Had enough

2456721

Comments

  • I reiterate...

    I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • edited July 2016
    karingal wrote: »

    Whoah!! Trolling?

    You're definitely trolling me if you find anything objectionable in our sidebar.

    karingal wrote: »

    Exactly!!!!

    Sorry, no. /r/zxspectrum does not have ads, and subreddits are forbidden from running ads. Communities that run ads violate reddit's terms of service.

    /r/zxspectrum is a member of a network of other retro gaming subreddits, and in the very upper right is the links to other member subs.

    http://i.imgur.com/Bpm1EEc.jpg

    It's a way that several retro gaming communities stick together, by sharing links, just like how we link to this very forum in our sidebar.

    If you find that communities about NES, Mega Drive, Amstrad, and others to be objectionable, then you're right. Our community is not for you, because it is welcoming to fans of other platforms.

    Reddit also allows for communities to run sitewide and targets ads, but if you're logged in you can disable that. I wouldn't recommend that one do so because it helps other communities, like fans of ZX Spectrum. But it's up to the individual user.

    Edit:
    karingal wrote: »

    I reiterate...

    I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole.

    Confirmed troll.

    When asked what you find objectionable about our commuity you say the entire sidebar, which is only filled with useful information and links.

    http://i.imgur.com/sb7aZKW.jpg

    It is the basic definition of trolling when an honest question is answered with a baseless attack.
    Post edited by Zadoc on
  • edited July 2016
    If we moved to reddit would we not loose all the posts here. I have been trying to get my head around Sprites and have been looking back at posts from 2007! If WoS does go even a frozen forum would help.
    Post edited by jonesypeter on
  • I looked at the redit site, and I definitely saw adverts....
    My test signature
  • If we moved to reddit would we not loose all the posts here. I have been trying to get my head around Sprites and have been looking back at posts from 2007! If WoS does go even a frozen forum would help.

    You would for sure. I cannot offer an archive. I can just offer a free forum that's free of spam.
  • For what it's worth, this site is largely the reason I do stuff with and for the speccy. I'd be really sad to see it go. The community has been extremely helpful (and switft at it) even when I've been insistent on being wrong about things =). It would be truly sad if a bad apple or two brought it down.

    I understand what it's like to lose motivation over negative comments. I have several projects that died because of negative feedback, even though they should not have affected me so. Some I keep promising myself to go back to, others are completely dead. I've also received lots of positive feedback for the same projects, but somehow the negatives weight more, even though they shouldn't.
    http://iki.fi/sol | http://iki.fi/sol/speccy/ | https://github.com/jarikomppa/speccy
    http://goo.gl/q2j0NZ - make ZX Spectrum choose your own adventure games, no programming needed (release 3)
  • edited July 2016
    I looked at the redit site, and I definitely saw adverts....

    Reddit has sitewide ads targeted ads, that are either from the community or a sponsor. Members can turn those off in preferences, or you can run whatever your favorite adblock is. I personally leave them on because 80 percent of them are ads for other communities. /r/zxspectrum even participates in one such ad. Edit: Also, I leave the sponsored ones on to support reddit. It's no small thing to have support from admins when dealing with people who are trolling, doxxinng, and spamming. They even provide a free bot. No out of pocket hosting costs. They let us run our communities for free, so a small sidebar ad doesn't bother me. But that's up to the individual user.

    /r/zxspecturm does not run its own ads because that it against the terms of service.
    Post edited by Zadoc on
  • Hey, calm down. Only one person has said that they don't like reddit. Everyone is entitled to their own views. So karingal does not like reddit. That does not mean he is a troll.

    Yes, the stuff on the right hand side is not commercial adverts. But various links etc. But something does not have to be a paid for item to be called an advert. So they could be classed as adverts because they are advertising other parts of the web site. I personally don't mind web sites advertising other parts of the same site. However, it would be nice if a logged in user can change the layout of these sections (as in move them so that I can have more screen width for the items that interest me. Is this possible?

