Had enough

Comments

• Ooo! We may, just may be drifting a wee bit off topic :))

SAVE World of Spectrum is what I say!

There, that feels better :)

Mark
  • Just for the record: I'm neither scottish, nor a tiny french dog :P
    As for the Reddit option, I don't like not allowing to import previous posts.
    And I guess wverybody would have to re-register into Reddit in order to use the system. And there is a chance a user name there is already taken.
    And.... what will happen with the archive, infoseek, and everything else besides the forum?
  • edited July 2016
    1024MAK wrote: »
    @Zadoc - karingal is a moderator here. If he is getting excited about being called a girl, well, can you blame him!

Yes, because I am not sexist. It happens to me all of the time and I usually don't even say anything. I don't even have a girl's name in my username or have the word gal in my name. I also don't know anyone who would be offended by that. Most women I know who are online are usually assumed to be men. It's not a big deal.

It's further a perfectly reasonable assumption to assume that a person with a username like "KarinGal" is female, just as it would be if someone's username was "mynameisjessicaandimagirl."

He is just a troll looking for any excuse.

Point in case, @karingal commented, "You run a forum and you can't read.." That's obviously one of the lowest troll statements a person can make when they're communicating with someone via a written medium. This guy volunteers for a forum and is and trolls users. That in the very least makes a community pretty unwelcoming.

Either way, rescind my original offer. If WoS does need a place to go, /r/ZXSpectrum can take all users, and we'll take any mod except for that one. Trolls have no place on mod teams. That person's behavior is so unacceptable for a moderator that I feel embarrassed by it.
    Post edited by Zadoc on
  • So, um... crisps, eh?
  • Zadoc wrote: »
    It's further a perfectly reasonable assumption to assume that a person with a username like "KarinGal" is female, just as it would be if someone's username was "mynameisjessicaandimagirl."
    Rubbish. Perhaps if the 'G' had been capitalized - but it isn't.
    Personally, a female connection has never occurred to me. Not even once.
    So most likely: it's all in your head.

That he just so happens to be a bit of a big girls blouse - that's something else entirely. :D
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Sokurah wrote: »
    That he just so happens to be a bit of a big girls blouse - that's something else entirely. :D
    Thanks for that!!!!

I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • That's gotta be one of the swiftest swings of the ban hammer from someone who didn't post dodgy content...
  • We're trying to save WoS, not encourage more trolls!!!!
  • karingal wrote: »
    Sokurah wrote: »
    Thanks for that!!!!
    Don't take it seriously - it wasn't meant to be. I have no beef with you.

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Marko wrote: »
    So, um... crisps, eh?

Mmmmmmmmm, Buffy.
    The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."
  • Sokurah wrote: »
    karingal wrote: »
    Sokurah wrote: »
    Thanks for that!!!!
    Don't take it seriously - it wasn't meant to be. I have no beef with you.
    I know, and I would never take it personally.
    I think after all these years I can interpret when you're joking and when you're not.

• So, are we moving to redit or not?
    My test signature
  • So, are we moving to redit or not?
    Only if there's the ability to take the forum data/history and the entire WoS archive...

What? You means there's not?

No, we're not moving...
  • If WoS does close, how about SMLNWL.org

(Shoot, My Life's Not Worth Living)
  • I'm gonna have to buy popcorn on the way home.... :D
    So far, so meh :)
  • karingal wrote: »
    We're trying to save WoS, not encourage more trolls!!!!

I honestly wasn't criticising, although in fairness it probably didn't come across that way!

One of the things that might be useful is some info on what WoS actually takes up so some costs could be weighed up. There are undoubtedly some users who have access to Web/Database Servers and could potentially host things if only in the short term until a more permanent solution is found. Or maybe they would be kind enough to host permanently. Perhaps it could be a completely community-driven effort that's hosted in the cloud. I've seen enough posts over the years from users willing to make contributions to make this feasible, although actually coughing up the cash could be a different matter.

Bandwidth up/down per month.
    Infoseek database size.
    Infoseek database engine (although DTS should make this negligible)
    Forums database size
    Total Archive File size.
    etc

Perhaps WoS shouldn't be accountable to a single server (although I certainly appreciate the benefits of this) but different servers, supported by multiple admins, could provide "services" that are part of the WoS whole. Forums on one server, Archive on another, Magazine images on another, etc.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
  • edited July 2016
    Vampyre wrote: »
    We're trying to save WoS, not encourage more trolls!!!!

I honestly wasn't criticising, although in fairness it probably didn't come across that way!

One of the things that might be useful is some info on what WoS actually takes up so some costs could be weighed up. There are undoubtedly some users who have access to Web/Database Servers and could potentially host things if only in the short term until a more permanent solution is found. Or maybe they would be kind enough to host permanently. Perhaps it could be a completely community-driven effort that's hosted in the cloud. I've seen enough posts over the years from users willing to make contributions to make this feasible, although actually coughing up the cash could be a different matter.

Bandwidth up/down per month.
    Infoseek database size.
    Infoseek database engine (although DTS should make this negligible)
    Forums database size
    Total Archive File size.
    etc

Perhaps WoS shouldn't be accountable to a single server (although I certainly appreciate the benefits of this) but different servers, supported by multiple admins, could provide "services" that are part of the WoS whole. Forums on one server, Archive on another, Magazine images on another, etc.

