Retro Computers

Comments

• impomatic wrote: »
    Wow, you really can't make this up. There's a handheld C64 on Indiegogo and guess who's working on it! :-O

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-64-computer-and-handheld-console#/

I really like that, looks very impressive.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Retro computers Limited are delighted to announce two outstanding additions to our company's management team, with immediate effect: Dr Janko Mrsic-Flogel and Suzanne Martin.

With the additional expertise and energy that these two will be bringing to the company, Retro Computers Ltd will be moving rapidly forward to put the Vega+ games console into production.
  • Nothing about Chris Smith and Paul Andrews? That's disappointing!
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • Based on a VERY quick Google search before running out to work, Janko worked on QL titles.
    Suzanne appears to have been connected to Retro in some way from last year:

http://www.smselectronics.co.uk/archive/2015/1/
    (Right at the end)
    Thanked by 1Gamerjay
  • edited April 2016
    1024MAK wrote: »

If Retro Computers was also selling the original VEGA directly, that's actually good news. It means a few thousands more people have been playing classic and modern Speccy games outside our regular community!
    Post edited by Einar Saukas on
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm just saying that some people may have gone ahead with the purchase based on the people behind it (and the now defunct video).

What purchase?
    Post edited by guesser on
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • Based on a VERY quick Google search before running out to work, Janko worked on QL titles.
    I remember his name. He did the terrible BJ platform games.

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • edited April 2016
    guesser wrote: »
    I'm just saying that some people may have gone ahead with the purchase based on the people behind it (and the now defunct video).

What purchase?

We are Mr pedantic today aren't we -) I'm sure you know what I mean, but just for your benefit (and yours only).

People may have chosen to back the project based on the people behind it and the now defunct video.

I hope that meets your approval sir....
    Post edited by jonesypeter on
  • If the people who backed it, get the item(s) and service(s) stated in on the crowd funded web site page, I don't see the problem. The personnel of a company can change for various reasons. Unless and until we know more, there can only be speculation.

Mark
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    If the people who backed it, get the item(s) and service(s) stated in on the crowd funded web site page, I don't see the problem.

Lets be totally clear here. A crowd-funding campaign may succeed and raise all the funds it was aiming for but the actual project still run out of money and fail for any number of reasons. So long as it's not a case of fraud where the campaign succeeds and the organisers just run off with the money there is still no problem.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • I could not avoid wondering if Chris Smith will now resume development of isometric games... which brought me to start this thread.
  • I actually haven't backed the Vega+ yet, so I don't have any real stake in it. But I do want it to succeed nevertheless. I hope Retro Computers knows what it's doing and have reliable and knowledgeable people lead the project now. I also totally like the full keyboard C64 project. Wonder why they didn't take that route with the Speccy?
  • Arjun wrote: »
    I actually haven't backed the Vega+ yet, so I don't have any real stake in it. But I do want it to succeed nevertheless. I hope Retro Computers knows what it's doing and have reliable and knowledgeable people lead the project now. I also totally like the full keyboard C64 project. Wonder why they didn't take that route with the Speccy?

It is a different team apparently. If they go with the C64DTV route with an ASIC, it is very interesting... but some rumours say it could be based on an ARM SOC (Raspberry Pi or similar), or more like the VEGA approach.

Anyway, a shame they don't provide more information and a full spec.
  • edited April 2016
    I'm copying my post from the Retro-Computers forum
    Slightly concerned that when you look up Suzanne Martin you can't really find anything at all? What experience does this person have within the retro world? I've not backed the Vega+ yet after the numerous delays with the first but I hope they are offering refunds for any concerned as they've very hush hush over this whole parting of company... also the Retro-Computers website is now down!
    Post edited by Gamerjay on
  • Einar, how do you know that you are actually receiving some royalties?

I emailed them my PayPal account email address more than two months ago, but so far I received absolutely nothing.
  • Gamerjay wrote: »
    Slightly concerned that when you look up Suzanne Martin you can't really find anything at all? What experience does this person have within the retro world?

She's obviously a PR professional. I don't think that's a role where retro experience is very relevant.
  • Einar, how do you know that you are actually receiving some royalties?