    Mark
  • Sol_HSA wrote: »
    For what it's worth, this site is largely the reason I do stuff with and for the speccy. I'd be really sad to see it go. The community has been extremely helpful (and switft at it) even when I've been insistent on being wrong about things =). It would be truly sad if a bad apple or two brought it down.

    I understand what it's like to lose motivation over negative comments. I have several projects that died because of negative feedback, even though they should not have affected me so. Some I keep promising myself to go back to, others are completely dead. I've also received lots of positive feedback for the same projects, but somehow the negatives weight more, even though they shouldn't.

    I agree. The community support, especially with development is fantastic.

  • edited July 2016
    KD4rnXy.jpg

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    You left that bit off your image, that appears to be an ad.

    YOU are the troll...
    Post edited by rich_chandler on
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • A sad day, yet one I've felt inevitable for a while given the abuse and "advice" Lee has had to put up with ever since he took over WoS. I hope everyone involved is very happy with themselves. Lee's certainly had a lot more patience with it than I would ever have had.

    On the bright side it's given the know-it-all rockstar database/web developers who can knock up data-driven, fully administrable websites in a couple of days the perfect opportunity to show off their skills.

    @Zadoc: You might want to get rid of the Sinclair User link - that site hasn't been online for a good while now. You can link to mine if you wish (see sig) - that has all the reviews up to and including SU 45.
  • edited July 2016
    Again, I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole.
    Post edited by rich_chandler on
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    Hey, calm down. Only one person has said that they don't like reddit. Everyone is entitled to their own views. So karingal does not like reddit. That does not mean he is a troll.

    Yes, the stuff on the right hand side is not commercial adverts. But various links etc. But something does not have to be a paid for item to be called an advert. So they could be classed as adverts because they are advertising other parts of the web site. I personally don't mind web sites advertising other parts of the same site. However, it would be nice if a logged in user can change the layout of these sections (as in move them so that I can have more screen width for the items that interest me. Is this possible?

    Mark

    Well, if any link we put in the sidebar is an ad, then yeah, we provide free advertising for worldofspectrum.org. ;)

    Yes, if you're logged in you can disable the sitewide ads in the preferences. You can also use whatever your favorite adblock plugin is. However, that will not disable any free links that the community has decided to place in their sidebar.
  • Vampyre wrote: »
    @Zadoc: You might want to get rid of the Sinclair User link - that site hasn't been online for a good while now. You can link to mine if you wish (see sig) - that has all the reviews up to and including SU 45.

    I changed it to the source in your sig. Thanks.

  • edited July 2016
    karingal wrote: »
    KD4rnXy.jpg

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

    You left that bit off your image, that appears to be an ad.

    YOU are the troll...


    Jeez.

    "In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement."

    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

    You were asked a direct question about a specific problem you had with our community. Unable to produce one, you said our entire sidebar. Our sidebar is made up entirely of useful information and links, including a link to this very website. I am going to remind you that you didn't say "ads." Another user did, and you sized the excuse.

    I've explained twice now that you can disable sidebar ads either through the preferences or with your favorite adblock. Again, I want to point out that you didn't come to that conclusion until someone else said it. :/

    Further, I didn't cut anything out except for my moderation tools, which the public cannot see.

    http://i.imgur.com/EWRkIIb.jpg

    The sidebar ads change from click to click, from refresh to refresh. So when I took my screencap it was for the /r/oldnews community.

    If your only problem with our community is that there are sidebar ads that show sometimes, then that's disingenuous, trollish behavior. I am pretty sure everyone can see that. First, it's not something that the community controls, and second it's something that the user can control with the methods I've previously described.

    Edit: It further proves that you're trolling when you're repeating the same trolling statement over and over without explaination:

    "Again, I wouldn't touch reddit with a ten foot pole."

    So, what's your real issue with /r/zxspectrum?

    If it's just the sidebar ads, why don't you just turn them off or use an adblocker?
    Post edited by Zadoc on
  • Kringle, you haven't even got a ten foot pole.

