Retro Computers

Both Chris Smith and Paul Andrews just left Retro Computers. Dr David Levy is now solely responsible for everything related to the VEGA console, including royalty payments to game authors (or donations to charity).

This is obviously unfortunate, since the VEGA implementation obviously came from Chris Smith's mind. I suspect it's likely there won't be any more design changes after VEGA+.

Even so, the VEGA/VEGA+ console still has my support. Even if this hardware won't continue to evolve anymore, it's still a great way to promote classic and modern Speccy games, and give incentive to our community activities. Unless there will be any "overturn" in the future to convince me otherwise, the reasons I stated above are still valid.
Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.

Comments

• What is your source? Is there a public link or something?
  • OK, I have read now the mailing. I wonder why they didn't want to make a public announcement.
  • This bears further investigation. I am quite worried by this.
  • Someone shared a link with me re: the mailing, but I don't have permission to share it. If Einar got the mail, he may want to share a screenshot.
  • I'm guessing they wouldn't want a public announcement since they're in the middle of the whole Vega+ thing. Wouldn't look good for business.

I really hope they've left for positive reasons. I know the Vega is a shadow of its older sibling but at least it was something made in Britain and did evolve the original hardware spec...
    Got a problem? Odds against you? Call the Equalizer. 212 555 4200
  • edited April 2016
    So they wouldnt want a public announcement yet its on here ? I dont get it
    Post edited by morcar on
  • reidrac wrote: »
    Someone shared a link with me re: the mailing, but I don't have permission to share it. If Einar got the mail, he may want to share a screenshot.

Today, Paul Andrews' company sent an email to everybody that licensed games to the VEGA console. In this email, the company notifies it won't manage game licensing royalties anymore. From now on, Retro Computers will manage them directly.

Even people donating these royalties to charity (like myself) received this email.

This email confirms only part of the news I published above.
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
    Thanked by 1reidrac
  • edited April 2016
    morcar wrote: »
    So they wouldnt want a public announcement yet its on here ? I dont get it

So far, the only public announcement has been about which is the company managing royalty payments. See my last post above.
    Post edited by Einar Saukas on
  • I got in touch with Retro Computers. They told me they don't have an official announcement yet, but they plan to release one soon.
    Thanked by 1morcar
  • I hadn't realised that they were making royalty payments for the games now. How is that even calculated?
  • reidrac wrote: »

It essentially reproduces what I wrote, but adding words "surprise" and "shock" for dramatical effect :)

Except I didn't know the exact date when they left. That's new information.
  • I think it's a bit off updating Indiegogo camapign yesterday and not saying that two of the main architects of project had resigned 5 days previous.... and still accepting pledges when goalposts had (potentially) moved. Sad to see they've been whitewashed from Vega campaigns (original & current) pages.
  • edited April 2016
    Maybe Paul is too busy writing a sequel to his best selling series of 50 great cleaning tips books and other great titles. Get them while you can!

paulandrews.tv/projects

https://amazon.co.uk/dp/B004R1Q84U/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_Ao8dxbRPYGBHZ

His LinkedIn page confirms he has indeed moved on.

Seriously though, maybe they should be looking at refunds as two of the project leads have gone, and we could be looking at another Vega disaster.
    Post edited by jonesypeter on
  • Maybe Alan Sugar is about to step in and pump things up again.

Hope it all goes well though.

• Sky still own the ZX Spectrum.CO.UK domain..
  • Wow, you really can't make this up. There's a handheld C64 on Indiegogo and guess who's working on it! :-O

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/
    I play core war and do a bit of retro programming.
    I have a few Speccy games for sale on eBay.
  • JasonUK wrote: »
    I think it's a bit off updating Indiegogo camapign yesterday and not saying that two of the main architects of project had resigned 5 days previous.... and still accepting pledges when goalposts had (potentially) moved. Sad to see they've been whitewashed from Vega campaigns (original & current) pages.

Retro Computers immediately updated their web site to reflect this change. This is actually a good sign: it would have been unethical to continue accepting pledges using the names of people that are not in the company anymore. Do you know any corporation that keeps the name of an ex-CEO, ex-CTO, etc in their web sites?

About "whitewashing" their names, it would have been better if they were removed from current page but added instead to some new "history" page about past contributors. However I don't know the circumstances of their departure, perhaps they don't want their names to be associated with Retro Computers anymore? Or perhaps Retro Computers is going to do something like this, but didn't have the time to prepare it yet?

There's also the fact I certainly hushed everything when I posted the news here. I contacted Retro Computers AFTER posting it here, and I was told they are preparing a public announcement. I got the impression they were taken by surprise that someone already knew about it, before they had the time for a proper PR announcement. From exchanging a couple emails, I also got the impression they have been too busy preparing VEGA+ production while apparently hiring new people. Perhaps that's the reason they are taking so long to handle the PR issues.
  • impomatic wrote: »
    Wow, you really can't make this up. There's a handheld C64 on Indiegogo and guess who's working on it! :-O

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

And they're giving the new C64 a proper keyboard and HDMI... If they can do it for The 64, why not for the Vega? :-(
    I play core war and do a bit of retro programming.
    I have a few Speccy games for sale on eBay.
  • Seriously though, maybe they should be looking at refunds as two of the project leads have gone

Apparently they left after most (all?) of the design work was ready. At least Retro Computers is continuing to work as if that's the case, although I cannot vouch for it myself obviously.
    and we could be looking at another Vega disaster.

