Which 16-Bit games did you always want an 8-Bit conversion of?

Harlequin is a strategy-based platform game for the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST released in 1992 by Gremlin Graphics.

Comments

• That game just doesn't look fun at all...

People are going to jump me for being an Amiga Hater again, but that does look like generic Amiga Fare.

Hmmmm? Maybe playing the game will convince me otherwise? But probably not...

Can't really think of any 16 bit games I'd want on the Speccy tbh, the small handful of games that I liked on the bigger machines also made it to the Speccy. If they didn't it's probably cos' they wouldn't convert well.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • From games that could be converted, Jumping Jackson first comes to mind.
    Music is an important part of the game, so that the 128k version was only possible.

I would also like to see the conversion of the Indy 500 racing, but its not too realistic.
  • That looks alright, reminds me a bit of Humphrey.
    You can't expect me to have lunch with a man who's favourite part of the chicken is the right wing!
  • I'd like to see a sensible version of Brattacus (one without the silly controls). But oh of course that would be Bandersnatch or Psyclapse wouldn't it?
    Might be worth a visit to luny.co.uk.
  • edited July 2016
    There was a vertically scrolling breakout clone with was one of the best Amiga/ST games in my opinion, I always forget the name of it though.
    Vertical scrolling is very easy to do on spectrum

One of the annoying things about the Amiga are the platform games, they seem to be programmed and designed by the same person, whereas Mario Bros. seems to be designed by Miyamoto and programmed by somone else.
    Post edited by slenkar on
  • The Killing Game Show shouldn't be too hard.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • Quite liked Darkseed on the amiga. Not so sure how well it would have worked on the Spectrum however.
    No one important.
  • I would have liked to see Cadaver on the Speccy, where that genre of game really began.
    2907_dbs1.png
  • Cadaver sounds like a cross between an Ultimate game and Fairlight. Could have worked perhaps.
    No one important.
  • If it wasn't obvious, P.O.W.

Although it's an arcade game, it uses a 16 Bit processor (Motorola 68000), so it's a 16 bit game from the start of 16 bit era.
  • It's not for the Speccy, but there is at least one 8-bit version of P.O.W.

But if you like the arcade like me......Which you obviously do, you've probably already played this before.

....and if you like the arcade like me.....which you obviously do, you probably find this version to be a complete sacrilegious insult of an abomination.

Although I will be honest I replayed P.O.W. the arcade a while back, and I didn't like it as much as I used to, still a good game though, but I feel it's more a of a nostalgia thing for me now. I feel like maybe if I'd just played it recently for the first time , I'd have been like "Ergh! Somebody tried to breed Double Dragon with Green Beret, and this was what happened"...
  • Bubble Ghost (1987) Atari ST

Game Boy version -
    http://garetro.com/Blog/?p=57
  • edited July 2016
    Sunset Riders

Post edited by Rebelstar on
  • DavidB wrote: »
    Quite liked Darkseed on the amiga. Not so sure how well it would have worked on the Spectrum however.

No one important.
  • DavidB wrote: »
    DavidB wrote: »
    Quite liked Darkseed on the amiga. Not so sure how well it would have worked on the Spectrum however.

Yeah that's way beyond what 8-Bit can do. If you are hoping for that then you should be asking for a basic version of Monkey Island. That could be done to some extent extent as long as it used mass storage like SD card
  • Puyo Puyo I would love to see. I think that could translate to the Speccy pretty well :).
    My only Speccy game (so far): a simple snake clone
  • chriswyatt wrote: »
    Puyo Puyo I would love to see. I think that could translate to the Speccy pretty well :).

Good call on Puyo Puyo, I'm actually surprised that game hasn't been converted in one form or another. Puzzle Drop type games do work really well on the Speccy if you ask me.
  • I think that one's deliberately designed around the vs. mode rather than a singular puzzle; wihout an AI opponent there isn't much of a 1-player game, and really good competitive AI is quite tricky to program.
    Joefish
    - IONIAN-GAMES.com -
  • It Came From The Desert, King Of Chicago and Rocket Ranger.
  • Projectyle (future sports sim).

Projectyle_-_1990_-_Electronic_Arts.jpg
    Post edited by Maroc's Other Projection on
    Cheeky Funster (53)
  • joefish wrote: »
    I think that one's deliberately designed around the vs. mode rather than a singular puzzle; wihout an AI opponent there isn't much of a 1-player game, and really good competitive AI is quite tricky to program.

Good point actually. I hadn't considered that. I reckon It could still be quite fun without an AI opponent however.

It's one of my favourite game franchises. Puyo Puyo 20th anniversary on the Wii is really fun, and possibly the best version so far; though unfortunately my copy stopped working with some error message in Japanese, and I haven't had the time or patience to try and get it working again. They seem to have some new versions out this year; haven't had a chance to check them out yet.
    My only Speccy game (so far): a simple snake clone
  • DM Boozefreak wanted Chav rebellion to be released !
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • For whatever reason, I can't think of anything appropriate except the obvious Mortal Kombat. Certainly, some of the conversions at the time were pretty good but still rather far from what could be done Imo
  • grey key wrote: »
    DM Boozefreak wanted Chav rebellion to be released !

If there was a game called Chav Rebellion I'd play it ;)
  • It is rumoured that they had to rob their entire wardrobe from shops and breaking into peoples houses
    Every time I read that the oldest person in the world has died, I have to do a quick check to see it isn't ME..........
  • Alien 3 from the NES/SMS and The Terminator from the MD/Genesis
  • One sixteen bit game I'd love to see ported to the Spectrum is Detective Chess. It's not a 16 bit game as in it was on the Atari ST or Amiga (as far as I know), but it's an old PC game that doesn't work on 64 bit Windows, so I assume it's 16 bit.

Fortunately, it's available to play in a browser, so 64 bit Windows users can still play it. But I want to be able to play it on my PSP on the train, so I'm hoping it gets converted to the Speccy.

DETPUZ1.GIF

Detective Chess is a puzzle game where you have to determine where a number of Chess pieces should be on a board, according to how many other pieces are in how many paths where they can be taken. It's easier to play than to explain, though you do need to understand the movement of each Chess piece to play the game. It's a very good game, with a novel (and not too taxing) idea behind it, with almost unlimited combinations of randomly generated layouts, and you can play it for free at:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/gerryq/detective-chess

Have a look at it, it's really good. And you can add or remove pieces to make the puzzles easier or harder, so it's not one of those puzzles that starts too hard, or offers consistently too little challenge.
  • Atari St version of Star Trek: The Rebel Universe. this also was released for the C64
  • Another vote for Sunset Riders!

Another game I'd like to be ported to Spectrum (but I don't know if it's 16 or 32 bit game though) is Lucas Arts' Indiana Jones and his desktop Adventures. And its 'brother' Yoda Stories.

I think its graphics and gameplay would fit well in a speccy game.