The BUSH cassette player CRS-132 Not for the Spectrum???

So - I needed a new tape player for loading my spectrum games - and I thought - 'why not buy a brand new one - rather than an old machine which may have faults?' ... So I bought this model, as it is the only one I could find which was currently being made.
It has the sockets I needed AND a USB (which in theory you could put Spectrum WAV files on and load them from) BUT despite the machine being fully functional - and sound clearly coming through the headphones if I connect those - my Spectrum (toastrack) cannot hear it AT ALL .. The sound is blocked from coming out the tape player speaker - but is NOT transferred to the Speccy....
Anyone know why?

Thanks

https://amazon.co.uk/Bush-Cassette-Player-Recorder-Black/dp/B01IMVYB4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491825182&sr=8-1&keywords=bush+tape+recorder

Comments

• Have you tried with a stereo-to-mono cable lead?
    Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • Sokurah wrote: »
    Have you tried with a stereo-to-mono cable lead?

No - so is that the answer? I presumed it would be already mono - but just checked - and it does come out of both headphones.

• retromad wrote: »
    Sokurah wrote: »
    Have you tried with a stereo-to-mono cable lead?

No - so is that the answer? I presumed it would be already mono - but just checked - and it does come out of both headphones.
    Well, there are no guarantees ... but it's the first thing thought of. ;)

Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
    My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation, SQIJ.
    Twitter: Sokurah
  • The Bush cassette player actually looks quite nice, sleek, all black plastic casing.
    the USB socket would be a great addition if it works as you intended.
    It would be a shame if it didn't work properly.
  • if your using a standard stereo 3.5 lead it won't work as a stereo jack plugged into a speccy only makes connection with the left and right channel not the ground part of the jack, I brought a cheap stereo to mono off ebay about £2 still couldnt hear anything so stuck a headphone amp I had made as a booster, now it works great, I've just ordered a LM386 20x gain mini module off ebay and wired that up and that works a charm too.
  • Yes, with the supplied grey and black mono cables (or any mono cables as Sokurah said) with this bush player needs a stereo to mono adaptor, I found out the hard way by replacing a working diode, using a multimeter and an oscilloscope. Save yourself the pain and spend a quid. ;)
  • okeydoke - could someone share a link or a jpg of what I should be looking for? I had a look on ebay and most seem to be mono - stereo ... as I expect that is what most people want to do. I'm not sure how to hone the search - and ended up buying a two quid stereo splitter - thinking if I only use one of the female sockets for my speccy lead - that might work... it didn't !
    I'm just not technically minded.
    Thanks in advance .
  • edited April 2017
    I believe what you need is something like this:

mproductimage_zpsk2um0s2i.jpeg

Ooops, it has to be 3.5mm on both ends, but I suppose you get the idea. Anyway, the tip must have those two isolating rings and three shiny segments.

In my case I am using a portable CD player "phones" stereo jack output to match mono spectrum "ear" cable.

Fotografia3230_zpso6mfpvbg.jpg
    Post edited by Renegade on
  • Yeah, http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=350841809930&globalID=EBAY-GB there's loads of sellers selling the same thing. 3.5 stereo mono adaptor should be enough to search for.
  • Thanks chaps - I'll try again and keep you posted on whether this player is a good one - you CAN definitely put game WAVs on a USB and play them... it's just a case of getting the Speccy to hear it now...
  • If you crank the volume up on the bush, and make sure nothing is plugged in to the headphone jack and if it's loud as hell, it'll work. I got lucky with mine and bought a 2nd hand one on the bay for a fiver.
  • edited April 2017
    The second link Mark posted is the exact one I have just brought, works great but I still need an amp to boost to required levels, I've basically chopped one of the leads and stuck a LM386 cheapo £2 module in between and connected a micro usb as power. So I have one lead amplified and one standard.
    Post edited by povvercrazy on
  • Oh and that Bush cassette player is available on ebay from argos for £25 (its also in argos stores for £25),
    I've seen other resellers cheaper looking at reviews record levels are low and noisy but not sure if that
    applies to mic or line recording, I've been looking at it myself.
  • It's most confusing that Bush machine appears to be a mono unit with a stereo output jack. However I think all is happening here is the mono output is split into 2 channels via the headphone jack socket to give a stereo effect. With a pair of headphones connected is sound heard in both left, and right headphones? I bet you it is.

Why is there no output when the Spectrum mono cassette leads used? Well that's because (and as I have mentioned in several threads before here) a mono jack plug, such as those on Spectrum cassette leads, when plugged into a stereo device, will actually short right channel output of the stereo device to ground. It's how the jack plug connections are placed on the plug and socket. The 2 are incompatible with each other.

Now if that Bush recorder was a proper stereo output device, you would still get a distorted low output due to the heavy load put on the recorder's amplifier circuit, caused by the right channel output shorting to ground. But in the Bush case, it has split it's 1 channel output into 2, by using a stereo jack socket. Just like a stereo device, the right channel is shorted to ground when you insert the mono Spectrum cassette leads. Doing so, and worryingly it's shorts the whole output from the Bush to ground, via the right channel short. It's not surprising you hear nothing.

