Firmware update

Hi!

I've recently got a Vega, it's working great, but I can't apply the firmware update downloaded from the official site. I copy the .bin file on the microSD root but the Vega don't do anything with it. The games copied to the SD work perfectly.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited August 2016
    It might already be up to date. Try holding down A when you boot it up, as I think that displays the current firmware version.

Also, in Folder Options (assuming you use Windows), it's worth disabling 'hide file extensions'. It might be that your file is named 'vega_firmware.bin.bin' or something.
    Post edited by chriswyatt on
    My only Speccy game (so far): a simple snake clone
  • Hi Chris!

If I hold A before turning on the Vega, it dosen't boot at all... it boots OK if I release A and reset it.

The filename is OK, I disable the "hide extensions" option since Windows 95 :D

Thanks for your answer!
  • edited August 2016
    Maybe it was another button. I can't remember the button you have to hold and an internet search didn't bring any results up. It would have been on the old Vega forum (which is, unfortunately, still down).

If you bought it recently and not second-hand, I would assume you have the latest firmware. Someone else had this same problem, and it was because their firmware was up-to-date.
  • Any news on the new firmware for the original vega?
  • edited December 2016
    I've not heard any updates on it. I've not even seen a single screenshot of this new UI. I've heard rumours (you can guess where from) that the software in the videos is the old one, but I do not trust the source; however it's mighty suspicious that we have not even glimpsed an early development version of this UI.

I will hold off updating to the new firmware (as excited as I get about new firmware) until I'm confident that I could easily roll back to the previous version. Number of reasons why:
    - Lack of technical updates. With the original Vega, Chris Smith was quick to answer technical questions. I have barely seen any technical details this time round, which either means they are still being ironed out, or that we are not getting such a close communication with the developer(s) this time round. Marketing waffle does not impress me in the slightest.
    - Legal statements released by both the old Vega staff and RCL, that seem to suggest that the handover of source code / documentation did not go smoothly.
    - I have not heard anything about improvements to TAP loading and TZX support, which was my main gripe with the original Vega (that, and the D-Pad). The issues with tape loading mean that some games are unplayable.

I did not invest in the Vega Plus as I wanted to read the reviews first and see if both of these things had improved this time round. D-Pad's are surprisingly complex and very hard to get right.
  • I too have a vega, but since all the legal happenings the site for information has been closed.
    How easy is it to put spectrum games on an SD card and play on the vega, and where are the best places to find spectrum games, I thought someone had said there were some saved on this site but I’ve never found them.
    Sorry for hijacking, just got carried away whilst reading
  • I too have a vega, but since all the legal happenings the site for information has been closed.
    How easy is it to put spectrum games on an SD card and play on the vega, and where are the best places to find spectrum games, I thought someone had said there were some saved on this site but I’ve never found them.
    Sorry for hijacking, just got carried away whilst reading
    Very easy.

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/games/index.html
    I wanna tell you a story 'bout a woman I know...
  • The key to show the version of the firmware is the Up button, on the joystick.