    Zadoc: Just ignore us, we're an acquired taste and there's no malice intended. But maybe a little teeny bit of trolling, we're good at that.
  • Zadoc. Just because one user disagrees with you, is that a reason to call them.a troll. We are a free country and can all air our own views in a respectful manner.

    Anyway we are at danger of taking this way off topic.

    Reddit gets a no from me for the archive reasons above.

  • Reddit gets a no from me for the archive reasons above.

    That's a fair reason.

    But to your previous statement, the user didn't disagree with me. There was nothing to disagree with. The user said she had a problem with our community because of our entire sidebar. When pressed for an answer she could not produce one.


    Dunny wrote: »

    Zadoc: Just ignore us, we're an acquired taste and there's no malice intended. But maybe a little teeny bit of trolling, we're good at that.

    lol, okay, man. :)

  • After approaching another weekend full of enthusiasm towards WoS and how it's heading, and spending most of it fighting spam and online abuse, I have with a heavy heart decided it's not worth the hassle. It's a lot of work and expense that is done for love - and it's love that's not there anymore. Therefore, I will continue to fund and host the site and forums for 8 weeks whilst a replacement is found. At that point I will be ending my support for the site.
    I do wish it hadn't come to this but I can't be bothered to fight nick and his cronies in every corner of the web. I'll answer any questions relating to hosting and the work needed to keep WoS going.

    Hi Lee, I am the owner of Vintage is The New Old and Commodore is Awesome. I believe there will be many people offering to keep WoS running, but I am very interested in taking over the site. If you wish to talk about it, you can do here or PM me. Since I am already running both sites in my dedicated host, one more wouldn't be a problem and it would be interesting to have all under one umbrella.

    I know how do you feel about the hassles and I believe I am already shielded from the many years I am doing it. Unfortunately, any bad comment or trolling is a lot to take when you are doing something out of love.

    Let me know if you want to talk

    Thanks

    Paulo
  • Zadoc wrote: »
    But to your previous statement, the user didn't disagree with me. There was nothing to disagree with. The user said she had a problem with our community because of our entire sidebar. When pressed for an answer she could not produce one.
    Who the F**K is she?

    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • Technical question, is it possible to backup all forum posts from vanilla? Perhaps for importing into another forum? Saying that, vanilla is growing on me.
    No one important.
  • karingal wrote: »
    Zadoc wrote: »

    Who the F**K is she?

    You? Your username is Karin Gal.
  • edited July 2016
    Zadoc wrote: »
    karingal wrote: »
    Zadoc wrote: »

    Who the F**K is she?

    You? Your username is Karin Gal.
    No it's not...

    You run a forum and you can't read..

    Or are you trolling again?
    Post edited by rich_chandler on
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • karingal wrote: »


    No it's not...



    http://i.imgur.com/nOXVdJZ.gif

    It says "karingal." Karin is typically a woman's name, and "gal" generally means "girl."

    You're pretty super hostile for basically no reasons.





  • Zadoc wrote: »
    karingal wrote: »


    No it's not...



    http://i.imgur.com/nOXVdJZ.gif

    It says "karingal." Karin is typically a woman's name, and "gal" generally means "girl."

    You're pretty super hostile for basically no reasons.




    I'm pretty hostile due to your constant trolling.

    When I posted elsewhere that the moderation on WoS was pretty lenient, I didn't mean THAT lenient...

    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • polomintpolomint
    waits for the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /me waits for the BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So far, so meh :)
  • edited July 2016
    @Zadoc - karingal is a moderator here. If he is getting excited about being called a girl, well, can you blame him!
    Besides, it is bad practice to make assumptions purely based on a forum name. It can get you into all sorts of trouble...

    Mark
    Post edited by 1024MAK on
  • Yep, I'm just a hole... lol
    So far, so meh :)





  • The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • polomint wrote: »
    Yep, I'm just a hole... lol

    In one? Or just a black one?
Sign In or Register to comment.