Do you mean the kind of disaster where people that pledged on VEGA really received this device exactly as advertised? Let's hope VEGA+ will be an identical "disaster"!

Less than 15% of crowdfunded tech projects reach their goal. It means a lot of people wish their projects had a "failure" like VEGA.
  • Wow, you really can't make this up. There's a handheld C64 on Indiegogo and guess who's working on it!

Dansolo and Merman?
  • looking at refunds

That's not how investing in a crowdfunding scheme works...
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • guesser wrote: »
    looking at refunds

That's not how investing in a crowdfunding scheme works...

I appreciate how crowdfunding works. During the initial campaign period you could have arranged a refund, but at this stage it is up to Retro Computers what they do. I'm just saying that some people may have gone ahead with the purchase based on the people behind it (and the now defunct video).

• edited April 2016
    Seriously though, maybe they should be looking at refunds as two of the project leads have gone

Apparently they left after most (all?) of the design work was ready. At least Retro Computers is continuing to work as if that's the case, although I cannot vouch for it myself obviously.
    and we could be looking at another Vega disaster.

Do you mean the kind of disaster where people that pledged on VEGA really received this device exactly as advertised? Let's hope VEGA+ will be an identical "disaster"!

Less than 15% of crowdfunded tech projects reach their goal. It means a lot of people wish their projects had a "failure" like VEGA.

Hi Einar, I think your misunderstanding me. My point I was trying to make was that the original Vega (Whilst it did deliver what was promised, was not a success in terms of reviews and general feedback (especially in relation to the keyboard and the complication and delay with the mappings). I don't know what the sales were like once the crowdfunding was over, but you don't see a huge amount of talk about them on WoS, and the fact this is now a sub forum I think says something. (By the way , I agree it should NOT be under new game ideas)

Of course I hope the Vega+ is a success and comes out as advertised. I invested in one, so to think otherwise would be nonsense. Lets hope they bring in new team members who can take things forward.

I think any speculation now is a waste of time, and we should wait for the official announcement.

• My point I was trying to make was that the original Vega (Whilst it did deliver what was promised

My point is, delivering what was promised is the definition of success for a crowdfunded project.
    was not a success in terms of reviews

It got mixed reviews. If you judge it based on reviews, it was neither a success nor a failure.
    and general feedback (especially in relation to the keyboard and the complication and delay with the mappings).

I was among the first members in this forum to criticize the original VEGA about limited number of keys and to suggest support for an external PS2 keyboard. Look up my first posts about it. Like many others, I also wished for more.

Despite my criticisms, I decided to support it due to the positive effects this project would have for the Speccy community. But I was surprised when it reached its goal in just over a day, and glad it delivered everything as promised. Thus a big success.
    I don't know what the sales were like once the crowdfunding was over

It wasn't sold once the crowdfunding was over. Instead, Retro Computers designed VEGA+ afterwards, which got even better sales in an even more successful crowdfunding campaign.
    but you don't see a huge amount of talk about them on WoS

Check the thread about games that Jonathan created specifically for VEGA. Or the thread providing keymaps for games not bundled into VEGA. Or the long thread about VEGA release.
    and the fact this is now a sub forum I think says something.

Does it say something else besides the fact it was created in the wrong sub-section by mistake?
  • Of course I hope the Vega+ is a success and comes out as advertised. I invested in one, so to think otherwise would be nonsense. Lets hope they bring in new team members who can take things forward.

Agreed.
    I think any speculation now is a waste of time, and we should wait for the official announcement.

Agreed!
  • edited April 2016
    I still suggest it was a failure. The majority of reviews were negative.. You misread the point that it's a sub topic, not a main topic.

You should not fuel the fire before the company releases an official statement.

Also you are moving away from the focus in that we all hope the plus continue s and is a success in terms of what is produced.
  • It wasn't sold once the crowdfunding was over. Instead, Retro Computers designed VEGA+ afterwards, which got even better sales in an even more successful crowdfunding campaign.

Sorry, but at least some units found its way to Spain. They're sold on Game, and you can see it here:

https://www.game.es/dispositivos/varios/electronica/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega/121610

I don't know if they bought them during the crowdfunding (it would be a complete surprise), but they're still at sale.

I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • You should not fuel the fire before the company releases an official statement.

Also you are moving away from the focus in that we all hope the plus continue s and is a success in terms of what is produced.

OK, perhaps I misunderstood your position when you wrote "maybe they should be looking at refunds as two of the project leads have gone, and we could be looking at another Vega disaster". I'm glad to see you recommend to avoid fueling the fire and you hope for their success.
    Thanked by 1jonesypeter
  • Zup wrote: »
    It wasn't sold once the crowdfunding was over. Instead, Retro Computers designed VEGA+ afterwards, which got even better sales in an even more successful crowdfunding campaign.

Sorry, but at least some units found its way to Spain. They're sold on Game, and you can see it here:

https://www.game.es/dispositivos/varios/electronica/sinclair-zx-spectrum-vega/121610

I don't know if they bought them during the crowdfunding (it would be a complete surprise), but they're still at sale.

I was aware of a few crowdfunders reselling it. Even a few cases of crowdfunders putting it for sale for higher prices, without even opening the box, trying to make a profit.

AFAIK Retro Computers never sold it directly.