Had enough

Comments

• Ah, NickH. Creator of many 'YS Rock N Roll Years' videos using music he has no permission to use.

Then when he's having a massive pro-copyright rant on comp.sys.sinclair, you bring this up, he suddenly goes mental at you and starts a wave of personal attacks. (And continues to do so years after I left that usenet group. I was told he had a sneer about a TV appearance I made ten years back!)

Haven't thought about him in ages, and I guess it's a bit hypocritical of me to bring him up now, but yeah, he's quite a loon and has rubbed up many ZX Spectrum fans the wrong way, such as contributors to the scene.
    Twitter: @peteprodge
    Not happy with the childish and pathetic way these forums have been manipulated by those with access to the database.
  • edited July 2016
    Why oh why are people moaning on and on via Wikipedia about the preservation shop. It's not been open for years. Also the administation of the site was passed to Lee. These people aren't Spectrum fans at all. They are just agitators .
    Post edited by jonesypeter on
    Thanked by 11024MAK
  • I thought that said alligators for a second there? :))

Although that would fit the bill I guess...
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I thought that said alligators for a second there? :))

Although that would fit the bill I guess...

I did have to check my spelling!

• No it's my sleep deprived, and booze addled mind playing tricks on me again 8-}
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • See ya later agitator
    Professional Mel-the-Bell Simulator................"So realistic, I found myself reaching for the Kleenex King-Size!" - Richard Darling
  • Speccy still holds a lot of value to me, and losing WoS would apparently mean losing a big piece of that value. But, whatever must be, must be. In any case, I do appreciate the effort required to keep the site running.
  • See ya later agitator

In a while...erm pe...erm croc....erm.... er
  • It is very sad that it has come to this. I hope something can be done to save the site as it is an invaluable reference and source of support. If there is anything I can do to help let me know
  • edited July 2016
    @Lee i know you have given eight weeks notice, but then said you won't let the site die. Do I need to save all those lovely code snippets from the forum, or will it be hosted somewhere for us to access?

I appreciate their are still discussions behind the scenes, but I'm sure you will give us as much notice as possible if worst case happens.

Also updates on this discussion dont appear in latests posts on the forum frint page.
  • He will give confirmation...

5 -4 - 3 - 2 - 1 BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
    Thanked by 1jonesypeter
  • karingal wrote: »
    He will give confirmation...

*mops up an exploded karingal*
  • GreenCard wrote: »
    karingal wrote: »

messy,,,,,
    So far, so meh :)
  • GreenCard wrote: »

I hope you were wearing appropriate PPE.

• 1024MAK wrote: »
    GreenCard wrote: »

I hope you were wearing appropriate PPE.

Probably a full contamination outfit hehe
    So far, so meh :)
  • It's very sad that it's come to this, i know there's been a lot going on behind the scenes, well i hope they're happy with themselves now.
    I really don't want wos to die - where else will i post all my culinary delights? :D
    We must perform a quirkafleeg
  • zx1 wrote: »
    where else will i post all my culinary delights? :D
    ...Through your annoying neighbour's letterbox... :P
  • beanz wrote: »
    Who exactly is this Nick H bloke?

He's the David Icke of the Spectrum scene.

I wont give him that much credit

• Yep will be sad to see the site go. All the hard work from the community over the years, putting all the archives together, lost due to one individual moaning and bitching about how they don't like the site run. Seems a shame :(
  • Sorry for being naïve. But who is / are these guys and where do they post? What have they said?
  • Sorry for being naïve. But who is / are these guys and where do they post? What have they said?

https://twitter.com/YourSinclairRRY
    My test signature
    YourSinclairRRY - Twitter, Facebook & website.
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...

https://twitter.com/YourSinclairRRY

My god the man's obsessed, he clearly needs psychological help. To bang on and on about another site, clearly means not much exiting must be happening at his end. If he put as much work in to his own site as he did bashing WOS and those that are looking after it, he could probably offer something useful to our community.
    Calling all ASCII Art Architects Visit the WOS Wall of Text and contribute: https://www.yourworldoftext.com/wos
  • edited July 2016
    I just ran into this discussion, after a rather long time of absence from the WOS forum due to more pressing matters I had to cope with (mainly related to my job). I'd just wish to say that although I am still rather annoyed to see the WOS archive not updated since 2 years and a half, the whole thing seems so pointless and stupid to me that I can't believe it's actually going on. We are no more 10 years old, we are all adults - the majority of us, I believe, well into their 40's - and these continuous, gratuitous attacks on Lee and Richard look like schoolyard rants to me.

I cannot say I always liked the way Lee and Richard managed WoS, and there were quite a few times I disagreed with their views, and the way they were, in my opinion, unnecessarily hard on some of us (Ralf for example). But at the same time I reckoned their sincere efforts to let the website and community I have been a member of for almost 20 years exist against all odds.

At the same time, I must say I appreciate the work Nick has done with his website, which I perused several times during these years (although I read Sinclair User :)) ) and cannot understand why on earth should he dismiss in a such destructive way the work of others instead of celebrating the good old times and keep their memory for the younger generations like - I am sure - the vast majority of us would do. Or maybe, he's got a vastly inflated ego and believes to be the bearer of the True Word - should that be the case, I would be sorry for him, for that's a very nasty delusion.

I understand Lee's decision; what he has done until now might not have been perfect, but it is no mean feat either, especially considering how everyone of us must deal with many pressures from real life. And I wholeheartedly support the idea that WOS should continue to be free from any form of advertising. This has always been an enthusiast site and community, without any commercial intention (also due to agreements with publishers) and should stay that way.