Just throwing some ideas out there.
    Don't worry, it wasn't taken as criticism!!!

Please keep throwing the ideas out as you never know what Lee will spot as potential.

Post edited by rich_chandler on
  • Well, this is all going swimmingly. :-L
  • Dave_C wrote: »
    Well, this is all going swimmingly. :-L
    Indeed, not how we were hoping it would go...
  • What I want to know is how the hell Polo's gotten away without being banned yet? :)
  • Dunny wrote: »
    What I want to know is how the hell Polo's gotten away without being banned yet? :)
    I've banned him three times but every time I do so I get him on the phone almost immediately blubbing like a baby pleading to be given another chance.

That guy has had more chances than rubberkeys...
  • Bloody hell! I'd have missed this thread if it weren't for MAK's poll :O

This is horrible, but understandable I suppose, even though I have no real knowledge of the extent of all the bullshit that's going on behind the scenes.

As the one person who could have ran his mouth a lot about all the stuff going on, and at one time probably would have I think I may be one of the few people here who's stuck their oar in the least, over the last few months. Silent optimism on my part I suppose, sitting back and keeping quiet hoping everything would smooth itself out.

Wish I'd stirred some sh*t now ;)

No but in all seriousness if you're really quitting Foggy I'd just like to say thanks for all you did do in keeping WOS going for the time being. It can't have been easy and if you're really getting slammed with all kinds of hateful crap, then I can see exactly how it might suck your enthusiasm dry.

Good luck with all your future projects, and even if you're not building and maintaining WOS I hope you'll continue to be a mod, yes I've been a dick at times in the past, but it'll be weird here without you, you've been here since I joined, (...and probably long before that) and I think you've only actually told me off about twice :))

Karingal on the other hand! ;)

*hides...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • Bloody hell! I'd have missed this thread if it weren't for MAK's poll :O

This is horrible, but understandable I suppose, even though I have no real knowledge of the extent of all the bullshit that's going on behind the scenes.

As the one person who could have ran his mouth a lot about all the stuff going on, and at one time probably would have I think I may be one of the few people here who's stuck their oar in the least, over the last few months. Silent optimism on my part I suppose, sitting back and keeping quiet hoping everything would smooth itself out.

Wish I'd stirred some sh*t now ;)

No but in all seriousness if you're really quitting Foggy I'd just like to say thanks for all you did do in keeping WOS going for the time being. It can't have been easy and if you're really getting slammed with all kinds of hateful crap, then I can see exactly how it might suck your enthusiasm dry.

Good luck with all your future projects, and even if you're not building and maintaining WOS I hope you'll continue to be a mod, yes I've been a dick at times in the past, but it'll be weird here without you, you've been here since I joined, (...and probably long before that) and I think you've only actually told me off about twice :))

Karingal on the other hand! ;)

*hides...
    Tsk...

...and we were getting along so well.
  • Zadoc wrote: »

You're pretty super hostile for basically no reasons.

mods on small web sites <<<<< traffic wardens

• weesam wrote: »
    Zadoc wrote: »

You're pretty super hostile for basically no reasons.

mods on small web sites <<<<< traffic wardens

If you don't like the moderation here then no-one is forcing you to stay...
  • After approaching another weekend full of enthusiasm towards WoS and how it's heading, and spending most of it fighting spam and online abuse, I have with a heavy heart decided it's not worth the hassle. It's a lot of work and expense that is done for love - and it's love that's not there anymore. Therefore, I will continue to fund and host the site and forums for 8 weeks whilst a replacement is found. At that point I will be ending my support for the site.
    I do wish it hadn't come to this but I can't be bothered to fight nick and his cronies in every corner of the web. I'll answer any questions relating to hosting and the work needed to keep WoS going.

Can you be more specific, what kind of spam and online abuse we're talking?
    Who the hell is "nick" and what is the background of this whole story?
    Why do you have to fight with anyone "in every corner of the web", you just need to mantain wos.
    I still dont understand, how individual or group outside of the site, may be the cause of that wos stop working or reason that you stop hosting site?
    If you cant continue to run wos, that's fine, there will always be someone else who is willing to take the job.
    When wos was offline, Spectrum fans were quickly organized and launched an alternative forum, in the good old wos style and there was no problem.
    To my knowledge all wos database can be downloaded as archive, and I assume that you have a backup of the whole forum too.
    My impression is, that a lot of things here going on behind the scenes, since Martjin left wos, but maybe its just me...
  • ffs... sad news again?!...

And it all seemed to be going smoothly now... Slowly, true, but in a apparent positive path...

( Who the hell is that NickH and what is he doing to WoS? )
  • edited July 2016
    NickH runs Your Sinclair Rock and Roll Years. Browse through his Twitter feed and you will appreciate the concerns.
    Post edited by jonesypeter on
  • Check out his Twitter feed @YourSinclairRRY but be warned he is extremely biased against anybody running or modding WoS who's name isn't Martijn...
  • NickH runs Your Sinclair Rock and Roll Years. Browse through his Twitter feed and you will appreciate the concerns. As to why all this started I don't know the answer to that one.

I banned him from the forums for 2 weeks about 10yrs ago because he was reporting every post on the forum and filling my inbox with pathetic complaints.

My test signature