Version 1.3 of Dingo released.

Updated version of Dingo for the ZX Spectrum released (v1.3).

Earlier in the summer, Mark R. Jones, who did the graphics for the Spectrum version of Dingo, asked me if I was interested in re-releasing it as there seemed to be a demand for it.

I said “Okay, but we shouldn’t just release the same version as before – I want to tweak it first“. And then I did just that over the summer. The primary thing was a desire to improve the control method – which I did, but there are a few other changes too.

The changes in the 2015 version are;

* Much improved control method. This was the bug-bear for many people with the original release, but it’s now MUCH better.
* Enemy pre-spawn warning – so you can see where the Dingos are about to appear and move out the way.
* Bonus fruit stays on screen – It was easy to forget which was the bonus fruit during the game so the current bonus fruit is now displayed in the status area.
* A new loading screen.
* A couple of bugfixes.

Mark handled the duplication of the cassettes (in 3 different versions) and made a total of 52 copies. There are 26 double jewel cases, 21 clam cases & 5 double jewel ‘line drawing’ inlays. All of them numbered and signed by Mark.

Mark also arranged with Rob Buckley to have him produce a small Dingo tribute statue, so thanks to him EVERYONE who buys one will then be entered into a raffle once all the copies have been sold. Your name is entered for each copy you buy (so if you buy 2 copies your name is in the raffle twice). The person who’s name gets selected will then win the ‘Dingo’ tribute pictured below – once all the copies have been sold.

The updated version will also be put online as a free download once all the physical copies have been sold.

At the time of writing most copies are already gone and there are only 10 double cases left. Write to Mark to buy your copy if you’re interrested in one. There won’t be produced any more.

Here’s a few pictures Mark took while duplicating the cassettes. Also pictured at the bottom is Rob Buckley’s Tribute sculpture.

2015Dingo1.jpg

2015Dingo2.jpg

2015Dingo3.jpg

2015Dingo4.jpg

2015RafflePrize1.jpg

2015RafflePrize2.jpg

2015RafflePrize3.jpg
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
Twitter: Sokurah

Comments

• Ohhhh... any chance of a video teaser of the game in action?
    I am from that generation, when Pluto was still a planet, and the Earth is round.

Bomb Munchies on WOS thread
    Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
    Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK
  • MatGubbins wrote: »
    Ohhhh... any chance of a video teaser of the game in action?
    It looks almost like the original version - the only visual changes are the pre-spawn animations and a fruit on the score-line. The "good stuff" is mostly invisible. But you'll feel it right away when you play it. ;)
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
  • ...on the other hand - if you haven't seen the game in action at all, then
    this video (of version 1.1) from my webpage will do the job just nicely. :)

• edited October 2015
    Nice one. I can certainly understand your drive to want to give customers something a bit special rather than just a plain rerelease (as I'm currently doing the same this myself).

I'll probably never do it, but does this one still have the potential of overclocking at level 256? Maybe at least I'll try and beat my level 80 something best :-)

I think I'll go for a line drawing one if available (Mark has a PM!).
    Post edited by R-Tape on
  • R-Tape wrote: »
    Nice one. I can certainly understand your drive to want to give customers something a bit special rather than just a plain rerelease (as I'm currently doing the same this myself).
    It made sense. Not everyone was happy with the controls (I was...but I'd be foolish if I didn't take notice of something that was mentioned as often as it was) so that was a no-brainer. I don't really get the need for an effect where the Dingos appear as they always appear in the corners, but I added that too. It was also a chance to optimize a lot of code.

I still regret saying yes to have it released on IOS using Jonathan Needle's Spectaculator as I didn't think it controlled well with touchcontrols, but with these changes I'm now one step closer to possibly say yes to have it end up on the Vega (I said no when they asked).

R-Tape wrote: »
    I'll probably never do it, but does this one still have the potential of overclocking at level 256? Maybe at least I'll try and beat my level 80 something best :-)
    Doh! I'd completely forgotten about that. So no, I'm afraid not. Next time then. ;)

• Oh yes - I did try the original DIngo on the Vega and I'm afraid it wasn't pleasant.
  • edited October 2015
    Sokurah wrote: »
    2015RafflePrize3.jpg
    lol, that looks pretty cool was it made out of Fimo?

edit, oops didn't see where it said download will become available when all the tapes are sold...
    Post edited by def chris on
  • def chris wrote: »
    I don't know. You can ask the guy who made it here.

• def chris wrote: »
    Sokurah wrote: »
    2015RafflePrize3.jpg

Fimo...Now there's a blast from the past.

To finalise your creation cook on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes on gas mark 5 :D

Of course nowhere in the small print did it mention that the smell of burning corpses and formaldehyde would take 3 weeks to dissipate...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • lol

not on facebook, I'll just assume it was made of Fimo
  • As Professor Farnsworth would say - "Good news everyone". :)

The improved version of Dingo is now online. Get version 1.3 here; http://tardis.dk/wordpress/?page_id=764

loading13.png
  • had a blast last night and quite enjoyed it.
    Yes, enjoying the new control system.
    I am from that generation, when Pluto was still a planet, and the Earth is round.

Bomb Munchies on WOS thread
    Bomb Munchies Ver1930 17th Nov 2017 (look for the blue download box ) If you get a time-out message and live in the UK then try after 9pm-3am.
    Send me a PM and I can email it to you too. Kent, UK
  • Sokurah wrote: »
    The improved version of Dingo is now online.
    Great stuff, it's an excellent game. Many thanks to all those involved.
  • I thought the old system was perfectly acceptable but I can see why this might be preferable. Works perfectly anyway and it is still a cracking little game.
  • Great news, I really enjoyed Dingo when it was released more than four years ago (it seems like yesterday...) and this updated version plays even better.