I only hope that WOS will continue to exist and be the major hub for anything Spectrum-related in the Web. No mailing list or Facebook group can be as comprehensive as WOS is.
    Post edited by Alessandro Grussu on
  • Well this is a proper how to do, I nearly missed this topic completely.

What exactly is the problem, can ayone succinctly express it in a couple of sentences. ??

What do people want from WOS ??, what do they want it to be ?? I think these q's need to be answered before anyone or group of anyones can proceed on transferring WOS.

As an aside i'd like to thank Lee and the others for keeping WOS alive when Martijn moved on to pastures new and find it a shame things haven't worked out.

I'd hate for WOS to go the way of the DODO as it's place where everybody knows your nickname and we can all talk **** and hack and play with a 30+ year old piece of our childhood.
  • At the same time, I must say I appreciate the work Nick has done with his website, which I perused several times during these years (although I read Sinclair User ) and cannot understand why on earth should he dismiss in a such destructive way the work of others instead of celebrating the good old times and keep their memory for the younger generations like - I am sure - the vast majority of us would do. Or maybe, he's got a vastly inflated ego and believes to be the bearer of the True Word - should that be the case, I would be sorry for him, for that's a very nasty delusion.

I don't know much about the situation but I'll make a comment. Hell, yeah ;)

NickH is actually quite a productive person. He runs that Sinclair User website, updates it regularly, he made those videos about Spectrum games which were quite entertaining, he had several thousands posts here on WOS, most of them constructive and on subject.

And there is other side of a coin - he has conflicts with some people, running for years, sometimes even 10 years or so. Probably nobody involved actually remembers how it all began ;)

I always knew about his conflict with Aowen who is a difficult person himself imo and that would explain situation a little bit but now I see it's more persons involved.

My advice - stay away from comments like 'My god the man's obsessed, he clearly needs psychological help'. It's offensive and would make anybody fight back. Don't add fuel to that fire. Maybe it will extinguish one day and we'll talk just and only about Zx Spectrum, as supposed ;)
  • "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."

• edited July 2016
    Ralf wrote: »
    At the same time, I must say I appreciate the work Nick has done with his website, which I perused several times during these years (although I read Sinclair User ) and cannot understand why on earth should he dismiss in a such destructive way the work of others instead of celebrating the good old times and keep their memory for the younger generations like - I am sure - the vast majority of us would do. Or maybe, he's got a vastly inflated ego and believes to be the bearer of the True Word - should that be the case, I would be sorry for him, for that's a very nasty delusion.

I don't know much about the situation but I'll make a comment. Hell, yeah ;)

NickH is actually quite a productive person. He runs that Sinclair User website, updates it regularly, he made those videos about Spectrum games which were quite entertaining, he had several thousands posts here on WOS, most of them constructive and on subject.

Hi Ralph. Sorry to be pedantic but it's Your Sinclair rather than Sinclair User. That site disappeared some time ago SU was always the magazine your mum and dad chose for you. Full of education articles, at least in its early years!

Thanked by 1Ralf
  • I just ran into this discussion, after a rather long time of absence from the WOS forum due to more pressing matters I had to cope with (mainly related to my job). I'd just wish to say that although I am still rather annoyed to see the WOS archive not updated since 2 years and a half, the whole thing seems so pointless and stupid to me that I can't believe it's actually going on. We are no more 10 years old, we are all adults - the majority of us, I believe, well into their 40's - and these continuous, gratuitous attacks on Lee and Richard look like schoolyard rants to me.

I cannot say I always liked the way Lee and Richard managed WoS, and there were quite a few times I disagreed with their views, and the way they were, in my opinion, unnecessarily hard on some of us (Ralf for example). But at the same time I reckoned their sincere efforts to let the website and community I have been a member of for almost 20 years exist against all odds.

At the same time, I must say I appreciate the work Nick has done with his website, which I perused several times during these years (although I read Sinclair User :)) ) and cannot understand why on earth should he dismiss in a such destructive way the work of others instead of celebrating the good old times and keep their memory for the younger generations like - I am sure - the vast majority of us would do. Or maybe, he's got a vastly inflated ego and believes to be the bearer of the True Word - should that be the case, I would be sorry for him, for that's a very nasty delusion.

I understand Lee's decision; what he has done until now might not have been perfect, but it is no mean feat either, especially considering how everyone of us must deal with many pressures from real life. And I wholeheartedly support the idea that WOS should continue to be free from any form of advertising. This has always been an enthusiast site and community, without any commercial intention (also due to agreements with publishers) and should stay that way.

I only hope that WOS will continue to exist and be the major hub for anything Spectrum-related in the Web. No mailing list or Facebook group can be as comprehensive as WOS is.

I was trying to write a long post detailing my opinions but fortunately Grussu just summarized everything I had to say!

In a nutshell: Although I sometimes disagreed with certain WoS management decisions (frankly I still do, for instance I think banning Zadoc was absurd), I'm also very much grateful for all the effort dedicated to WoS, especially from Lee. Whenever I pointed out the former, I also made clear the latter.

Besides the effort invested on the new site that didn't work out, there's also all the work they have been dedicating daily to keep WoS running for the last couple years. That's no small feat! Opinion differences aside, they have been clearly doing it with their best intentions, out of passion. I'm sure we all deeply appreciate it.

Please keep us informed about any new decisions. Personally I'm not willing to take over this kind of task, but even so, I have been considering other ways I could help...
    Creator of ZXDB, BIFROST/NIRVANA, ZX7/RCS, etc. I don't frequent this forum anymore, please look for me elsewhere.
    Thanked by 1Alessandro Grussu
  • "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."

That's going in my sig :)

The comp.sys.sinclair crap games competition 2015
    "Let's not be childish. Let's play Spectrum games."