Had enough

After approaching another weekend full of enthusiasm towards WoS and how it's heading, and spending most of it fighting spam and online abuse, I have with a heavy heart decided it's not worth the hassle. It's a lot of work and expense that is done for love - and it's love that's not there anymore. Therefore, I will continue to fund and host the site and forums for 8 weeks whilst a replacement is found. At that point I will be ending my support for the site.
I do wish it hadn't come to this but I can't be bothered to fight nick and his cronies in every corner of the web. I'll answer any questions relating to hosting and the work needed to keep WoS going.
My test signature

Comments

• Can I ask how much it costs to host? if you don't want to say in public you can message me.
  • Sorry to hear this Lee. We may not have seen eye to eye all the time, but I have the upmost respect for the work you have done let's hope WoS does not die, otherwise the haters will have got what they wanted.
  • We're currently working on a couple of possible avenues of survival but it's early days yet. So we'll see.

I hope NickH and his cronies/puppets/ alter-egos are proud of themselves...
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Sorry to hear Lee! :(

Personally - I appreciate all the work, effort and energy you put into this site!

• Hello Lee

I'm very sorry to hear that you are upset. I love World of Spectrum. And want it to continue.
    I do hope you change your mind. Despite various people making unhelpful comments, I feel you put a lot of hard work into this, even though there was some moaning because some could not see any visible changes.

It will be a sad day if the trouble makers win and World of Spectrum dies.

I am not a professional software engineer like you, but if there is anyway I can help, please do let me know. If you would like help with the cost, that is something I can help with (#1). Or if you need another moderator to help manage the site or deal with trouble makers, again that is something I may be able to help with. If it is about defending World of Spectrum on other sites, let us help you with that. Send the details to trusted WoSF members.

I do hope you will sleep on it and reconsider in the morning.

But even if you don't, I still say, thank you for all your efforts and hard work. As without you, World of Spectrum would have been just a memory of a dead web site.

Mark

#1 some other forums and sites welcome donations to help with the costs, the system is normally simply a way of handling donations.
  • So sorry to read this Lee. I wish you all the very best for whatever you do in the future. A sad day, but there's only so much a person can take, and the burden is heavy.
    Cheers for all you have done for us., I hope you stick around in the backgroud. Maybe one day WoS will shine again.
  • We're not dead yet Andrew!!!
  • I've got no intention of letting the site die....
    My test signature
  • Wish I could help you out. Very angry with certain people responsible.
    No one important.
  • Good to hear it'll continue. The forums are just too valuable to lose.
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Thank you to all involved in the resurrection of WoS.
    I love this site and I for one; really appreciate your time and efforts in maintaining it.
    Thank you. All the best with keeping it going.
  • Anything I can do to help just drop me an email. WoS ain't going anywhere with everyone here to help :)
    So far, so meh :)
  • Gutted. :((
  • I was worried with all this trouble that this might be the outcome. It is indeed sad that some folkes can be so mean to bring this about. I'd like to say 'Don't let the bastards win' but I know its more complex an issue than that.

I wish you all the best Lee and hope was can continue and am willing to help out in what ever way I can.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • Therefore, I will continue to fund and host the site and forums for 8 weeks whilst a replacement is found.

Hi Lee. I found this discussion thread because it was linked to on reddit. If you're looking for an alternative then I suggest /r/zxspectrum.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/zxspectrum

I am a moderator of the subreddit and since reddit communities can scale infinitely (and are free) it would be no problem for everyone to come over there. Any of your moderators would be welcome to moderate our subreddit.

Another benefit of being hosted on reddit is that we have the full force of reddit's built-in anti-spam measures already in place. That said, we get little spam, and what spam we do get is killed mercilessly within minutes.

I'd be happy to help any user get acquainted with the platform, or any moderator acquainted with the moderation tools. At it's core, it's basically a discussion and content sharing forum.

I'll try and keep an eye on this thread, or you can send me a modmail to /r/zxspectrum on reddit.
  • Zadoc wrote: »
    I'd be happy to help any user get acquainted with the platform, or any moderator acquainted with the moderation tools. At it's core, it's basically a discussion and content sharing forum.
    Reddit is a terrible platform though, IMHO.
    ...and there is a thread called "Jet Set Willy, ZX Spectrum - Overlooked Oldies". Was that thread started by someone who hasn't used their Spectrum since the first time they turned theirs on in 1984? LOL.

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • World of Spectrum has been moribund for over two years, folks. Anyone who stops that rot now is okay with me.
  • Sokurah wrote: »
    Reddit is a terrible platform though, IMHO.

It's a lot more advanced than old school forums. It has a lot more functionality and a lot more powerful tools. Moderators also have support from the actual company, the reddit admins. Trolls and spam are dealt with swiftly and without mercy. It has none of the problems of a forum platform, it's free, has free support, and even a free bot. Spammers and trolls do not last. They wouldn't even be seen. But I'd let them think they were, just so they don't keep trying to break through in other ways.

The only other difference between a subreddit community and a forum community is that content rises and falls based on popularity and time, not when someone bumps it. Otherwise, it's the same basic principle.

Sokurah wrote: »
    ...and there is a thread called "Jet Set Willy, ZX Spectrum - Overlooked Oldies". Was that thread started by someone who hasn't used their Spectrum since the first time they turned theirs on in 1984? LOL.

Lot of Americans on reddit who are just discovering Speccy for the first time, either through collecting or emulation. Nothing wrong with that. /r/zxspectrum is a pretty tolerant community. Reddit is only the number 27 website in the world, but it's number nine in the U.S., so there's a lot of U.S. traffic.

That said, as a moderator of /r/zxspectrum I'd allow the worldofspectrum users to moderate the sub and set the policies. That is only if this forum goes away, which I hope it does not.
  • Hi,

It's sad news, but understandable. You've been working for free at the same time dealt with 'experts' in web development and impatience in the forums.

So, if no replacement is found, the whole WOS site will go offline in eight weeks?

Regards.
  • Sorry to hear that
    I appreciate all the hard work all of you did.
    For me i really enjoy the site and forums
    i really hope you reconsider as there are a lot of us who do appreciate the work all of you
    have done voluntarily.
  • I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole...
    Thanked by 1Sokurah
  • Lee, the best way to "fight online abuse" is to ignore it.

Sticks and stones.
    Thanked by 11024MAK
  • edited July 2016
    karingal wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole...

Please name one thing you find objectionable about /r/zxspectrum.
    Post edited by Zadoc on
    I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole...

Please name one thing you find objectionable about /r/zxspectrum.
    Everything down the right hand side of the page...
  • edited July 2016

The first of those is a link to this forum. And has been for over four years.

Pretty sure you're just trolling.

Post edited by Zadoc on

He means the advertisements.

Whoah!! Trolling?

You've been here 2 minutes and you're already accusing the admin of trolling?

How to win friends and influence people...

• Actually, I can't see a link at the top right hand side for WoS :-S
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    Zadoc wrote: »

He means the advertisements.
    Exactly!!!!
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    Actually, I can't see a link at the top right hand side for WoS :-S

Now you can.

http://i.imgur.com/JTMDvhQ.jpg