Fuse 1.3.3 released

A new release of Fuse, the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator, is now available at the SourceForge project:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fuse-emulator/

Highlights of this release include:
  • Add support for the hidden MEMPTR register
  • Mark new disks as needing to be saved
  • Show more information on disk modification status in menus
  • Fix multiple save of disks
  • Allow overwriting disk images

Many thanks to everyone who's contributed to this release. Source code and binaries for Windows are currenly available on the SourceForge site; compiled binaries for various other platforms should become available in the next few days.

Comments

• What’s the “hidden MEMPTR register”? Do you mean the WZ register pair that temporarily holds the operand of two- and three-byte instructions like JP, CALL, and EX (SP), HL?
    Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
    and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
    Member of the team that discovered, analyzed, and detailed the floating bus behavior on the ZX Spectrum +2A/+3.

A few Spectrum game fixes.
  • What’s the “hidden MEMPTR register”? Do you mean the WZ register pair that temporarily holds the operand of two- and three-byte instructions like JP, CALL, and EX (SP), HL?

Yes, AKA the WZ register pair.
    Thanked by 1Ast_A_Moore
  • Thanks for this, FUSE is fantastic!
  • Many thanks as usual, guys!

A quick question: does anyone maintain an up-to-date SDL build for Windows? I have an old version (1.1.10) which I like to use occasionally if I want to play something full-screen, but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from.

Alternatively, I'd genuinely love to finally see a full-screen option in the proper Windows port. I don't think I've asked for that for at least 18 months now, so..... :)
  • Not that I know of but it should be easy to build a fresh SDL version with the new release if you are familiar with compiling software (similar to the Windows instructions in the INSTALL file but using the flag --with-sdl instead of --with-win32).
  • Had a quick go at this over lunch and didn't make a great deal of progress with either Cygwin (something seems awry/missing when it tries to build libspectrum, possibly a missing Perl installation - Cygwin's installer is very unhelpful) or MSYS (seems to get further but complains about libspectrum.h not being found).

I'll go back and see if I can troubleshoot, but as a point of reference is everyone else building on UNIX rather than on Windows? And I installed MSYS2 rather than common or garden MSYS, was that a mistake?
  • edited February 2017
    I use MSYS2 now and don't have any real trouble building Fuse (or didn't last time a few months ago)

Getting Mingw and MSYS set up to build fuse was a total pain with all the various dependencies but MSYS2 was easy. I use the Mingw32 environment in MSYS2, not Mingw64 I don't know if that makes any difference.

The only problem I have is that it really doesn't like windows line endings. I get problems running the autogen script and things if I don't run dos2unix over all the scripts first to convert the line endings back to unix. This was the svn client being "helpful" and translating them. I don't know if the same problem will occur now that fuse has moved to git since as I say, I've not found time to build it myself recently.
    Post edited by guesser on
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • To compile the SDL UI you'll have to get all the SDL dev gubbins installed in msys2 of course.
    My rubbish website including the redrawn Amstrad schematics and the new home of the Sinclair FAQ wiki.
  • Thanks for the notes, at least I know I'm not starting from a bad place now. I'll go back and have another pop at it over the weekend, see how I get on.
  • edited February 2017
    When you select a RZX file for playing (menu File/Recording/Play), would it be possible to select/open more then one RZX file (multiselect)? These selected RZX files would replay automatically one by one in alphabetical order.

It would be really huge help for recording youtube walkthroughs from RZX archive, because some games contain big number of RZX files (one per level, e.g. Quadrax) and open every file manually in emulator is quite annoying. Many thanks.
    Post edited by Pavero on
  • As far as I know that isn't possible at the moment.

I suppose that it would be possible to hack Fuse to exit at the end of RZX playback and such a version could be scripted to record lots of movies.
  • SDL version of Fuse is really good, I use it with the Raspberry Pi almost two years, without any problems.
    Retropie package has always fresh updated version, I expect that this new one, will be available soon.
  • That's working brilliantly, hikoki - thanks so much! I never did manage to get my own build working. :(

You didn't happen to upload your revised notes and instructions anywhere, did you? I'd be interested to try and figure out just where it was that I went wrong.
  • @Lee Tonks
    ta for ta and enjoy
    I used Mingw on WinXP, will explain later..

BTW can you tell me if it is possible in Fuse-sdl to scale to fit display when in full screen?
    You'll know what I mean if you try EmuzWin. That emulator can display beautiful giant pixels at least on my monitor and fluently even though my PC is monocore with just 1gb ram
  • I usually run with the 'TV 3x' filter in full-screen mode. It doesn't fill the entire screen but it's nearly there (for me, at least).

With resolutions increasing all the time I've wondered if it's maybe time for a 'TV 4x', though? The normal Windows version still looks quite small at 3x on a 1920x1080 screen.
  • edited March 2017
    This is how I compiled Fuse-sdl for WinXP.

I followed the wiki's guide for MinGW + MSYS :
    https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/wiki/Building Fuse on Windows with MinGW and MSYS/

I used the most recent libraries and proceed as explained in the guide. Everything worked except for:
    - Latest libgpg-error did not work so I went for the same version as in the guide
    - Libpng gave me these errors.
    The first error was about some missing brackets on a certain file. I opened it and searched for the reported numbered line. I think it was an IF with two conditions which needed to be between brackets. Fixed
    The other error mentioned an "unknown type name ptrdiff_t"
    I googled around and found a solution. Just open the reported file and add "#include <stddef.h>". Fixed
    I think there was also some .c file with missing semicolons (error not shown in the screenshot).

As for the sdl library, @serbalgi told me to use sdl 1.2 since 2.0 is not officially supported by fuse. This worked just fine:
    ./configure && make && make install

Fuse gets configured this way:
    ./configure --without-win32 --with-sdl

To get fuse files in a different folder than the one with source files:
    make dist-win32-dir GROFF=""

Lastly, you have to place .dll files next to fuse.exe by hand.
    @serbalgi recommended the use of Dependency Walker to locate the files needed by fuse.exe
    All the dll were at C:\MinGW\bin except sdl.dll
    Post edited by hikoki on
    Thanked by 2Lee Tonks serbalgi
  • Thanks again, hikoki - I'll maybe give it another try.
  • edited March 2017
    The MinGW-w64 and MSYS2 environment is a lot easier:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/fuse-emulator/wiki/Building Fuse on Windows with MinGW-w64 and MSYS2/

hikoki is limited to Windows XP, though.
    Post edited by serbalgi on
  • edited March 2017
    Lee Tonks wrote: »
    I usually run with the 'TV 3x' filter in full-screen mode. It doesn't fill the entire screen but it's nearly there (for me, at least).

With resolutions increasing all the time I've wondered if it's maybe time for a 'TV 4x', though? The normal Windows version still looks quite small at 3x on a 1920x1080 screen.
    Yes, I run with 'TV 3x' filter in full-screen mode but it's not the same total scale that we can have with EmuzWin. It seems that some developer from Fuse wanted to implement this feature with SDL 2.
    I've read that one on the issues when playing Fuse with the PSP console is that the screen does not scale fully so the image looks a bit small on the screen
    Post edited by hikoki on