They've chosen to use a stereo socket basically wired double mono, thinking the consumer may wish to use stereo headphones on the device, so sound comes out both headphones. In the old days, if you plugged stereo headphones into a mono recorder, sound was only heard on the left headphone, again caused by the incompatibility of mono socket/stereo jack plug.

Easiest solution to your problem is use a Spectrum +3 cassette lead. They have a stereo 3.5mm jack at one end, and 2 mono 3.5mm jacks at the other. Plug the stereo end into the Bush, and one of the mono ends(don't matter which) into the Spectrum's EAR socket. Job done.

• The links Mark suggested are the one's.
  • It's most confusing that Bush machine appears to be a mono unit with a stereo output jack. However I think all is happening here is ....

Thanks everyone - And that all makes sense now. I finally got one of these leads (from Mark's link) in the post today - And you're 100 % correct. Not only is it now working - but it works like a charm - very reliable loader - loads games my other tape recorder had issues with - AND the USB loaded 'The Dark' off a WAV - no problem whatsoever ! Very happy with it :)
  • You could use that lead plug it into your phone and use teezix or tap dancer to load programme in too
  • Pleased it's working for you now retro. :D Don't suppose it mentions at all in the instructions which file type/bit rates it supports for playing back and recording via USB? Just thinking of the possibility this machine may be useful for creating tap/tzx files for archiving original Spectrum tapes. I have seen reviews of similar devices that encode the audio for USB at a mono mp3 low bit rate of just 64kbps.
  • Can't see any info like that - but here's the link for the instructions PDF.

argos-support.co.uk/uploads/5740413_D001.pdf?direct
  • edited April 2017
    Thought I'd make a video of it...

https://youtu.be/Xz4FikP2O3o
    Post edited by retromad on
  • Good video mate I'm sure that will help many others when purchasing this recorder. Those leads are fine for rubber key models, to the Spectrum+128. However the Spectrum+3 will require a stereo jack plug fitting on it's ear connection to the cassette recorder, otherwise it will cause the same problem as retromad had. This would also apply to other micro's as well like the Dragon 32, or Amstrad CPC664/6128 etc. Another alternative is to replace the recorder's ear socket with a mono one, but that maybe easier said than done. A short adapter lead would make a nice easy work around too. I'd be willing to make some of these up if there's any taker's for them.
  • A short adapter lead would make a nice easy work around too. I'd be willing to make some of these up if there's any taker's for them.

No need, here it already be:-

ebay.co.uk/itm/3-5mm-MONO-Jack-Socket-Female-to-3-5mm-STEREO-Plug-Male-Adaptor-Connector-/370861911048?hash=item565917ac08:g:FdIAAOSwbqpT7i-x

• I wonder if the two channel output from the ear socket is the issue with my Sony TCM-939 recorder as well, as it just doesn't seem to have enough oomph for the Spectrum?

• I have heard that the CRS-132 is now being sold alongside a supposedly less good Bush model .These online Reviewers have said to make sure you get the Bush CRS-132 and not the Bush substitute model- interesting . I will check this out again .
  • Reply to protek.

Yes that is a good point . The recorders have now "despecialized " away from the micro user and let the market take a new track . That could be an important factor when choosing what to buy -new or old?
  • Protek, that unit should be OK in most cases. Not quite sure why you're having issues ? Decent 'mono' lead yes ? A stereo one (3pins on it) never seems quite right even though it makes contact.

harriushherbario, used vs new. Its not (as you know!) as simple as saying "new is going to be better" as although you potentially do away with old electronics and worn mechanicals in some cases the build quality of newer bits is quite poor compared to older ones, TV's are a good example here as are some of the very last (UK at least) VHS video units, quality was a bit iffy whereas earlier units were not "built to price" they were half built to last! :D , but the flipside on the tape issue is you may have to then deal with worn mechanisms or suchlike. To be honest unless I could get a decent TCM I'd probably get a good used TR30 , but before I purchased *any* used model, I would take 5 minutes to check to see what else it was called *and* more importantly how easy it would be to find a service kit. The TCM ons is a bit like trying to find a dodo egg! :D
  • Stereo / two channel 3.5mm jack plugs are NOT electrically compatible with mono (single channel) jack sockets.

Mono jack plugs are NOT electrically compatible with stereo jack sockets.

The reason being, the contacts do not line up correctly.

So please use the correct plug in the relevant socket!

Mark
  • 1024MAK wrote: »
    So please use the correct plug in the relevant socket!

Mark
    That's what I said! :D , well kind of. I know exactly what you mean though, it half works in that it might connect or might not depending on if its left or right 'connected' and the plug design and socket type to a tiny degree by which I mean how far the plug insertion actually can go, if that makes a bit of sense ?