiy.jpg
  • Re above pic Doubler Mark2 (from Draysoft)

Some time ago (see above) I posted a pic of an earlier Doubler Interface (from Draysoft) which used additional software (that I have not located yet) This , as the labeling shows is a later version . This variant has no red button like the red button on the earlier one . But there is a "save to tape" socket on the LHS (also labelled) And "yes" I must have had a good "labeler" in those days!
  • Inside the Adept Electronics Interface Pic 1Interfaces%20001_zpspnzdwbgr.jpg
  • Re the above pics of the Adapt Electronics RGB Interface.

When bought new it was expensive however this seems to be justified by the complexity of the 2 boards.

1) Maybe I should replace the capacitors?

2) White "phosphoring" of the board is visible on the unidentified chips shown on Pic 6

The rusting of the small bolts on the case was not too bad and I managed to get them out OK . Any comments on the components etc and any ideas to improve it would be welcome at this stage.When new It definitely did not give a perfect display , as mentioned above , the white "dot" flashing on the display could not be adjusted out . However other comment seen about this RGB inreface is favourable so I thought it worth taking a look at the inside . These pics are the result.
  • The capacitors look a bit "special" maybe I will leave them alone
  • Err, fault finding on this board would be a nightmare, due to the manufacturer having sandpapered the IC markings off.

Mark
  • Hi Mark

Thanks for that . I noticed the lack of markings on the chips but did not realize sandpapering had taken place . At least a "new" manufacturing practice has been uncovered . All that white dust around the chips is probably sandpaper related , Oh well thanks for the expert opinion . I will put it back together

• It appears that more modern versions of an RGB interface for the 48k ZX Spectrum have been produced. ( for example , the SPECTRA Interface). Good to know improvements have been made over the years!
  • Re glassdust

I have found out that glass can conduct electricity in a hot thermal state . So having glass dust (from sandpaper) all over the place (and under the chips) would not necessarily help this interface . It is difficult to clean it away from under the chips . And arguably the manufacturer should have cleaned this up better having created the problem in the first place . Interesting though it is I will move on to the next interface (The Doubler)
  • The Doubler late versionthe%20doubler%20003_zpsolvovtxb.jpg
  • Other side of Doubler late version PCBthe%20doubler%20002_zpskhq5kdr8.jpg
  • This later Doubler appears to have a fairly simple PCB :simpler it appears than the earlier Doubler (see above way back)

• No sanding off of the chips on this one!

• Next I could try a very simple educational project : a broken Sinclair power supply . I have loads of these (good uns) so I do not need this one : it is therefore "low risk" but it is also educational (for me anyway , and I need the practice!) And it will give me a chance to try out my new £2.50ish Multimeters (assuming a 200% distributor mark up how much did they really pay to get these from China?) . Mind you I am forgetting the relatively high cost of the batteries needed which could undermine the "economical" nature of the whole thing!
  • The severely broken power supply . How bad is it?001_zpsstlahnkx.jpg
  • Pic 2 of Spectrum power supply002_zpsm36fqwnx.jpg
  • Pic 3 ZX Spectrum Power Supply003_zpskeu36md3.jpg