I don't. Royalties from all my licensed games will go to charity so I'm not supposed to receive anything anyway.
    I emailed them my PayPal account email address more than two months ago, but so far I received absolutely nothing.

Did you try to contact them directly to ask? If you don't get an answer in the next few days, let me know and I will check it myself.
    Slightly concerned that when you look up Suzanne Martin you can't really find anything at all? What experience does this person have within the retro world?

She's obviously a PR professional. I don't think that's a role where retro experience is very relevant.

She now has the role of MD of Retro-Computers, so surely it is very relevant!

She now has the role of MD of Retro-Computers, so surely it is very relevant!

Sorry it means I was wrong when I guessed her background!

Even so, this is mostly a business management position so I don't think retro experience is very relevant. If every technical detail about VEGA+ was already designed, and they just need to supervise production, they don't really need any specific expertise, only good management.

I'm skeptical about their capacity to design another console after VEGA+ (as I mentioned in my original post) but that's a different issue.
  • edited April 2016
    Interesting that C64 campaign! Description does have some BS though:

At the core of THE 64 is a low cost, high power ARM Cortex SoC, which provides all the modern interfaces demanded by today’s consumers. This has clear advantages for the consumer. Creating a software/hardware hybrid machine allows THE 64 to be both affordable and flexible, and delivers a product that can expand to meet users future needs. A pure hardware implementation, on the other hand, fixes the specification at design time, and we feel that this is too limiting a solution and a substantial risk. Gate arrays are too costly to give an economic solution.
    If by "gate array" they meant custom silicon, then yeah: nobody would use that unless you expect to sell several 100k units or more. But ehm... the modern alternative for this is called FPGA.

In other words: "a $20 FPGA is too expensive, instead we'll use a $3 SoC to build this $150 machine around". Or: "modern interfaces hooked up to an FPGA isn't flexible enough, so instead we'll use an ARM-based SoC on which those interfaces come hardwired". :P

Not that I'm bashing their choice of an ARM SoC for this: whatever works for end users, and does the job well. But to be clear: no custom gate array needed. And neither cost nor flexibility is a valid reason for not going FPGA route if building a >$100 device.
    Difficulty-of-designing with it might be. I suspect that ARM developers are a whole lot easier to find than FPGA designers.
    Post edited by RetroTechie on
  • I must confess that I was excited. I mean, the keyboard looks really nice; but now that is pretty clear that is just an emulator... oh, well. I already have an emulator.
  • The Retro Computers website isn't working for me now :(
  • They are working to get it restored. I can't go into details, but RC are not at fault here.

D.
  • Ok phew :)
  • At the core of THE 64 is a low cost, high power ARM Cortex SoC, which provides all the modern interfaces demanded by today’s consumers. This has clear advantages for the consumer. Creating a software/hardware hybrid machine allows THE 64 to be both affordable and flexible, and delivers a product that can expand to meet users future needs. A pure hardware implementation, on the other hand, fixes the specification at design time, and we feel that this is too limiting a solution and a substantial risk. Gate arrays are too costly to give an economic solution.

My translation to plain english:

This is a Raspberry Pi con a custom case. We are going to port any emulator to bare metal so you can't use any other thing on this machine and we can sell it at a higher price.

BTW, don't think about Neo Geo X Gold. Although it's also a bare metal emulatore, we're way cooler than they.
    I was there, too
    An' you know what they said?
    Well, some of it was true!
  • reidrac wrote: »
    I mean, the keyboard looks really nice; but now that is pretty clear that is just an emulator...

You mean, like the Vega?

Sorry, couldn't resist.
  • Dunny wrote: »
    They are working to get it restored. I can't go into details, but RC are not at fault here.

D.
    I can't see any announcements anywhere on the internet so how do you know who is at fault? Please share your source of information. Also how long does it take to 'fix' a website as it's totally down now!
    Dunny wrote: »
    They are working to get it restored. I can't go into details, but RC are not at fault here.

I can't see any announcements anywhere on the internet so how do you know who is at fault? Please share your source of information. Also how long does it take to 'fix' a website as it's totally down now!

Well, I work for them. How's that for a source?

D.
  • So if you work for Retro Computers and you say it's not their fault, then who's fault is it then?