ZX Spectrum games with good in game music?

What games do you guys like that had good in game beeper or preferably AY music in game while playing?

Comments

• "Kung-Fu Master" - beeper,
    "Genesis: Dawn of a New Day", "Invasion of the Zombie Monsters" - AY.
    ZX Spectrum +2 & PicoDiv SD,
    Timex 2048 & divIDE 57c
  • Konami's Ping Pong. Superb music for the 48k beeper.
  • I'm sure a certain member from Italy will comment here soon!
    Ping Pong or Chronos on the beeper and the demo tune on Daley Thomson's Supertest 128K
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • Whitesnake asked about music you can hear while playing. Ping Pong and Chronos have good music but not while playing.
    ZX Spectrum +2 & PicoDiv SD,
    Timex 2048 & divIDE 57c
  • Switchblade, Renegade, Target Renegade, Rainbow Islands, Robocop, Xenon, Captain Dynamo, Marauder, Bionic Commando, Pac-Mania, Cybernoid, Gryzor, Zub. To name a few. :)
  • A couple Yerzmike's games come to mind:
    Crapbert Buttslut
    Deadly Labyrinth of Lord Xyrx
  • Always liked Batman the Movie (If you use the MICK trick to skip levels it even does a mash up of trying to play 2 tunes at once which usually sounds pretty good!), Astro Marine Corps, Kwik Snax and CJ in the USA.

The Untouchables had some pretty good AY versions of ragtime tunes (that I can now play on piano! - a different one for each level) but the game was so damn hard I needed cheats to see much of it.
  • edited November 2015
    Terramex, Auf Wiedersehen Monty, Amaurote, Glider Rider. Dozens more I can think of.
    Post edited by FrankT on
    WIP Tritone Demo
    No more html on dropbox. :(
  • Magicland Dizzy has great ingame tune. CJ's Elephant Antics too.

And I totally agree on Target: Renegade, Robocop, Batman: The Movie and Marauder.
  • Motos, Bosconian, and I was going to say Forgotten Worlds, but just managed to 'aquire' a tap file to refresh my memory and it has no AY? I remember it having music all through the levels on 128k. I had the original back in the day.
    WIP Tritone Demo
  • Stormbringer 128 and Where Time Stood Still.
    Dragonia has two in-game tunes - one fairly upbeat and a more siniste one when a roaming monster enters the same screen as you.
  • I did love the manic miner music back in the day.
    One of the Monty Mole games played anthems when you entered certain screens - I remember thinking that was quite cool
  • Cybernoid and Bear A Grudge. Both by J Dave Rogers, and both excellent.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • Doctor Aibolit.

Dr. Mario clone with about 11 tunes to pick from, and they all sound pretty good too.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Marauder is probably my favourite.
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • My favourite has to be Twilight: The land of shadows, specifically the TRD version. One of the rare cases where the crackers' modifications don't feel horribly out-of-place but actually add to the atmosphere and, coupled together with the original ingame music - which in itself is excellent - result in a weirdly harmonized mix of old/new school style, starting from the 'intro', (there's even a leitmotif of sorts). Overall a top production with that exact old SF feel
  • What is the best 48K beeper tune? Are there any that aren't terrible? Gilligan's Gold?
  • In-game beeper tunes aren't so hot, for obvious reasons. I seem to remember not hating Three Weeks in Paradise, although it did get super-repetitive.
  • The only 48k tune that didn't annoy me was Jack The Nipper 2, probably because there were so many other funny noises in there that it didn't get repetitive.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • The 128K hack of Commando has a good in-game tune.

• Most annoying in-game beeper music has to be Turmoil for me.

Best is Dynamite Dan 2. Lots of ditties that aren't a bit annoying.
    WIP Tritone Demo
  • Brian Bloodaxe has got a cute beeper version of 'The Liberty Bell' going during gameplay.
  • PopoCop wrote: »
    Whitesnake asked about music you can hear while playing. Ping Pong and Chronos have good music but not while playing.

Sorry i misread his comments! I'll go for 128K Sab 2 but it can get a bit annoying after a while.
  • I did love the manic miner music back in the day.
    One of the Monty Mole games played anthems when you entered certain screens - I remember thinking that was quite cool

That was Auf Wiederson Monty, another excellent game.
  • zx1 wrote: »
    I did love the manic miner music back in the day.

That was Auf Wiederson Monty, another excellent game.

Ah cheers! Yep, good game.

Morph mentioned Gilligans Gold, I must admit I did like that BEEPER tune.
  • For variety of beeper tunes, Geoff Capes Strongman did OK. And World Cup Football had variety too, though all of it ****.
  • Daren wrote: »
    The 128K hack of Commando has a good in-game tune.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) Are there any other worthwhile hacks that at AY music to 48k games?
  • edited August 2016
    I was wondering guys why is it that new ZX Spectrum games still don't feature in game music? even a 128k version with some nice chip tunes? Dead Flesh Boy would be really nice with chip tunes.

Edit: does anyone know if there is a 128K AY version of "Dizzy - The Ultimate Cartoon Adventure" with the same in game music as the Amstrad CPC version, perhaps a hack?
    Post edited by Whitesnake on
  • Whitesnake wrote: »
    I was wondering guys why is it that new ZX Spectrum games still don't feature in game music? even a 128k version with some nice chip tunes?

My guess is because

1. 128K music is implicitly considered an 'extra feature' unlike let's say beeper music. There are communities, typically non-English, where this (historically) isn't the case, but around these parts I'd say it is
    2. Somewhat harder to compose while much harder to keep the sound fresh and/or interesting; 'it all sounds the same'
  • 48k in game music is invariably horrible... 'Nosferatu' arghhh - at least you can turn it off.
    I had / have a 128k toastrack - I love the sound of the AY and tunes like THUNDERCATS with 'drums' etc ... and the melancholy 'THANATOS' tune... but they were not in-game.
    I remember the in game music of DEATH WISH 3 was cool... re-playing it the music is very short and looped - but it doesn't get annoying. The BUBBLE BOBBLE music was great - but made the graphics go wrong and crash.
    DRAGONIA - as mentioned - was very atmospheric... a game i played a lot.
    Nick wrote: »
    Dragonia has two in-game tunes - one fairly upbeat and a more siniste one when a roaming monster enters the same screen as you.
    When the monster enters the screen the music is pretty scary and puts you on edge as you try to get away.
    There are 3 tunes - as there are the shadowlands too... which have a different tune to the main theme.